cambridgeshire canary

Goodbye Gibson, Giannoulis, Batth, Hooijdonk & Lima

4 minutes ago, ZLF said:

Decision to loan Lima rather than buy looks sound if we are rejecting him.   No surprise on the decisions so far tbh.

I thought it was only ever a loan option from his club, I've seen some rumours that some big clubs (no not Ipswich) want him, think it was Chelsea

17 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

In fairness I didn't include Godfrey and Andy Omo as both were not purchased by Webber.

Omobamidele was signed for us in 2021, so he most certainly was signed under Webber's tenure. He's only 21 now. 

The thing with Godfrey, and I would throw Maddison, Aarons, Cantwell and Lewis into the same category, is that whilst they were here before the arrival of Webber and Farke, I am not sure we can say with any confidence that they would have had the same career trajectory. None of them had really been involved in our first team. Maddison and Godfrey had been loaned out and not really given a chance. You could say it came too late for one or two others like Tofolo and Morris who could have benefitted from the approach a season or three earlier.

It is far too easy to dismiss that approach that was brought with Webber and Farke that they would ensure youngsters were given the chance and opportunity to develop and then play for our first team. It is utterly unrealistic to think that wouldn't start with players already at the club and only be built around players signed and brought in.

They were literally the result of the new philosophy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

We’ve got Hills, Warner, Tomkinson and Adegboyega to come back, all cb’s.   None were out at anything like Champs level, but Hills did win Accrington’s PoTS award - hopefully one or more will come through for next season.

You'd hope at least one of those four, maybe even two, might have enough to at least take up Batth's well worn bench seat.

I personally believe one will leave, one will be part of our first team and the other two back out on loan.

28 minutes ago, pete said:

Its still Dads Army with Barnes and Duffy still stealing a salary.  No chance of buying out their contracts.  

25 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Why? Would be expensive but if we're serious about a reset then get rid. If they're told they are not part of the plans for next season they may find themselves another club. 

Arsenal did it with Ozil and Aubameyang not too long ago, because they wanted to build a younger, close-knit group and they didn't want those two hanging around. 

It worked, so maybe Knapper will push to do the same here, rather than let them linger like we did with Naismith and Jarvis.

53 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

We’ve got Hills, Warner, Tomkinson and Adegboyega to come back, all cb’s.   None were out at anything like Champs level, but Hills did win Accrington’s PoTS award - hopefully one or more will come through for next season.

Mumba won Lge 1 young POTS at Plymouth and we all know how his return turned out! Doesn’t mean they get a chance here, although I would hope a couple of them do at least!

37 minutes ago, chicken said:

Omobamidele was signed for us in 2021, so he most certainly was signed under Webber's tenure. He's only 21 now. 

Screenshot_20240519-174406.thumb.png.f67f1528793994ad71e2b2691736ec24.png

The 17 year old centre-back has been at the club since July 2018. 

Which still makes him an arrival in the Webber era, but I think the point remains - he's a player who was brought through the academy rather than brought in for first team duty straight away. 

Lack of pace at CB has been an issue for a while now. It means we can't hold any kind of high line so we have to sit deep and when we play out we have to do the rope-a-dope way of sucking the opposition in instead of playing around them and getting up the pitch. I didn't enjoy that just the same as everyone else but Wagner either had that or knocking it long which most modern coaches won't do and the fans wouldn't have it either. 

If we can find a couple of CB's who are at least nearly as good at defending as our current lot but aren't as slow as tugboats and are decent at passing we could actually play some attacking football. If we go into next season with Hanley and Duffy together we either sit deep or we get ripped apart with balls over the top. I'd keep one, try to sell or loan the other and get two younger CB's who can play a bit with one of the young lads as 4th choice. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Makes sense to extend Sorensen's contract. The rest I'm not too fussed about.

Please don't let us start with Duffy and Hanley.

I guess Duffy is hanging around a bit longer until his court date for drink driving comes in 🙈👀

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Barnes and Duffy on over £30k a week allegedly, could that be true? 

Almost certainly unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Almost certainly unfortunately.

P-ssed against the wall. In more ways than one.

52 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Screenshot_20240519-174406.thumb.png.f67f1528793994ad71e2b2691736ec24.png

Which still makes him an arrival in the Webber era, but I think the point remains - he's a player who was brought through the academy rather than brought in for first team duty straight away. 

Sorry but no, the point doesn't remain. You were clearly trying to discredit Webber in having anything to do with him, yet the role of sporting director is to oversee the academy as well. Webber put additional emphasis on that and since his arrival, have had a stream of youngers brought through the academy into the first team squad. Very few of them were brought straight into the team as youngsters. Idah is another I believed.

