Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

55 years !

53 for me, the year before Promotion.... though by that time my family had moved me to London, that was when I realised there could only ever be 1 Team for me.

My brother became a Hammer..... but deep down he's jealous of my loyalty, call me old fashioned (guilty) but I still think you should support the Team where you're from.

Anyone can jump on board the Man City train and claim glory every Season but it's boring after a while, especially if you have nothing that identifies you with them.

......we haven't won a great deal across our history but when we do, it's special, really special.....

• Like 1

2nd October 1954. Norwich City 1 QPR 1.

Looking forward to 70th anniversary next October.

I thought for years it was against Brighton but did some research and found out it was our most played opponents QPRm

Frustratingly I'm not certain when I first went as my Dad took me when I was very young, but think it was around 1967-8. I saw Hugh Curran play several times and he left in 1969, and I remember being very upset when we sold him - I couldn't understand why as he was one of our best players - I remember dad trying to explain to me. A brutal introduction into being a City fan!

BTW, I made sure that my daughter will always know her first game - photos before + programme etc.😁

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Wasn't allowed to go until I was Nine which was 1960 so until then had to sit in front of the radio  and check dad's pools.

yes remember those Pools sessions next to the radio, very well

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Frustratingly I'm not certain when I first went as my Dad took me when I was very young, but think it was around 1967-8. I saw Hugh Curran play several times and he left in 1969, and I remember being very upset when we sold him - I couldn't understand why as he was one of our best players - I remember dad trying to explain to me. A brutal introduction into being a City fan!

BTW, I made sure that my daughter will always know her first game - photos before + programme etc.😁

I had exactly the same conversation with my father! 

• Like 1

Apart from that special night at Orient, this was my finest away game. I can't remember getting there or back but I just remember expecting a hammering as Laurie Sheffield was out injured. And thanks to United's arrogance we did the impossible. My grandson was magnificent in goal that day, maybe his greatest game ever but even he couldn't stop that special Denis Law goal.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Apart from that special night at Orient, this was my finest away game. I can't remember getting there or back but I just remember expecting a hammering as Laurie Sheffield was out injured. And thanks to United's arrogance we did the impossible. My grandson was magnificent in goal that day, maybe his greatest game ever but even he couldn't stop that special Denis Law goal.

Thanks for sharing, I've never seen that before. Wonderful stuff! 

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

Chelsea at home in a cup game which was abandoned due to fog rolling in off the river. I’m sure it wasn’t the first though. Crystal Palace relegation scrap when I was allowed in the “grown ups” South Stand comes to mind too.

Edit: the allowed fog of time perhaps. Just looked it up - Dec 20 1972. League Cup semi, we were winning 3-2 at 75 min when game was abandoned. We obviously won the rematch but I didn’t see it or the Wembley final - read about them in the paper Pink’un

Ah the memory of that game still seems fresh in my mind probably because so much hung on the result and we thought a trip to Wembley had been snatched away from us by the bloody weather!

5 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Yes you're correct it was 1978. Thanks for putting me straight

I took a right beating out of the ground on Rouen Road from this Man U fan

To be fair she was a big old girl

• Haha 1

On 08/09/2023 at 17:08, cambridgeshire canary said:

Pfft, that's nothing TIL has been following Norwich for about 104 years but to give him credit he is still young in his mind bless him

Have you ever been to a game, that’s the burning question though? Lol

On 08/09/2023 at 17:48, Wings of a Sparrow said:

50 years for me too. First match was in 1973.

It still peeves me that I don't know exactly who my first match was against.. 

It was the Texaco Trophy, a mid week match, early season because it started off in daylight. I know it was against Scottish opposition, but we played two teams and I'm ****ed if I can remember who it was.

*(It might have been the Anglo-Scottish cup) more likely was.

As a bright eyed bushy tailed 13 year old, it was all a bit of a blur

2 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

It still peeves me that I don't know exactly who my first match was against.. 

It was the Texaco Trophy, a mid week match, early season because it started off in daylight. I know it was against Scottish opposition, but we played two teams and I'm ****ed if I can remember who it was.

