cambridgeshire canary

Tzolis to be sold for 8 million?

If it’s 8.5 million use this to sign Varane in the summer?

40 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

If we get £8m for Tzolis it will be the best transfer deal this club has ever been involved in; even better than £15m for Lewis. It's also as unlikely as us finishing in the top two.

£11 million for Josh Murphy must be a contemder.

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I'd say he was mis-managed more than a gamble, but agree that it's a negative mark.

The fact that we're celebrating a player leaving that other clubs want for more than we sold the likes of Aarons, Cantwell or Rashica, should instead be sending out alarm bells 

Sorry but I don't find this in anyway positive or progressive, but I support the team and improving the overall quality of player, not a balance sheet.

Re your last point we should have been doing both.

7 minutes ago, essex canary said:

£11 million for Josh Murphy must be a contemder.

Getting seven figures for Marley Watkins was incredible.

Tzolis strikes me as a player who needs a less physically intense league. There's definitely a player in there, but he couldn't consistently get going here and if we were to get a bid of this size for him, I'd rip their hands off.

In Tzolis I see a technically good footballer but not a natural athlete. In this day and age you need to be both, or if anything being fit and athletic masks not being skillful.

It is what it is. 

Quick - grab the money -then pay off some of the debt and little will be re-invested for additional players- thats the mantra for city

11 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Quick - grab the money -then pay off some of the debt and little will be re-invested for additional players- thats the mantra for city

You’d prefer to **** a load of cash on players and then go bust?

41 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

In Tzolis I see a technically good footballer but not a natural athlete. In this day and age you need to be both, or if anything being fit and athletic masks not being skillful.

It is what it is. 

I agree with the general thrust of this, and I suspect he may be difficult to manage as well. I've never really been able to decide if he's lacking in confidence, or overestimates his own ability, or a weird mix of arrogance and neediness. He is very gifted technically, though, and was discarded when much less gifted players were given the nod ahead of him. Being ranked behind Springett must have been galling.

He certainly hasn't been helped by having a manager, Smith, who made no effort with him, probably because he wanted to make sure nothing spoiled his plan to get his Villa boy on board. Then along came Wagner, and it's hard to imagine a manager whose style is less suited to the kind of player that Tzolis is.

I think he'll have a good career in continental Europe. He needs to recognise that defensive duties are demanded of almost every player nowadays, though.

43 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

You’d prefer to **** a load of cash on players and then go bust?

Seasons of mediocre football if money not spent -yes I do understand its got to be spent wisely- but surely spend a little more and try and get some quality just to reinforce some of the quality we got now. if wee are serious in trying to get back to the prem

Looks like Fortuna know he's got value associated and looking to buy based on the agreed buy option in place, and then sell him on:

ijy5vlxdfkic1.jpeg?width=640&crop=smart&

23 hours ago, baldy09 said:

Seasons of mediocre football if money not spent -yes I do understand its got to be spent wisely- but surely spend a little more and try and get some quality just to reinforce some of the quality we got now. if wee are serious in trying to get back to the prem

We spent on Rashica and Tzolis - and spent far call on Sainz and Rowe. The PL is littered with expensive failures. We no longer have that money.

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Looks like Fortuna know he's got value associated and looking to buy based on the agreed buy option in place, and then sell him on:

ijy5vlxdfkic1.jpeg?width=640&crop=smart&

Rather contradicts what they previously stat

5 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Rather contradicts what they previously stat

It's a really odd statement to say you're buying a player to sell out at higher value, too.   So it's gotta be pure conjecture.

If the agreement is a 6m deal with refusal their side, and since he's been playing Wolfsburg are now interested at 8-9m they are going to claim that added value for themselves?   Or at least, if that report is to be believed.

I guess if this was true, legally there's not much that can be done if we've pre-agreed 6m.  But I can't believe they'd be so transparent.... But then it is several million and they'd feel they deserve credit for building Tzolis back up.

Edited by Google Bot

It sounds more like what we get on here regularly. Some idiot has heard what someone thinks Tzolis is now worth and states (with certainty) that his club can buy him, then flog him straight away at a profit.

As you say, I doubt any club would make such a statement, given how it would be seen in the wider football world, and by Tzolis himself.

I guess this works for the player too as he gets to play in the Bundesliga. Fortuna can't think that highly of him if they are willing to trade on him after only 1 season for the sake of 2-3m.

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Fortuna can't think that highly of him if they are willing to trade on him after only 1 season for the sake of 2-3m.

I think the report is suggesting they will trigger the buy option regardless of promotion, because of the availability of clubs that would pay several more million than the agreement they have in place.

It does make sense in that context for them to secure a player who has clear quality and will attract bids.  I really like him and had hoped that Knapper would seek to bring him back if they failed to gain promotion.  So a little bit gutted really, hopefully this is just complete waffle.

Edited by Google Bot

16 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I think the report is suggesting they will trigger the buy option regardless of promotion

The buy option is conditional on them getting promoted. No promotion, no buy. Irrespective of what they may want to do.

1 minute ago, RobJames said:

The buy option is conditional on them getting promoted. No promotion, no buy. Irrespective of what they may want to do.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/24119486.fortuna-dusseldorf-hatch-christos-tzolis-plan---reports/

It wouldn't surprise me if they are sitting on a pre-agreement that they could trigger voluntary, and only becomes mandatory if they gained promotion.   Connor also saying the agreement is €5m, not 6.

We shall find out the truth in a couple of months i guess, will be a shame as I really liked the lad and had hoped he'd be back here.

34 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/24119486.fortuna-dusseldorf-hatch-christos-tzolis-plan---reports/

It wouldn't surprise me if they are sitting on a pre-agreement that they could trigger voluntary, and only becomes mandatory if they gained promotion.   Connor also saying the agreement is €5m, not 6.

We shall find out the truth in a couple of months i guess, will be a shame as I really liked the lad and had hoped he'd be back here.

The clue is the word option. Not requirement. And I cannot see any reason for there to be a pre-agreement. You agree and sign a contract. That contract may be referred to as an agreement, however there's nothing pre about it.

He's bagged another brace today. Promotion looking increasingly unlikely, though.

On 11/02/2024 at 21:45, Commonsense said:

Absolutely £8.5 million is a decent sum for a player that for one reason or another didn’t fit.

Added to this is that we will have gotten loan fees for his loans so £8.5m would probably not be that far off what we paid with those thrown in.

A real shame it didn't work out and ultimately too big of a gamble, financially, for us to take.