The Raptor

Footballers doing mundane/normal things

Cameron Jerome ambled out into flowing traffic in front of me staring at his mobile phone forcing me to emergency brake. Standard level of awareness from the lad and no apology, the wally.

As a kid saw Arsenal's Anders Limpar at a petrol station near Bury St. Edmunds. How's that for one from the left-field!

4 hours ago, Kathy said:

I saw Robert Snodgrass trying to force an empty paint tin into the clothing bank at Sainsburys Longwater. I pointed out to him that the clothing bank was just for clothing and he had to take empty paint tins to the council waste depot. He seemed surprised 🙄

It was his gloss....and your gain....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Rogan Goss

Butterworth Chicken

Chicken tikka Holti. 

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Chicken tikka Holti. 

Lamb passlack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Many moons ago, sat in a pub on Unthank Road, who should walk in but Mulryne, Llewelwyn and McGovern (Brian, not Michael, just to clarify).

As someone said, back in those days you would have got very long odds on Mulryne becoming a Priest!

My experiences include, the 'Doc getting a paper at Thickthorn services, Gary Holt shopping in Acle Budgens.

My Wife's late father had a long chat with Matt Jackson once before asking what he did for a living!!

Also, Flecky (post Norwich playing but managing Gorleston days) getting pissed in Yates' and Bellers, on crutches, abusing me at a cash point for apparently trying to look at his PIN and steal his money - I feel neither of these last two are excusives though 

Edited by Muffles
  • Like 1

Once dropped my dog off at the local kennels at the same time as Bryan Gunn was dropping his.

Edit: Feel free to come up with the funny replies.

Edited by Addick/Canary

2 hours ago, Kathy said:

Lamb passlack.

Keema Abbey

Paul Dahl-glish

Rogan Josh Sargent

These curry puns are becoming too hot to handle!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, TheRock said:

Keema Abbey

Paul Dahl-glish

Rogan Josh Sargent

These curry puns are becoming too hot to handle!

Rowe-Gunn Josh Sargent, currently the most capable curry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Used to see John Ruddy driving past when I was walking the dogs.

Great number plate: JR11DDY.   His wife has LR11DDY.

Seen also Efan Etohu' E7OHU, Bryan Gunn L7GUN and Michael Foulger N1CFC

31 minutes ago, Addick/Canary said:

Reminded me of this genius who I saw in Southampton recently. 

20231124_111812.jpg

50 minutes ago, Addick/Canary said:

The 11 plates are great when you've got a U as the second letter of your surname.

The Murphy boys can into the Hollywood Bowl once and played pool together. One of my ex-colleagues pretty much soiled herself watching them.

I've played cards with Jamie Cureton and Shaun Carey in The Murderers a few times.

Keith O'Neill once tried to master writing a cheque out in front of me in the bank I worked in. He needed his chaperone to help...with pretty much all of it except his name. Even that was touch and go.

I was at a mutual friend's wedding reception with Ross Jack in the 90s. He was still dressed for the 80s though.

Billy Steele threw me and some friends out of the Ironmongers Arms once - something about being too underage at 14 to enjoy a pint of Skol. In hindsight it was an act of mercy.

Paul Crichton used to pick his kids up from the same Middle School as my kids went to.

I saw Alex Neil and his missus out shopping in Chapelfield. He looked INCREDIBLY pi55ed off.

Iwan Roberts got out of his car in front of me on Leopold Road while I was sitting outside The Beehive once, with an unidentified takeaway in his hand.

Can I have a random darts player me and my mate saw in services on the way back from Villa Park once too?

Leighton Rees was busy tucking into two portions of fish and chips. We sat on the next table, behind a partition of shrubs, and made sure we had a conversation that included as many darts related puns as possible including many Tony Green-type inflections as possible. He scowled at us on the way out and said "Very funny lads, very funny".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Iwan Roberts got out of his car in front of me on Leopold Road while I was sitting outside The Beehive once, with an unidentified takeaway in his hand

He lives on one of the streets off Leopold Road.

With the long career he had at some pretty big clubs I'd have expected him to have ended up in a more expensive house really, although could possibly have a second one in Wales for his Welsh language work.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

48 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Reminded me of this genius who I saw in Southampton recently. 

20231124_111812.jpg

There wasn't an episode of Bargain Hunt being filmed nearby was there?

9 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

The idea of John Barnes at Centre Parcs is just bizarre. Like Zeus turning up at your local supermarket.

He was a really top bloke, very friendly.

1 hour ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Keith O'Neill once tried to master writing a cheque out in front of me in the bank I worked in. He needed his chaperone to help...with pretty much all of it except his name. Even that was touch and go.

Brilliant! 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The players since several years are regulars at my wife's restaurant. Sometimes with their partners, sometimes they come in groups. Cameron Jerome was the best. He bought enough takeaway food to feed a small army. The wife isn't interested in football so doesn't get excited when they come in.

I once popped into a hairdressers in Wymondham for a quick haircut and Darren Huckerby was in the chair getting the most ridiculous mullet cut you could imagine. When he finished, the barber gestured me to take the chair and asked how I wanted my hair cut. I pointed at Huckerby and said 'I don't care how you cut it, just don't cut it like that!'

11 hours ago, Kathy said:

I saw Robert Snodgrass trying to force an empty paint tin into the clothing bank at Sainsburys Longwater. I pointed out to him that the clothing bank was just for clothing and he had to take empty paint tins to the council waste depot. He seemed surprised 🙄

God help us if Lakey sees this.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

The players since several years are regulars at my wife's restaurant. Sometimes with their partners, sometimes they come in groups. Cameron Jerome was the best. He bought enough takeaway food to feed a small army. The wife isn't interested in football so doesn't get excited when they come in.