It's a measured process. We still have a number of them in our squad. Rowe, Gunn, Idah is still signed to us. Fisher was 19 when he was signed for the U21s but impressed enough to be 2nd choice behind Stacey. Gibbs is another.

Webber deserves credit, he also deserves criticism. I don't see the need to try and discredit where there is no evidence to do so, only narrative to try and suggest he did less for us than he did.

2 hours ago, Satriales said:

Hopefully we will be buying a left back during the summer 😬 

…or they’ve decided that Shipley & Montoia are ready to take the plunge…

2 hours ago, Satriales said:

Hopefully we will be buying a left back during the summer 😬 

Montoya in the youth set up is very highly regarded so fingers crossed he can be the next one off the line 

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I would not be surprised to see the young lad who has been on loan at Accrington given a shot. Brad Hills is it? Said to have really impressed. 

We have 3 very promising young centre backs in Warner, Hills and Thomkinson. I’d expect at least one of those to break into the first team next season. 

I might be in the minority but think Gibson is a very good player at this level. Of the current centre back I would probably pick him plus one of the young lads who have been out on loan.

That said the maths don’t add up and he is out of contract whereas Hanley and Duffy are not. Interesting what he does next.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

I might be in the minority but think Gibson is a very good player at this level. Of the current centre back I would probably pick him plus one of the young lads who have been out on loan.

That said the maths don’t add up and he is out of contract whereas Hanley and Duffy are not. Interesting what he does next.

Meanwhile Leicester are paying 3 players over 100k a week at this level Jamie Vardy gets 100k a week more than we pay Gibson who’s our highest earner. Absolute mockery of FFP rules. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Gibbo will be a big miss . Against Leeds he was the only one to show any composure and the only one to bring the ball forward due to an invisible midfield . Zero creativity or organisational skills with Hanley and Duffy next year . 

Sure Gibbo will have no problem finding his next club .

Thought he was outstanding in the promotion season . The injury set him back a little but he has been outstanding since the turn of the year . 

Sorry to see him go - good luck mate ;

• Haha 1

Thank God we've seen the last of Gibson.

How he ever became a professional footballer is beyond me, but then again, he never became a professional footballer.

• Confused 3

Looks like Batth has said his goodbyes on social media.

Batth posted a message across his social media channels on Sunday evening in which he suggested that his departure from the club was imminent. He wrote: “Thankyou Norwich. It’s been a privilege to play for the club & I appreciate all your support this season! We ultimately fell short after reaching the playoffs but it has been a new experience & I look forward to what is next.”

1 minute ago, Making Plans said:

Thank God we've seen the last of Gibson.

How he ever became a professional footballer is beyond me, but then again, he never became a professional footballer.

Funny how people view things so differently, I think he's been our best CB throughout most of the time he's been here. Had his ups and downs like the rest of the team but I'd take him over Hanley or Duffy in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

I guess Duffy is hanging around a bit longer until his court date for drink driving comes in 🙈👀

Waiting time for jury trials at the moment is at least 2 years if he pleads not guilty. Which he almost certainly will, to get him through his lucrative contract, before changing his plea to guilty at the last possible moment.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Knapper has gone from Mr Procrastinator to The Terminator in one weekend!

To be fair these are not particularly difficult or surprising decisions. Deep down we knew what with Gibson's wages and parachute payments finished, it was unlikely he would be kept on.

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

To be fair these are not particularly difficult or surprising decisions. Deep down we knew what with Gibson's wages and parachute payments finished, it was unlikely he would be kept on.

I was joking. Sorry, maybe I should have used an emoji to make that clear.

3 hours ago, Well b back said:

I suspect he will have many suitors.

Be surprised if he isn’t back at Middlesbrough very soon

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Lack of pace at CB has been an issue for a while now. It means we can't hold any kind of high line so we have to sit deep and when we play out we have to do the rope-a-dope way of sucking the opposition in instead of playing around them and getting up the pitch. I didn't enjoy that just the same as everyone else but Wagner either had that or knocking it long which most modern coaches won't do and the fans wouldn't have it either. 

If we can find a couple of CB's who are at least nearly as good at defending as our current lot but aren't as slow as tugboats and are decent at passing we could actually play some attacking football. If we go into next season with Hanley and Duffy together we either sit deep or we get ripped apart with balls over the top. I'd keep one, try to sell or loan the other and get two younger CB's who can play a bit with one of the young lads as 4th choice. 

Do I need to repeat the story about Hanley at one point being the fastest player in the squad? Looks like it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Waiting time for jury trials at the moment is at least 2 years if he pleads not guilty. Which he almost certainly will, to get him through his lucrative contract, before changing his plea to guilty at the last possible moment.

He's charged with a summary only offence which means trial at the magistrates court.