Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

55 years !

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

I believe there are one or two still about. I think Vos is one and also Myra Hawtree.There maybe others.

Its interesting that people remember their first game. In all honesty I can't remember who mine was against or even the exact date. I am sure it was 1953 because my grandfather had just passed away and I was in my grandmothers garden in King Street one Saturday afternoon. I heard the sound of cheering and wandered off down King Street to Carrow Rd. Russell Allison was just opening those big green gates so it must have been mid way through the second half. Along with several other curious souls and a few that couldn't afford the entry, I just wandered in to see what it was all about

And the rest is history.

Yes, I’m around 70/71 years.  My dad had been supporter since The Nest but I went with friends from the Blyth School and not with him.  Stood in The Barclay of course.  Three pence to leave bike near Hardy Road fish shop.  Roy Hollis, Reggie Foulks, Leslie Eyre, Don Pickford, Ron Ashman, Bill Lewis I remember but also cannot actually remember my first game for some reason.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Yes, I’m around 70/71 years.  My dad had been supporter since The Nest but I went with friends from the Blyth School and not with him.  Stood in The Barclay of course.  Three pence to leave bike near Hardy Road fish shop.  Roy Hollis, Reggie Foulks, Leslie Eyre, Don Pickford, Ron Ashman, Bill Lewis I remember but also cannot actually remember my first game for some reason.

I think you have a good couple of years on me Myra. I have no recollection of seeing either Les Eyre or Roy Hollis who finished at Carrow road in 1951 and 52 respectively. 

I certainly recall Pickwick, Foulkes and Ashman. My dad always used to talk about them as his top half back line.

My parents probably hadn't even met 55 years ago! I'll revisit this thread in 20 years when I feel worthy to be part of it!

I'm sure you'll say I'm only a glory hunting fan anyway since I only started to support them when they won the milk cup!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, stratton canary said:

O Jimmy Jimmy 👍

Was reading about him only the other week. He joined us on the first day he started down the mine as a qualified electrician. His club in Scotland wasn't full-time professional when he was told by them that a fee had been agreed with us.

He remains a workaholic to this day and still does coaching north of the border.

2 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

46 here, 1st game 1977 at home to Man U, think we lost 1-2

Crikey, that was a baptism of fire. Wasn't that the infamous rampage in the Barclay where their fans attempted to dismantle the stand, one falling through the roof etc. Just a bit of doubt as the score was 2-0 to us that day, so was it the match in the next season, which finished 3-1 to ManUre in 1978?

20 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

My first game was also our first game on MOTD...

https://eafa.org.uk/work/?id=2258

Nobody had a TV when I first went.

If you missed football results at 5pm you had to wait until the pinkun arrived before you knew the score.

• Like 1

21 for me which is crazy. Football has changed so much in that time both in terms of finances and how the game is played. I was watching Norwich V Everton from our PL season under Worthington recently, the whole game is up on some Everton channel and it looks like a lower Championship game with the odd moment of quality, both of our recent relegation teams would absolutely slaughter both of those teams as football at the highest level has changed so much tactically, physically and in pace and intensity. But English football was so much more fun to watch and so unpredictable back then , it was of a lower quality but imo it was so much more fun to watch. Games are so physical and so tactical now that it's ruined a lot of the excitement. I'm not a fan who gets excited by bits of individual skill or clever neat passages of play, I like end to end excitement and chances on goal, players expressing themselves and showing passion and commitment, footballers are so placid and robotic nowadays in general and I can't help but think we've lost something in the pursuit of better tactics. 

First game was the win v Stockport at home before the play off season, sat in the old south Stand and was hooked from that moment. As a kid I actually went on a really long spell of only watching us win at CR , saw the 4-0 v Grimsby the first game of the next season as well, can't remember who my first loss was against but i remember being devastated. 

• Like 2

Just over a week for me..... but getting a bit hacked off because we don't seem to have bought anybody and we haven't been taken over...... probably go back to Chelsea on Sunday, there always something going on there 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If you missed football results at 5pm you had to wait until the pinkun arrived before you knew the score.

Always had trouble getting the midweek away results. I remember a cup replay at Sunderland where my nan had bet me sixpence we'd lose. Eventually I found out we'd won 1-0 thanks to a John Manning goal. Happy days :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Always had trouble getting the midweek away results. I remember a cup replay at Sunderland where my nan had bet me sixpence we'd lose. Eventually I found out we'd won 1-0 thanks to a John Manning goal. Happy days :classic_biggrin:

John Manning's song.

The Mighty Quinn

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

John Manning's song.

The Mighty Quinn

Come on without...

Arrdee claimed Black is Black, we want Ron Davies back :classic_cool:

• Haha 1

As usual Ricardo is spot on. My first game was more or less exactly 76 years ago. 13th Sept 1947 - lost 5-1 against - you've guessed it Ipswich Town !!!  Recent pic with a winger who was about twice as fast as we see on a pitch these days.

Darren Huckerby.jpg

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Remember that very well. I often missed the results as I had a paper round and went to collect the pink-un at the newsagents later having no idea of the score.

I’m pretty sure as well that some of the other results were latest scores as the paper was printed before the games ended so you had take the league tables with a pinch of salt.

I remember hearing that Colchester had knocked Leeds out of the cup when they were top of the league but the pink-un had it as a latest (3-2 I think) and had to wait for MOTD to find out!

• Thanks 1

My first game , so 51 years . With my lovely old Dad . 
Bloody hell . Over the years lost so many people I used to go with .  Dad always , sometimes Mum . Uncles and Aunts and some cousins . More recently my darling wife . 
So nowadays with old schoolmates and best of all my sons  . Maybe next generations incoming ! 
God bless you NCFC ! 

IMG_0139.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Well done! Which was your first game? 

Mine was Bristol City around the same time as you. 

It was Norwich City v Sheffield United who had just been relegated from the First division we won 2-0 gaols from Hugh Curran @ John  Manning our front two at the time. 

• Like 1

Chelsea at home in a cup game which was abandoned due to fog rolling in off the river. I’m sure it wasn’t the first though. Crystal Palace relegation scrap when I was allowed in the “grown ups” South Stand comes to mind too.

Edit: the allowed fog of time perhaps. Just looked it up - Dec 20 1972. League Cup semi, we were winning 3-2 at 75 min when game was abandoned. We obviously won the rematch but I didn’t see it or the Wembley final - read about them in the paper Pink’un

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Crikey, that was a baptism of fire. Wasn't that the infamous rampage in the Barclay where their fans attempted to dismantle the stand, one falling through the roof etc. Just a bit of doubt as the score was 2-0 to us that day, so was it the match in the next season, which finished 3-1 to ManUre in 1978?

Yes you're correct it was 1978. Thanks for putting me straight

• Like 1