Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Which of you do not support England

Perhaps I''m in the minority but I just don''t get a buzz from watching England (or any other club or country for that matter). I hope that England do well but that''s as far as it goes. [8-|]

[quote user="keyser Soze"]I don''t see how you can be a footy fan and not support your national team? It''s like living in Norwich and not being a city fan.

And also how can you not be exited about the world cup and call yourself ''gazzathegreat''.... unless your not refering to the legend of italia 90![/quote]

Don''t you think there have been some pretty good reasons posted on this thread?

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

Don''t you think there have been some pretty good reasons posted on this thread?[/quote]Well, all we''ve had so far are:1) The England players are morons2) There is a contingent of England fans who are morons3) I am not even English; I am Norfolkish (?!)... none of which are particularly "good reasons" for failing to support one''s country of origin in the largest and most prestigious international competition on the planet.

[quote user="hogesar"]Those who say they support Spain because of their style of play are probably the same people who moan about all the Glory Hunters around here not supporting Norwich.I think those who do not support our country in anyway are strongly in the minority and i can just disregard them entirely. Those who are not too fussed but will back England, well, in my view theres nothing wrong with that. I''ll show passion towards England and i''ll support them every step of the way and i''ll be very dissapointed when / if we do get knocked out. I''m English. It''s how it works. [:D][/quote]I am 100% Norwich, but in the premier league I follow Arsenal, not because they win trophies clearly they don''t, but because they play the most attractive football. In the world cup I do not have a team that I have any affinity towards so do the same, this time choosing Spain. Its not the same as supporting city though I don''t really care if they get knocked out. In all honesty I hope the best team wins, either that or I quite like a few upsets. North Korea beating Portugal would be class. I simply don''t feel particularly English, don''t like 95% of people who support England, can''t stand most of their players & am sick of the hype they get in the press.

Paul Lamberts Disciple RE: Point 3, what is so wrong with having a closer affinity to the county of my birth than the country as a whole? You might disagree, but why does it offend you so much that others feel differently?

[quote user="Paul Lamberts Disciple"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

Don''t you think there have been some pretty good reasons posted on this thread?[/quote]Well, all we''ve had so far are:1) The England players are morons2) There is a contingent of England fans who are morons3) I am not even English; I am Norfolkish (?!)... none of which are particularly "good reasons" for failing to support one''s country of origin in the largest and most prestigious international competition on the planet.[/quote]I think the vast majority of people on this thread are saying that they are supporting England, just not that passionately/as passionately as they support Norwich City.  And I''m one of those people, because of (1) & (2) above, but yes, I will watch all the England matches and would be very happy if they (we) won the World Cup.Not sure about argument (3), I think that will have to wait until global warming raises the sea level and we become an autonomous island.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Paul Lamberts Disciple"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

Don''t you think there have been some pretty good reasons posted on this thread?[/quote]Well, all we''ve had so far are:1) The England players are morons2) There is a contingent of England fans who are morons3) I am not even English; I am Norfolkish (?!)... none of which are particularly "good reasons" for failing to support one''s country of origin in the largest and most prestigious international competition on the planet.[/quote]I think the vast majority of people on this thread are saying that they are supporting England, just not that passionately/as passionately as they support Norwich City.  And I''m one of those people, because of (1) & (2) above, but yes, I will watch all the England matches and would be very happy if they (we) won the World Cup.Not sure about argument (3), I think that will have to wait until global warming raises the sea level and we become an autonomous island.[/quote][Y]

In Dubious Battle,It doesn''t offend me, I just feel differently.Iinternational sporting competitions are one of the few things we have left - in domestic peacetime - with the potential to re-establish a collective national identity. This is something that has steadily declined since the war, strongly exacerbated by Conservative rule (I note your salient avatar in that regard - we agree on that at least!), to this point characterised by an endemic, self-deprecating national malaise. In my view, this is a fundamental cause of the progressive "breakdown" of British society.Of course my regional heritage is also a source of pride, but my county is still ultimately a sub-division of my Nation. Claiming and feeling otherwise is, to me, regressive. "Broken Britain" indeed.

