2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Hang on you were completely slating Sainz, you even had binners using your posts to laugh at us ?

I like @cambridgeshire canary a lot, but he (let's face it, he's a he) is a leaf in the wind of trend.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is only my view, but unless Madely admits an error, he can justify the red, even though it’s complete rubbish. Unfortunately the panel won’t be able to look at Howson’s challenge and give a retrospective red as ultimately that is the error that cost us.

I also think as well you only have an additional ban if it is considered a ridiculous appeal.

1 hour ago, Ashwood said:

My initial thought on this one was that it was a definite red card. However , having re watched it numerous times this morning, and in slow motion, it really doesn’t look like he was lashing out . His legs came up as much from the momentum of the hard tackle as anything else. Without a doubt , the ref was conned by Howson's ridiculous over reaction and his effort to deflect away from himself. If this red card is not rescinded, then surely we are only going to encourage players to cheat and feign injury. Howson should have been booked himself for his reactions 

It was clearly a massive overreaction from Howson, but I think it's clear that Sainz does make a jabbing movement with his right leg but not his left which kind of invalidates the 'all momentum' argument for me. Is it violent? Letter of the law, maybe, there's certainly intention there. I dunno. Doubt it will get overturned.

Still angry! Violent conduct my xxxx! Impossible to read intention into Sainz movement. On the other hand there was intention from both Howson and Ayling to needle and rough him up hoping he’d blow up. I can only see Sainz exercising restraint in the face of that provocation. It is that which makes this one of the worst decisions I’ve seen. 

I don't even think we should have to appeal, incidents that are just so glaringly wrong should be automatically overturned by the authorities, this is one. I'd go as far as to say Howson should be given a retrospective ban instead.

I expect the appeal to be dealt with tomorrow, if it's upheld then all well and good but if it fails then it's four games out as I don't believe they can make an exception of the rules regarding previous red cards.

My Boro supporting pal who was at the game messaged me today to day that upon reflection it was never a red and actually said Howson should have gone. All supportes feel the same but we know what the authorities think of supporters don't we

I keep reading about Borja’s ‘previous’ but as far as I remember it’s just 4 yellow card offences. I don’t think he has any previous for serious foul play or violent conduct?

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I keep reading about Borja’s ‘previous’ but as far as I remember it’s just 4 yellow card offences. I don’t think he has any previous for serious foul play or violent conduct?

Just looked on transfermarkt and that's his first straight red across 150 games played.  People just like to hate, but I think it's born from frustration too, that's all I can think as to why so many came on here in the past 24 hours calling him an idiot or thick.

• Like 3

Howson was one of my favourite players of that era but for me... I think there is more to his actions in that moment.

He actually commits after Sainz, and is first on his feet. Sainz is static at that point. Look where Howson puts his feet, how close he deliberately steps to Sainz. I don't think he goes to step on him, but he defenitely steps close enough to make contact with Sainz as if to assert some type of 'letting him know I'm there'.

It should never have been a red but I am not confident of an overturn. The ref was 5yrds away. If he didn't see it clearly it should not have been a red. Otherwise he did, and I can't see it changing sadly.

54 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Can they downgrade it to a Yellow card I wonder?? That could be a compromise.

The trouble is there is no half way measure on stuff like this. If the panel think he kicked out - even a little bit - they will uphold the ref's decision. They will view it simplistically - he either kicked out or he didn't.  Unfortunately, it looks as if he ever so slightly did put his foot in the direction of Howson's leg and made contact, however light.

It will be a ridiculous decision to uphold it in the light of it's being such a light contact, but ridiculous decisions are what we get from officialdom, who rarely seem to look at things like this with any common sense. If they review the incident with an open mind, they would reverse the red card and give Howson two yellows and a three match ban - a yellow for the foul and a yellow for trying to get a player sent off.

I do have to laugh at the various posts/tweets etc I have seen from people who seem to have first hand knowledge on how the appeals panel reach their decisions.  I must be the only person who hasn't been invited to sit on the panel.

9 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

I do have to laugh at the various posts/tweets etc I have seen from people who seem to have first hand knowledge on how the appeals panel reach their decisions.  I must be the only person who hasn't been invited to sit on the panel.

It's not rocket science.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

The trouble is there is no half way measure on stuff like this. If the panel think he kicked out - even a little bit - they will uphold the ref's decision. They will view it simplistically - he either kicked out or he didn't.  Unfortunately, it looks as if he ever so slightly did put his foot in the direction of Howson's leg and made contact, however light.

It will be a ridiculous decision to uphold it in the light of it's being such a light contact, but ridiculous decisions are what we get from officialdom, who rarely seem to look at things like this with any common sense. If they review the incident with an open mind, they would reverse the red card and give Howson two yellows and a three match ban - a yellow for the foul and a yellow for trying to get a player sent off.

Two yellows always results in a one-match ban (plus one match for any previous reds that season). Also, the panel does not allow for retrospective action against a player to be instigated upon review – which is a shame, because there is definitely a case for Howson receiving a red card for serious foul play.

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Delete this footage of me at once

29 minutes ago, norwich canary said:

I will run round the carra naked on Saturday if that gets overturned 

not a cat in hells chance 

God, no Waveney

We’ll all be on the shrink’s couch with full-on PTSD 😳

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's not rocket science.

That's your assumption, absolutely no one here knows the process the appeal panel goes through nor what guidelines they follow.

Fingers crossed he is free to play tomorrow.

I see that clattenberg is employed by forest; do we retain or have a consultant ref who we can seek advice on before making such an appeal?

Didn't see the game as I was working, just watched it back. The officiating was a joke. I saw the replay of the Sainz incident but when you see the context around it of how they we're hacking us down freely with no punishment I understand why he got wound up especially after feeling Howson's studs on his thigh. I'm wondering if when they look at the appeal they take that kind of context into account or if they just look at the incident in isolation. If the ref already had no control over the game that type of thing can happen, if he actually used any force or connected with Howson it would have been unacceptable regardless but it was a weak little flick that he pulled back from a split second later and barely grazed him and tbh it looked more like he was just kicking the air in frustration and not actually aiming a kick at Howson

Posted (edited)

I have no faith in the appeals ‘panel’ but if they had sense they would use such incidents to discourage players simulating injury to get players sent off!

Edited by Clever Farke

3 hours ago, norwich canary said:

Someone call the police

3 hours ago, norwich canary said:

I’m going to dig out my darkest of dark glasses for Saturday. 

• Like 1