I once popped into a hairdressers in Wymondham for a quick haircut and Darren Huckerby was in the chair getting the most ridiculous mullet cut you could imagine. When he finished, the barber gestured me to take the chair and asked how I wanted my hair cut. I pointed at Huckerby and said 'I don't care how you cut it, just don't cut it like that!'

That reminds me of when I was in a hairdressers and El Hadj Diouf tried playing matchmaker between me and the young woman behind the counter! Struck me as a fairly funny guy from that very brief exchange.

Remember delivering Betterware products to Mike Whitlow in my teens. He was pretty chill as well.

I raced against John Barnes in the fathers race at our kids nursery. I lost.

Bryan Gunn asked me the time at a hotel in Watford, and I sat opposite Chris Martin at a table by the burger restaurant at Winter Wonderland a few years back. Think he was playing at Fulham at the time. He was with his girlfriend/wife(?) and a child who he spent a while shouting at as he chugged two or three pints. Elite athletes eh?

I also shared lunch with Gary Lineker at a golf day and played with Peter Shilton. I lost (there's a theme here....)

Sat next to Alan Ball at a sports dinner when he was Portsmouth manager. Great bloke, very friendly.

Saw Alan Hansen, Kenny Dalglish and Gary McAllister at the Ryder Cup at the Belfry. We won.

Derrick Lythgoe was my Best Man at first wedding

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

He was a really top bloke, very friendly.

Well that I can believe. Did you make him do the World in Motion rap?

I've seen Bruce Groebalaar (spelling?) Pushing luggage around Heathrow, and Earnshaw at a service station. Thats about it though.

Burnley away a few years ago (when we got beat 2-0 in glorious sunshine), the motorway had a concrete divider splitting one lane off. Went down it and got stuck behind an accident and nobody could move. Other 2 lanes were free flowing. Everybody out their cars, mostly man city fans travelling to the etihad. Me and my mate in our Norwich shirts, and then from the moving lanes, there's a horn beep from a 4 x 4 and it's Big Grant Holt leaning out the window and shouts "Up the yellows" as he drives past. He was doing some media up north that day.

My mate was on a stag do and saw John Barnes in the airport. The groom was in a pvc nun's outfit and there's a cracking picture of him and Barnesy 😂 (id share but I don't have it).

Non footballing, Roy from Eastenders at a hydro-electric dam in North Wales, circa 1996/1997 😂

Edited by kick it off

I have met a few Ewan Roberts shopping with his partner Bryan Gunn on several occasions and golf courses but my favourite random meet was Stuart webber at dereham recycling centre. It was when his stock was a lot higher but so many lines and so little time 

in the end I just smiled and nodded and said getting shot of some of the trash and he did at least laugh 

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Well that I can believe. Did you make him do the World in Motion rap?

One of my friends was a guest at a wedding on The Wirral a couple of years ago, John Barnes was also a guest. The DJ played World in Motion, Barnes took the mic and did indeed do the rap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cody McDonald in a matching tracksuit clothes shopping as I was cutting through primark. 

Tim Krul having dinner, whilst I having dinner with my wife at Park Farm the year he signed. Got some photos, think he was having dinner with… Pritchard maybe?

Pritchard having dinner in pizza express.

Adam Drury demolishing a whole KFC bucket to himself in Castle Mall, I believe the day before the 7-1.

Hoolahan in Ladbrokes near the castle mall entrance. 

Stuart Webber filling up on the way home from Brighton away. 

Grant Holt at my local Tesco, always nodded, never had the courage to say hi to him for some reason. 

Raschica just outside his house as it’s just by ours. 

Cedric Anselin in the pub fairly regularly , although he doesn’t drink. 

Hucks watched one of our training sessions in the city once, only noticed it was him after about 15 minutes, he must’ve been bored as anything. 

Bob Wilson used to spend a couple of weeks every summer at his Mum's house in Brancaster. A group of us once plucked up enough courage to knock on the door to ask for his autograph ("....you knock", "no, YOU knock", "I can't, you do ittttttt" etc), his Mum answered and we somehow managed to ask for Bob, "....please Mre Wilson, is Bob there?" but, sadly, he wasn't at home....well, that's what she said, anyway.

Paul Kent once called out to me as he sat in his car at Brancaster Staithe harbour (we'd met a couple of times previously) but I couldn't recall who he was and had to ask to be reminded.

Bet Pele never had that problem.

I interviewed Johnny Ertl (ex Pompey) on Chichester Hospital Radio, he insisted on my signing up for the Portsmouth Supporters Trust.

Mark Shail, who later went onto play for Bristol City was in the same year at my Uni as me. Infinitely better footballer, though he did once ask me to bang over a load of corners on the college pitch so he could practice his defensive headers. 

Edited by Old Shuck

10 hours ago, Felix said:

I have met a few Ewan Roberts shopping with his partner Bryan Gunn on several occasions and golf courses but my favourite random meet was Stuart webber at dereham recycling centre. It was when his stock was a lot higher but so many lines and so little time 

in the end I just smiled and nodded and said getting shot of some of the trash and he did at least laugh 

Roberts and Gunn are now partners? Missed that one but good luck to them anyway. 

• Thanks 1

I used to be close friends with Clive Baker who made a few appearances as goalkeeper for City. We attended the same primary school, both went to Paston Grammer and at 13 years old both worked for the same dairy as Saturday milk boys.  Clive only worked a short time as by the age of 14 he was playing for Sheringham Town against grown men 

After a few appearances for Norwich Clive had a successful career at Barnsley

• Like 1