I don''t particually support England because i don''t like watching them......i don''t want England to not do well, i just don''t like watching them, and what annoys me more, is all these people who love England moan like hell about the performances game in game out.......

[quote user="Paul Lamberts Disciple"]In Dubious Battle,

It doesn''t offend me, I just feel differently.

Iinternational sporting competitions are one of the few things we have left - in domestic peacetime - with the potential to re-establish a collective national identity. This is something that has steadily declined since the war, strongly exacerbated by Conservative rule (I note your salient avatar in that regard - we agree on that at least!), to this point characterised by an endemic, self-deprecating national malaise. In my view, this is a fundamental cause of the progressive "breakdown" of British society.

Of course my regional heritage is also a source of pride, but my county is still ultimately a sub-division of my Nation. Claiming and feeling otherwise is, to me, regressive. "Broken Britain" indeed.
[/quote]

Agreed, and I am very proud England fan, when i''m not supporting the Canaries [:D]

The likes of those who won''t get behind the national team really are sad individuals. Get a life you self loathing knobheads. Why the fuck you still live here is beyond me. The best comment yet."I''ll support Spain because they play attractive football !" Classic. How many kids do we lose supporting man ure over city because of the same reason? Norfolk born and proud and this county has contributed to a truly great nation more than most. Wind your bloody necks in.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]The likes of those who won''t get behind the national team really are sad individuals. Get a life you self loathing knobheads. Why the fuck you still live here is beyond me. The best comment yet."I''ll support Spain because they play attractive football !" Classic. How many kids do we lose supporting man ure over city because of the same reason? Norfolk born and proud and this county has contributed to a truly great nation more than most. Wind your bloody necks in.[/quote]Supporting another country is wrong, but not being that bothed about England isn''t really......Spain do play much better football than England, and they probably will be more entertaining to watch, but i seriously doubt there can be any English person who will ''support'' England over Spain....And i still want to know, why people who get so upset about English people not supporting the England national team, will get on their backs.... i bet all the people who write stupid reports in the papers will all say the support England, and moan at those who don''t.....it makes no sense....

D.O.B and Mister chops.

Have you actually been to an England game in the last few years? We are by far the best supporters in Europe. No more racism, unlike...ahem...Spain, no more hooligans unlike most of Europe but plenty of families enjoying the occasion. Get with the bloody times.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]D.O.B and Mister chops.

Have you actually been to an England game in the last few years? We are by far the best supporters in Europe. No more racism, unlike...ahem...Spain, no more hooligans unlike most of Europe but plenty of families enjoying the occasion. Get with the bloody times.[/quote]No, I''ve had the pleasure of watching England matches on big screens at the Riverside and in the city centre.  The fun!  The aggression!  The racism and violence!But don''t take my word for it...http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED13%20May%202010%2020%3A00%3A21%3A053

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]D.O.B and Mister chops.

Have you actually been to an England game in the last few years? We are by far the best supporters in Europe. No more racism, unlike...ahem...Spain, no more hooligans unlike most of Europe but plenty of families enjoying the occasion. Get with the bloody times.[/quote]Based on what, exactly?  No more hooligans - you''re kidding, right?  This is almost as laughable as your relative''s reference to the "cricket test", yet he went very quiet when I asked him who the English ex-pats in Spain would be supporting...

The thing is, people in Norfolk slag off fellow locals for following Man utd, Liverpool etc......then turn around and say im not supporting England im supporting Spain/Brasil because they play good football......the exact same thing that glory hunters from norwich say about why they support man U..........double standars?????

Also, if anyone has bothered to go to England matches you will know for at least 6 years there has been no racist behaviour or major hooligan activity......unlike spain "who play good football"....some of you believe too many newspapers about England followers being racist hooligans....its just not like that anymore...70s/80s granted....90s a bit, 00s apart from Euro 2000 barely any......take a closer look at Germans, Spainish, Italians etc....far worse than english now....they are all living 20 years behind the english.........

No more hooligans - you''re kidding, right?

Chops, ive followed England home and away since the 70s......just how many england away games have you been to and seen hooligans in action in recent years..........

