Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*official Lappinitup match thread Canaries V Foxes*

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think he was ahead, should be offside.  I don’t like the line drawing but it would get the correct result. 

That depends where they draw the line and frankly I don’t trust them to do that fairly.    It was too fine a line to criticise the linesman, he has to see it in the split second and it just didn’t go our way.   Dewsbury Hall could have shot instead and most likely scored.   

We lost it with poor tactics and performances in the first half.    Positive that we improved considerably second half and that second goal doesn’t get conceded if we are drawing or winning.   

• Like 1

I would echo the comment above about it being a mistake not to sign a less risky replacement for Sargent. Hwang at least did look a bit better tonight but we knew we were selling Andy O and in my view should have spent a bit more on cover for Sargent. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

No, not even bothered what Farke does now. More interested in why a player of ours tries to score from a difficult position when there is a player less than five yards away who has a clear shot, and then goes up the other end of the field and needlessly pushes a Leicester player in our box.

Leicester were very good, but that one performance - call it scapegoating if you like - but that one perfomance was a big reason why we lost tonight. If Farke was still our manager, he would have pulled Fassnacht off at half time and put him in the U21's as a punishment.  Maybe Fassnacht has a lot to learn and will do better next time, but if I was manager I would be furious with him after those two serious errors of judgement.

I certainly wouldn't crucify Fassnacht - I'm sure he'll still play an important role in our challenge this season. Don't turn him into your new Snodgrass. 

14 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Have you watched the game ? Gibson has made in the second half some outstanding interceptions.

Maybe you can explain why that was Gibsons fault ? Suspect maybe that would give away your complete lack of football knowledge.

Gibson makes some good interceptions, but generally when we concede and/or give away chances there is usually a Gibson pass or error in the phases leading up to it! 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I certainly wouldn't crucify Fassnacht - I'm sure he'll still play an important role in our challenge this season. Don't turn him into your new Snodgrass. 

I will if he shows that naive selfishness again.

I was quite heartened by that. Leicester have a very smooth midfield and overall have a better squad, which is hardly a surprise. That said, we restricted them to a penalty for a stupid, stupid foul, and a late goal on a breakaway that with a sane offside law would have been ruled out.

We pushed them pretty hard in the second half, and getting to 1-1 would not have flattered us, even if it was a bit up and at ‘em. And it showed, despite what quite a few posters seem to think, that we have a very decent squad that should keep us in the top six. Only the likes of Leicester can have really good cover in all positions, but we are not far short of that. 

But we are missing Sargent, and at the moment don’t appear to have a solution.

• Like 8

Just now, lake district canary said:

I will if he shows that naive selfishness again.

About that I have no doubt... 

Come on guys. City were poor all over the park, and were outplayed by a much better side who know how to score goals. City don’t unfortunately!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Leicester in terms of their first team and bench are miles better than anyone in this league. Players we have can't retain the ball to the same level. It may of been a different result if Duffy's header went in, then people may of changed their tune. Hwang looked good when he came on but I thought he faded swiftly. I still feel we need another really good central midfielder who can run a game. Im surprised we haven't really gone for a top loan in the centre of the park. 

Leicester very good tonight, too good not to be promoted barring mass injuries.   Which leaves one automatic spot and I expect Daniel to sort that one out quite comfortably.   

Play-offs will be a lottery.    

This is why I'm really not bothered about City getting promoted. Leicester are a Prem team who'll go on to win the league, tonights defeat  had an air of inevitability about it. 

Edited by MORDENCANARY

Leicester had 7 proven Premier League players on the bench.

With the subs we made it was either going to be a 1-1 or 0-2. Unfortunately it was the latter but Duffy very much could have scored and McLean was unlucky hitting the bar.

Leicester are a very good side who will likely win the league at a canter. We were a little unfortunate not to come away with a draw.

• Like 3

Leicester by far the better team and didn't really have to get out of 2nd gear.

We lost the game 1st half after a woeful display from Rowe, Gibbs, Fassnacht and Barnes. Much better 2nd half but Hwang and Onel were pretty shocking.

Chastening times indeed, but Wagner way too negative.

• Like 1

Were Leicester really that good tonight?

There was nothing in the first half and they didnt look like scoring in open play

The second half...once we took the pedestrian Gibbs off (who should be out on loan to a League One club) we were all over them and should have equalized somewhere along the line, they offered little going forward until we over committed and they caught us on the break.

Their bench obviously had the potential to swing it their way...but Gunn wont have many quieter games all season

A draw would have been a fair result.

If theyre the best in this league, it gives everyone else a chance

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CardiffCanary said:

I don’t think Sara hit his heights today 

Sara, Rowe and Fassnacht all had arguably their worst games of the season. Combine that with Sargent missing and you are going to be up against it. Given that we did well to be in the game til the end and arguably deserved a point.

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

There was nothing in the first half and they didnt look like scoring in open play

The second half...once we took the pedestrian Gibbs off (who should be out on loan to a League One club) we were all over them and should have equalized somewhere along the line, they offered little going forward until we over committed and they caught us on the break.

