cambridgeshire canary

Tzolis to be sold for 8 million?

Very strange what's happened with him. I can only imagine the deal that bought him here had a relatively low up front cost but a lot of extras based on appearances? Seems he's highly rated by lots of people, just no one in Norwich.

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I thought his contract was up this summer?

No, he signed a 5-year deal when we got him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Rather have him here than Fash..

Why would you stay here ? 

he looks like he is enjoying his football again and  he seems more happy in Germany ,

he didn't settle here and i very much doubt he wants to try it again 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Didn’t work out with us, take the money and run.  

Absolutely £8.5 million is a decent sum for a player that for one reason or another didn’t fit.

£8.5 million?! No chance. I think if you shift the decimal place one place to the left you’ll have a closer estimate. Can’t see us getting more than a few £ mil for him at the absolute most!

20 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

£8.5 million?! No chance. I think if you shift the decimal place one place to the left you’ll have a closer estimate. Can’t see us getting more than a few £ mil for him at the absolute most!

18 Games played this season. 9 Goals , 3 assists .

in this current climate and with his pedigree/ previous price tags 7-8 million euros seems about right maybe even cheap.

It will be a decent result for this long-running saga and useful money for Ben Knapper (hopefully.)

I persevered with having faith in this boy for as long as I did with Adam Idah, but there comes a time when the reality of the situation dawns upon you.

With Tzolis it seems that, for one reason or another, he failed to settle at Carrow Road. I suspect the famous penalty incident might have something to do with it, but it probably isn't the whole story, as he had opportunities since then and never really stood out.

• Like 1

A player with talent no doubt. I did watch a Fortuna game a couple of weeks back. Still lacks pace, doesn't track back and looks a bit heavy.

Sainz is better suited to us and English football and Fassnacht has a better all round game, so take the money and reinvest.

Edited by Capt. Pants
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Rather have him here than Fash..

Tzolis is a left sided player, and Fassnacht is a right sided or central player, so if your big idea to get Tzolis firing at Norwich is to play him out of position in a role that he isn't familiar in and hasn't thrived in then I would suggest that you go back to the drawing board.

So I'd rather we took the £8m, in fact snatch it out of their hand while its on offer, and stuck a year on top of whatever contract Sainz is on. Sainz has got the passion and drive required to succeed, Tzolis had his chances to impress and he simply didn't. Sainz meanwhile has taken his chance with both hands and is smashing it.

Sink or swim.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Wimbledoncanary said:

in this current climate and with his pedigree/ previous price tags 7-8 million euros seems about right maybe even cheap.

Before you get too excited, transfers above 10 million euros incredibly rare from Bundesliga 2 sides and they are usually players who have just been relegated.

Fortunate Dusseldorf have only ever sold one player in that ballpark and that was a player who was sold at the end of their relegation season who had just achieved double figures in the Bundesliga.

The quality and finances of Bundesliga 2 is not comparable to the Championship and I suspect that is the real reason Tzolis is thriving, that's why Christoph Zimmermann can go straight from looking absolutely finished here to finishing 2nd in the Bundesliga 2, and why Srbeny can go from looking about as good as Jordan Hugill here to scoring 16 in a season in Bundesliga 2.

And don't get my started on Marcel Franke who was considered one of the best centre backs in Bundesliga 2 before he came and looked completely out of his depth in the Championship.

• Like 1

Doubt he wants to return here. Especially if he’s got a chance to play for a bundesliga team. And we’ve got to raise funds somehow if refreshing our squad - and I’d rather it be him than Sara or Rowe. Albeit our ability to resist big bids on the latter two will also be hard, of course. But a bit easier if we sell Tzolis 

• Like 1

An £8m asset, why would we want that in our starting 11?  Sell him of course, it's the most progressive course of action.

I confess that I thought the loan to Düsseldorf was with a view to them buying him, presumably at an agreed price?  But if we can legitimately get more, that’s great.

17 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I confess that I thought the loan to Düsseldorf was with a view to them buying him, presumably at an agreed price?  But if we can legitimately get more, that’s great.

