Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

55 years !

First match somewhere near 1962. At the time when you could change ends at half time and sit at the back of the Barclay on the railway sleepers. I also remember clambering up the TV gantry in the corner of the River end to get a better view on one occasion and not hearing the warnings that were being given about it being unsafe. So somewhere around 61/62 years.

21 hours ago, Myra Hawtree said:

What fantastic memories from everyone on this thread.  We can trace our lives through City scores and experiences.

I  a remember getting home to Pilling Park in time for the results on Sports Report and that iconic music.  Must have been earlier kick offs as no floodlights until when ?  Someone will know!

I recall that the first ever game under floodlights at Carrow Roadwas a friendly against Sunderland in the late 1950s. Loat 0 -3.

Only time I ever sat in the main stand. Unless someone knows better about the first game which is very possible.

And yes what a brilliant thread so many memories of so many great games.

22 hours ago, Myra Hawtree said:

What fantastic memories from everyone on this thread.  We can trace our lives through City scores and experiences.

I  a remember getting home to Pilling Park in time for the results on Sports Report and that iconic music.  Must have been earlier kick offs as no floodlights until when ?  Someone will know!

When the clocks went back we used to kick off at 2.15pm Myra. 

Floodlights didn't start until 1956 at CR. I went to the inaugural match v Sunderland with my dad.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Besthorpe-48 said:

I recall that the first ever game under floodlights at Carrow Roadwas a friendly against Sunderland in the late 1950s. Loat 0 -3.

Only time I ever sat in the main stand. Unless someone knows better about the first game which is very possible.

And yes what a brilliant thread so many memories of so many great games.

So did I and I've still got the programme.