Their bench obviously had the potential to swing it their way...but Gunn wont have many quieter games all season

I agree they weren’t that great. The pre Rotherham version of Norwich gets a draw at worst from that game, probably wins it 

• Like 1

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The only shots Leicester had on target were their goals. They did enough but didn't break sweat.

If you go into a game with no one up front then you aren't going to get much. Has Barnes shot his bolt already? What on earth did anyone see in Hwang?

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Sara, Rowe and Fassnacht all had arguably their worst games of the season. Combine that with Sargent missing and you are going to be up against it. Given that we did well to be in the game til the end and arguably deserved a point.

I think Sargent's injury has coincided with the performances of Barnes and the midfield's performances dropping off a cliff and it's no surprise. We're so much easier to play against with a striker not out there pushing the back line.

Would assume that will be Hwang's role once he's fully integrated and up to speed.

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I don’t think they were that good, no. But a few of our players either having the game passing them by due to poor performance or just not being good enough, gave them two easy goals. At the other end of the pitch we huffed and puffed but didn’t look at all threatening up top. McClean was very unlucky. And our best chance fell to a defender. But bar that we didn’t look like scoring. And Sara was far too deep. I don’t know why Wagner can’t see that. I really question some of his decision making. 

9 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Sara is playing with handcuffs on by playing as deep as he is...we need to release the shackles and let him operate further up the field where he can be a goal threat.

Last week Wagner said he wouldnt swap a midfield of Sara/McLean/Forshaw with anyone elses in the league....well we now need to play it

For Plymouth lets go with..

Forshaw   McLean

Fassnacht    Sara    Rowe (Sainz if fit??)

Hwang

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

Thought the first half was very even until we lost after possession for the pen.   Very much a chess game with neither team wanting to lose, neither side making the other keeper work and both side playing a similar game. The first goal proved crucial and had the header (duffy? Ui-jo?) or kennys shot gone in we would have gone home happy.  They added as gaps appeared which is how they work best, punishing on the break as gaps appear.

Leicester will be there or there about. Not many sides will present a similar challenge  so if we can bounce back, so will we.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The only shots Leicester had on target were their goals. They did enough but didn't break sweat.

If you go into a game with no one up front then you aren't going to get much. Has Barnes shot his bolt already? What on earth did anyone see in Hwang?

Or Barnes 

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Sara is playing with handcuffs on by playimg as deep as he is...we need to release the shackles and let him operate further up the field where he can be a goal threat.

Last week Wagner said he wouldnt swap a midfield of Sara/McLean/Forshaw with anyone elses in the league....well we now need to play it

For Plymouth lets go with..

Forshaw   McLean

Fassnacht    Sara      Rowe

Hwang

Hwang had no movement, doesn’t close down and looks like he’s struggling to adjust, there’s a reason he’s not played for Forest! I’m not convinced and today Idah worked and ran the channels more so I’d start Idah.

Goals is an area we could we’ll struggle with, maybe Fassnacht up top as an option.

23 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I was quite heartened by that. Leicester have a very smooth midfield and overall have a better squad, which is hardly a surprise. That said, we restricted them to a penalty for a stupid, stupid foul, and a late goal on a breakaway that with a sane offside law would have been ruled out.

We pushed them pretty hard in the second half, and getting to 1-1 would not have flattered us, even if it was a bit up and at ‘em. And it showed, despite what quite a few posters seem to think, that we have a very decent squad that should keep us in the top six. Only the likes of Leicester can have really good cover in all positions, but we are not far short of that. 

But we are missing Sargent, and at the moment don’t appear to have a solution.

👍 Agree Purple. 2 -0  flatters leicester 

If leicester are the benchmark , then I would say we have nothing to worry about. I saw the game live on ESPN 4 in 🇧🇷.  So I was quite heartened as you say. Yes a few had off days. This happens its called realistic football. Some Comments about the performance  are ott.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes the three players mentioned were very poor. Stupid penalty to concede and Rowe just seemed unable to get in to the game. Did not think Leicester were that great but somehow our style of play is very slow and negative. Lack of gaining possession in midfield and we seemed unable to find anyone in space and resorted to retaining possession by passing back which was getting us nowhere. Apart from Kenny's effort we never looked like scoring.

Just now, Indy said:

Hwang had no movement, doesn’t close down and looks like he’s struggling to adjust, there’s a reason he’s not played for Forest! I’m not convinced and today Idah worked and ran the channels more so I’d start Idah.

Goals is an area we could we’ll struggle with, maybe Fassnacht up top as an option.

Hwang was signed because he could apparantly replicate the workrate of Sargent...if he's no better than Idah and not ready to play, what the hell have we signed him for?

We've got to start him and see what we've got

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Leicester had 7 proven Premier League players on the bench.

With the subs we made it was either going to be a 1-1 or 0-2. Unfortunately it was the latter but Duffy very much could have scored and McLean was unlucky hitting the bar.

Leicester are a very good side who will likely win the league at a canter. We were a little unfortunate not to come away with a draw.

I would say more than a little . WE deserved  a draw   one of those days. If leicester  are the benchmark , we have no worries in my opinion. Its football , some you win ,some you loose. 

• Like 6