I believe there is an option if promoted, but from what I remember there was a general agreement amongst those in the know that it was probably out of financial reach for Dusseldorf regardless.

Tbh I'm long since over Tzolis. He probably wasn't handled properly early on, but certainly his mouthpiece on Twitter has been very vocal in the past 18 months. First it was unfair that he wasn't being played; he then got minutes but they were on the wrong wing. Then he played on that wing, but now wanted to play centrally. Then there was offence that he was expected to do defensive running 'like a centre mid'.

Doesn't sound at all like he wants to be at Norwich, and thats actually fine by me. Get a decent price and move on.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if we got that for him but delighted if so.

He's had a good season by all accounts but really hard to judge Bundesliga 2 - certainly seems to suit it better as his lack of pace and energy always seemed a problem here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wimbledoncanary said:

As @JonnyJonnyRowe mentions, I don’t necessarily think his performance this season could ever dictate such a fee. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we get more than £3-4 million for him. But it also wouldn’t surprise me if we couldn’t even shift him for that…

Sell him with a clever sell on percentage for when they mould him into a super star and sell him for mega millions.

focus on what we have here, use the £8m to fill some of the obvious financial hole and move on. Shame it didn’t work but too much of a risk to bring him back and for him to sink again. Bring Kamara through now Placheta has gone. 

13 hours ago, Wimbledoncanary said:

Nothing less than £15m with stats like that!

I assume knapper has seen him and decided cashing in and removing the wages is the right choice, and that's not a bad price.   Or could another head coach get better performances out of him the old runners wagner or could care less smith?

Fortuna Dusseldorf are trying to promote free football for match going fans. How would they find the money.

We have been told that Dusseldorf have the right to buy built into the loan deal. What we don't know is what the sale figure is.

If, for example, it was set at 5m and Wolfsburg are willing to pay 8m, all Dusseldorf have to do is buy at 5m, sell him on immediately, and voila, 3m for doing almost nothing.

Please note my 'if'.

19 hours ago, Google Bot said:

An £8m asset, why would we want that in our starting 11?  Sell him of course, it's the most progressive course of action.

The point is obvious. We got Sainz on a free and he's twice the player we can get £8m for. Yes Tzolis was a gamble which didn't pay off and you have to mark that as a negative against the club. Sainz is a big positive though. 

On 11/02/2024 at 21:13, Branston Pickle said:

Didn’t work out with us, take the money and run.  

Yes, I just can't see him coming back here and being a success when it seems pretty clear he doesn't want to be here any more.

If we can recoup most of what we paid then that will have to do.

4 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Tzolis was a gamble which didn't pay off and you have to mark that as a negative against the club

I'd say he was mis-managed more than a gamble, but agree that it's a negative mark.

The fact that we're celebrating a player leaving that other clubs want for more than we sold the likes of Aarons, Cantwell or Rashica, should instead be sending out alarm bells.

After Omobamidele, He will be our second biggest valued player to leave since Buendia.   I can't celebrate that when the decision was to field Placheta, Springett, Onel and Fassnacht ahead of him - They've got the combined value of a mars bar.

There's one reason that lad is out on loan and that's because of the brand of football we play, Smith's desire to bring a Villa player in, and us desperately trying to claw money back due to the million pounds losses of assets that either walked or slipped out the door on the cheap.

Sorry but I don't find this in anyway positive or progressive, but I support the team and improving the overall quality of player, not a balance sheet.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

If we get £8m for Tzolis it will be the best transfer deal this club has ever been involved in; even better than £15m for Lewis. It's also as unlikely as us finishing in the top two.

On 11/02/2024 at 20:00, canarydan23 said:

Very strange what's happened with him. I can only imagine the deal that bought him here had a relatively low up front cost but a lot of extras based on appearances? Seems he's highly rated by lots of people, just no one in Norwich.

No, he signed a 5-year deal when we got him.

He was highly rated by us. We made lots of noise about how he's one of the best youth prospects outside of UK.

But then Farke didn't want to play him.

Neither did Smith. 

And now, neither does Wagner. 

Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say we got it wrong