3 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Bit of technical detail for those who are interested.

The technique that Van Hooijdonk uses for feee kicks is different to Sara and Nunez.

They are both good strikers of the ball, though you might (oddly) hear sometimes that a free kick is ‘too close’.

When you strike a ball with power, drive and late dip, an optimum distance might be around 25 yards out plus. This suits Sara and Nunez well.

Van Hooijdonk has a nice flippy-clippy-whippy technique (thank you, I know) that is very well suited to those free kicks right on the edge of the box which require a different strike pattern and flight shape. 

I can think of very few players at all who could do both (though some try the wrong technique repeatedly from the ‘other’ spot)

Very useful to us to have both on the pitch. A nice skill to have. 

Parma 

Could argue Sara can do both, when he clipped the bar from the edge of the box today.

4 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Bit of technical detail for those who are interested.

The technique that Van Hooijdonk uses for feee kicks is different to Sara and Nunez.

They are both good strikers of the ball, though you might (oddly) hear sometimes that a free kick is ‘too close’.

When you strike a ball with power, drive and late dip, an optimum distance might be around 25 yards out plus. This suits Sara and Nunez well.

Van Hooijdonk has a nice flippy-clippy-whippy technique (thank you, I know) that is very well suited to those free kicks right on the edge of the box which require a different strike pattern and flight shape. 

I can think of very few players at all who could do both (though some try the wrong technique repeatedly from the ‘other’ spot)

Very useful to us to have both on the pitch. A nice skill to have. 

Parma 

Mario Vrancic had an answer for that. He moved the ball backwards when the ref wasn't looking. Watch the whole clip of his free kick against Sheffield Wednesday. 🙂 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Mario Vrancic had an answer for that. He moved the ball backwards when the ref wasn't looking. Watch the whole clip of his free kick against Sheffield Wednesday. 🙂 

No need to YouTube that. I can see it in my mind 👌

Parma 

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Could argue Sara can do both, when he clipped the bar from the edge of the box today.

Personally I don't think that Sara takes a very good free kick as he tends to 'float' the ball rather than hit it with any pace. When we have free kick I never feel that anything will result from it, unlike when Vrancic was playing for us. Oh for someone like him now.