*(It might have been the Anglo-Scottish cup) more likely was.

As a bright eyed bushy tailed 13 year old, it was all a bit of a blur

According to the book "Canary Citizens" the Texaco Cup opponents in 1973 were :St. Johnstone, Motherwell and Burnley which consisted of 1st and 2nd Legs. The following year: Peterborough, WBA and Birmingham. Single Legs all away.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Wasn't allowed to go until I was Nine which was 1960 so until then had to sit in front of the radio  and check dad's pools.

Thanks for that, had never heard the full jobby on that theme music and can sympathise KG, it brings back bitter-sweet memories of when a much-loved family member who never caught football, every bl**dy week would begin to chatter away as soon as the music came up at 5-o-clock in the belief that it marked the end of the business and refused to listen when told otherwise. Would go something like: "Football League Division One, Wolverhampton Wanderers What do you want for your tea? Bolton Wanderers nil; Huddersfield Tow I'm having cheese on toast would you like some? City 2; Are you listening? I said are you listening? United 6; Aston Villa 3 Or there's beans on crumpet if you like? .......

60 next month, 2-0 up at home to Sunderland with 10 minutes to go, lost 3-2. Hooked😪 

I expect we had egg and beans on toast for tea.

24 minutes ago, vos said:

According to the book "Canary Citizens" the Texaco Cup opponents in 1973 were :St. Johnstone, Motherwell and Burnley which consisted of 1st and 2nd Legs. The following year: Peterborough, WBA and Birmingham. Single Legs all away.

I think that's what I have arrived at. I have a Texaco Trophy programme/guide which makes me think it was one of those two...

*Yes, Anglo Scottish cup was later.

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow

What fantastic memories from everyone on this thread.  We can trace our lives through City scores and experiences.

I  a remember getting home to Pilling Park in time for the results on Sports Report and that iconic music.  Must have been earlier kick offs as no floodlights until when ?  Someone will know!

19 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

What fantastic memories from everyone on this thread.  We can trace our lives through City scores and experiences.

I  a remember getting home to Pilling Park in time for the results on Sports Report and that iconic music.  Must have been earlier kick offs as no floodlights until when ?  Someone will know!

Just Googled and was gobsmacked to find the world's first ever floodlit football match was at Bramall Lane on 14 October 1878 in front of more than 20,000 supporters between "Reds" and "Blues". The first competitive floodlit game was held at Mansfield Town's Field Mill ground and appears to have been in the same year. In modern times after a long ban on floodlit football seem to recall Wolves pioneered night football in the 1950s against European opposition and the first League game under lights seems to have been Portsmouth against Newcastle United in 1956. 

5 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Just Googled and was gobsmacked to find the world's first ever floodlit football match was at Bramall Lane on 14 October 1878 in front of more than 20,000 supporters between "Reds" and "Blues". The first competitive floodlit game was held at Mansfield Town's Field Mill ground and appears to have been in the same year. In modern times after a long ban on floodlit football seem to recall Wolves pioneered night football in the 1950s against European opposition and the first League game under lights seems to have been Portsmouth against Newcastle United in 1956. 

I remember watching the Wolves v Spartak floodlit match on a TV in the window of an electrical shop on Plumstead Road in the 1950s as no TV at home.  When did we have lights at Carrow Road?  Must have been candles in 1878!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

I remember watching the Wolves v Spartak floodlit match on a TV in the window of an electrical shop on Plumstead Road in the 1950s as no TV at home.  When did we have lights at Carrow Road?  Must have been candles in 1878!!

Going even further off topic (sorry Swindon), the first ever professional football match on a Sunday was on March 19, 1967 when Wisbech Town lost 2-1 at home to Dunstable Town in the Southern League Division One. 1,379 spectators were admitted by programme costing three shillings (presume the Fenmen weren't allowed to take gate money on a Sunday).

21 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Was on one of the special trains, the bar ran out of beers, ended up drinking bitter lemon !

On 09/09/2023 at 12:32, keelansgrandad said:

Probably the only time Norwich City played a team containing three European Footballers of the Year.

First game: Hull City 3 Norwich City 3, March 28, 1959.