Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Are there any domestic teams you actually like?

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Plenty of foreign clubs I like, but I find it hard to identify one other English team that I actually like?

Out of genuine curiosity, what foreign clubs are on your list? 

I could put almost every domestic team on a spectrum which ranged from really liked to hated.

Brighton? Am biased because I live nearby, but still.

They're owned by a local boy made good, good community club, play really nice stuff, doing a pretty good job at competing with the big clubs. Always happy to see them do well.

(Helps when we're not in the same league, of course - I went to the game in Farke's first PL season and they absolutely played us off the park - really made the chasm that we'd have to cross if we reach the PL again incredibly obvious...)

• Like 1

Bristol Rovers - used to live in Bristol and they were the first team I went to watch other than Norwich.

Cheltenham Town - worked for their sponsor in the 2010s, Mira showers. The company had free tickets to every home game and if you put your name down you'd get them once every 5 or 6 games.

Rochdale - Got family that live there. I went to watch them a couple of weeks ago on non-league day. I will never again moan about our half-time entertainment. Nothing screams Rochdale more than a fan trying to kick a football into one of those large industrial bins like they use at McDonalds. lol

Oh and an honourable mention to Cambridge United. I have accompanied a friend there on several occasions as his carer.

• Like 2

King's Lynn and that's about it. Although family members support Forest and Man City (through local links, not just random supporting) so I don't mind seeing them do well.

• Like 1

Leeds ............lovely club with lovely supporters 🤮

Watford-born there, lived in the area for 54 years, season ticket holder for Graham Taylor’s first 5 seasons.

1 hour ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Oh and an honourable mention to Cambridge United. I have accompanied a friend there on several occasions as his carer.

Should out to Peterborough while we are it.. I'm sure we will end up playing in the same leauge as one another some day

I've had a soft spot for Man Utd since the days of Beckham/Scholes/Ronaldo/Giggs and through watching Keane and Viera battling it out on the pitch, it's hard to watch those matches without some kind of bias forming and I think it's just stuck with me.  Fergie just delivered on entertainment and success.

The way you know if there's a team you like is if you'll always seek to watch or listen on the radio when they're playing, and United are like that for me.  But that's as far as it goes really. 

That said, i've watched Ipswich a lot this season, so maybe my logic is flawed!  😳

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Brighton? Am biased because I live nearby, but still.

I live close to Reading but I don't feel the same about them. Doesn't help that they have been a car-crash since Madejski left but even before I only ever went there to watch Norwich play.

My parents are from Walthamstow, so I have a soft spot for Spurs, but I still wouldn't say I'm a fan.

Posted (edited)

I live in Swindon but from the age of 8 I lived in the fine city, Never supported anyone  else and never will.

Edited by SwindonCanary

Birmingham City, live in Birmingham now, went regular when I moved up here due to knowing somebody connected to the club and now my son in law has a box there.

We have the box last game, so praying we don’t send them down in achieving our top 6 place, although I have a sneaky feeling we will win our next 2 and then play most of our under 21’s at Birmingham.

• Like 1

Northampton is where I was born and my mum and dad are season ticket holders so I always look at how they are doing.

Pretty obvious, I think.

We've now lived in South Norfolk longer than  the Orpington area, but I spent my youth cycling to the Valley every other week. Last watched them live in the mid-sixties  when I started playing local football myself, until the hammering at Carrow Road a few years ago, when I took the whole family to witness the humiliation.

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I hate everyone else....just depends on what scale

Start with 1) Ipswich...2)Liverpool and work downwards...

Saved me some typing/thinking. 

Thanks. 

Posted (edited)

I have a soft spot for the Devon teams since I lived there once and it's a lovely county. I really hope Plymouth survive. They beat us by playing football, unlike Sheff Wed who got their point by kicking the sh*t out of us - I hope they go back to L1 where they deserve to be with that kind of brutish industrial football. And I don't say that just because they were 'physical'. Preston were physical but on the whole not thuggish, just disciplined.

I also like Exeter. A nice city, with a football team on the rise. Torquay are a basket case at the moment, though, ten points deducted and in danger of slipping into the seventh tier of football.

Edited by canarybubbles

4 hours ago, Satriales said:

Out of genuine curiosity, what foreign clubs are on your list? 

I dont follow them, but I like them. Bilbao - I admire their club policies. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Inter Milan, sure there are others I've forgotten about

• Like 1

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Gillingham. I don't follow them as closely as Norwich, but I like to keep an eye on them, having been born in the Medway Towns.

My Grandad supported Gillingham so I suppose Im with you there. But it's more that I liked my Grandad than Gillingham

• Like 1