Have you had the pleasure of watching it in Poland,Germany, Switzerland, Croatia, Italy, Spain,Greece to name but a few? I have. I''ll let you make your own conclusion. FFS, yes kids have a drink problem but are we really that bad? A few pissed chavs prevent you from supporting your nation? Jeez, such hardship. Try being a fan of El Salvador or Honduras!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Have you had the pleasure of watching it in Poland,Germany, Switzerland, Croatia, Italy, Spain,Greece to name but a few? I have. I''ll let you make your own conclusion. FFS, yes kids have a drink problem but are we really that bad? A few pissed chavs prevent you from supporting your nation? Jeez, such hardship. Try being a fan of El Salvador or Honduras![/quote]Oh, Jesus freaking Christ.  Please read my posts before you label me as some kind of communist traitor.[quote user="Mister Chops"]Someone else on this thread said it best.I

will cheer the team on when they play and will wish them success

in every match.  I will not get drunk and rampage around

the city in my England shirt with eight or nine other individuals,

drunk, aggressive, shouting and chanting and standing in front of

traffic, urinating in the street and picking fights at random with

passers-by who look "a bit foreign".I will support England, but

you can stick your "Ingurland" up your arse.[/quote]Thank you and goodnight!

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]I too support Switzerland as I have dual nationality (my father is swiss) and being 44 years old I have had to put up with people going on about England winning since I was born and the press really gets me down. I happily support england in all other sports and support all other "home" countries in football but when the press "big up" England before every competition then destroy them when they do not win it really winds me up.

Add to this the number of tossers that play for England that I would find it hard to support (although obviously this is not as difficult as it was when we were in the Prem)

If the press and fans could be a little more realistic about our chances and celebrate a level of success rather than call it failure (quarter or semi final ?) then maybe i could change my mind[/quote]good Man! Red Army!!!! Hop suisse! how many games shall we give Alex Frei before he gets sent off for nutting someone? lol

Chops.

Avoid Riverside,find a "nice" boozer and than you might avoid the minority "ingurland" supporters. If you don''t like ladies of the night go to the Ann Frank museum. Its the same all over.

I thank you and goodnight.

Also Chops you are quick to streotype and seem to have missed/ignored this question....please answer....

Chops, ive followed England home and away since the 70s......just how many england away games have you been to and seen hooligans in action in recent years.......... what have you seen 1st hand???

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Also Chops you are quick to streotype and seem to have missed/ignored this question....please answer....

Chops, ive followed England home and away since the 70s......just how many england away games have you been to and seen hooligans in action in recent years.......... what have you seen 1st hand???[/quote]I have been to zero away games and have therefore seen nothing "first hand" other than the revolting peasant chavs ransacking Norwich.  I have however seen numerous reports of trouble in cities where England are playing.  Of course, the BBC could just make it all up for a laugh...

I actually thought you knew a bit about the wider world but clearly not. Catch up mate,try watching other news channels, they have them on sky.

have been to zero away games and have therefore seen nothing "first hand" other than the revolting peasant chavs ransacking Norwich. I have however seen numerous reports of trouble in cities where England are playing. Of course, the BBC could just make it all up for a laugh...

So what of recent years??? You openly admit all you have seen is TV footage....let me let you in on a thing or two...............the press on numerous occasions in the past and to this day.....buy lads drink and offer them cash to throw a bottle or smash a window......ive seen this for myself a number of times.....of recent years lads have cottoned on to the press and tell them where to go....yes thopse gentlemen of the press are lovely fellows....also the press tend to leave out the parts where local gangs attack english fans in bars, and only show them reacting to being attacked......strange that hey...but then again the truth doesnt make good tv does it........I admit the lads from the 70s/80s/90s built this english hooligan reputation....but because of that England fans NOW have to put up with other countrys hooligans trying to make a name for themselves by kicking off with the english.....when was the last time your reliable source "The media"...provided you with jhooligan activity at england away games???.........You have the media as your evidence, i have my eyes and ears...........what would you trust.....something you see/hear....or a report in the papers..........