33 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Won’t matter.

We’ll see ccc, we’ll see 

Just went to the clubs site to read about SVH, and saw Adam Idah is our featured player on the main page, with a link to buy his shirt.  :classic_unsure:

Speaks well in the video on FB, says he "hopes this will be his new long term home" obviously hoping that optional future fee will get activated 

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Can anyone tell me how to pronounce Hooijdonk?

Pretty sure when his father was playing, most went with ‘Hoydonk’, but I dare say that’s only an approximation 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Hope Syd does well. Will keep Sarge on his toes as we have an option to buy as well 👍

Think Syd will be more a 10 - displacing Barnes (who frankly doesn’t have the legs nowadays for 90). I can see him linking well with Sarge. Hopeful about this 

Sarge, Donk & Barnes,

Barnes, Donk & Sarge, 

Donk, Sarge & Barnes,

Sarge, Barnes & Donk,

Donk, Barnes & Sarge,

or Barnes, Sarge & Donk ?    

Our front three, but could just as easily be lines from a Dr Seuss riddle, or the title of an animated Police Academy spin-off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Pretty sure when his father was playing, most went with ‘Hoydonk’, but I dare say that’s only an approximation 

Canary Call should get a few interesting interpretations. Hoo gee donk will be my favourite. 

Sky describing Idah as a forwars rather than a striker.  Guess thats a fair description.

Must admit the PR team doing a good job with the promotion of him.

Some nice little interviews and seems like a decent chap. Pleasing that his one word description of himself is social as hoping that means he will settle quickly.

Bit worried I’m getting excited about a player who I haven’t even seen play (hopefully he’s the new Pukki rather than RVW!)

Got to say I've got a good feeling about this lad.......so watch him flop now 🤣

• Haha 1

I hope both Idah & VH hit great form, Idah is a player I still hope can fulfil his potential and if he does this second half at Celtic we will benefit financially. As for VH looks exactly the type of player needed, now we can finally leave Barnes in the bench and hopefully look more threatening up top.

Keeping Rowe & Sara means we still have a shot at top six but that defence worries me, they’ve been better but watching recent games we’re still allowing chances luckily teams haven’t been taking them. Would have liked a CB on loan.

• Like 2

Watched the video. He speaks well and genuinely sounds pleased to be with us. Looks a confident sort just in himself, something that feels important for me. And occasionally something just clicks for a striker and a club. Josh took a while to get going and Barnes has struggled. It's about time someone came in and claimed the shirt and maybe this fella will do just that. Second half sub? Scores a goal on his debut?

Come on Syd!

I think he has a lot of potential but do have some worries about how he will adapt to the current system despite being a big lad he certainly doesn't seem comfortable dropping deep and linking play at previous clubs. Much better as a penalty box finisher so I think people will be disappointed if they think he will replace Barnes in that role. Certainly has a decent looking touch and good striker of the ball so maybe that is something to be coached into him? 

1 hour ago, Bristol Canary said:

I think he has a lot of potential but do have some worries about how he will adapt to the current system despite being a big lad he certainly doesn't seem comfortable dropping deep and linking play at previous clubs. Much better as a penalty box finisher so I think people will be disappointed if they think he will replace Barnes in that role. Certainly has a decent looking touch and good striker of the ball so maybe that is something to be coached into him? 

Well if he does well and Sargent is fit Barnes must be third choice! To keep playing an ineffective striker at ten doesn’t help. We look so much more fluid once Barnes goes off and Sara pushes forwards! IMO

Edited by Indy
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, rock bus said:

Must admit the PR team doing a good job with the promotion of him.

Some nice little interviews and seems like a decent chap. Pleasing that his one word description of himself is social as hoping that means he will settle quickly.

Bit worried I’m getting excited about a player who I haven’t even seen play (hopefully he’s the new Pukki rather than RVW!)

I'm scared by this - it re-visits RvW's arrival - "Beware of the wolf" anyone!

It also is one of my pet hates, the media team go overboard on the one subject, but the wider "audience development" team fails to deliver on the basics most weeks. I do appreciate though that with only one incoming they didn't need to spread themselves too thin this window.

Finally, can see Sarge having to play the current Barnes role to accommodate SvH in his preferred position. Hmm, is that likely to **** off Sarge?

Interesting appraisal of him on canaries.co.uk by sports journo Andy Brassell. Says he's a different sort of player to his dad, only interested in scoring & doesn't go looking for the ball - fox in the box type player. Says he's got excellent anticipation & movement & strength to go with it.

Sounds like he'll need Sarge to do the hard work, pressing & covering the ground, which may not be helpful; hopefully he can adapt his game a bit & learn how to link up play & do a bit of pressing himself. He sounds like a classy player though, & the type who's willing to learn. 

We'll find out soon enough.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Interesting appraisal of him on canaries.co.uk by sports journo Andy Brassell. Says he's a different sort of player to his dad, only interested in scoring & doesn't go looking for the ball - fox in the box type player. Says he's got excellent anticipation & movement & strength to go with it.

Sounds like he'll need Sarge to do the hard work, pressing & covering the ground, which may not be helpful; hopefully he can adapt his game a bit & learn how to link up play & do a bit of pressing himself. He sounds like a classy player though, & the type who's willing to learn. 

We'll find out soon enough.

Thanks for the reference to the Brassell article https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/expert-view-sydney-van-hooijdonk .  Sounds very promising but also I wonder how long Wagner will delay his introduction if he can't  do all the link-up play he demands of his strikers.

On 02/02/2024 at 09:28, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Takes Penalties and free kicks. 

Good basic weapons. 

Parma 

Bit of technical detail for those who are interested.

The technique that Van Hooijdonk uses for feee kicks is different to Sara and Nunez.

They are both good strikers of the ball, though you might (oddly) hear sometimes that a free kick is ‘too close’.

When you strike a ball with power, drive and late dip, an optimum distance might be around 25 yards out plus. This suits Sara and Nunez well.

Van Hooijdonk has a nice flippy-clippy-whippy technique (thank you, I know) that is very well suited to those free kicks right on the edge of the box which require a different strike pattern and flight shape. 

I can think of very few players at all who could do both (though some try the wrong technique repeatedly from the ‘other’ spot)

Very useful to us to have both on the pitch. A nice skill to have. 

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
If anyone would genuinely like to know what the difference in technique is (and how to do it) pm me.
  • Like 2