cambridgeshire canary

Tom Cannon; Have we made a 7 million bid?

3 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

Is this Webber just taking his own analogies a little too seriously and looking to send Wagner into this season with every player named after a firearm that he can find ?

The key question of course is whether @Parma Ham's gone mouldy views him as a potential weapon... 

Surely a question a poster with ‘Blitz’ in their name could answer…🤒

• Haha 2

I posted on Saturday before Sargent's injury that we needed to loan in a young Premier League forward, and suggested that we try to find this season's Cameron Archer. Considering that Cannon, like Archer the year before, played on loan at Preston last season and their goalscoring records there are almost identical, I guess Cannon is that man. 

I never expected it to be a permanent offer, so I am pleasantly surprised. 

Everton spent £30m on Beto yesterday so that could be the reason why they're prepared to listen to offers for Cannon, especially when they've still got Calvert-Lewin, Maupay, Chermiti and the other youngster, Dobbin.

• Like 1

Sargent replaced by Cannon. Is this lazy journalism? 😅

28 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

If we shell out for him it will hopefully give us more firepower...hope he's got his shootin' boots on....

Can’t see howitzer go-er.

• Haha 1

Decent enough prospect and a good return last season in the championship. Would 7 million get him here? Really didn’t think we have that kind of money to throw at a player so pleasantly surprised….fingers crossed, another who would benefit from Barnes as his mentor.

Just now, Indy said:

Decent enough prospect and a good return last season in the championship. Would 7 million get him here? Really didn’t think we have that kind of money to throw at a player so pleasantly surprised….fingers crossed, another who would benefit from Barnes as his mentor.

I really hope this comes off. We're always pleading poverty so to find £7m down the back of the settee is a bit surprising but let's get this done.

Even if he turns out to be a bit ' meh ' at least it'll show us that NCFC hasn't entirely abandoned being pro-active when the need arises.

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

Has pulled out of the Everton squad for their cup game tonight...

Yep, not in the squad.

Sounds as if he's on the move...

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Why are people surprised we have this money?....we got £14m for Aarons and Rashica in the past fortnight...

Yes quite.

I'm also hearing rumours Omo's on the move.

Can't see us spending 7m on him. Not sure he's worth that much at this point in his career either.

31 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

Is this Webber just taking his own analogies a little too seriously and looking to send Wagner into this season with every player named after a firearm that he can find ?

The key question of course is whether @Parma Ham's gone mouldy views him as a potential weapon... 

Very strong work

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Can't see us spending 7m on him. Not sure he's worth that much at this point in his career either.

Maybe it's so much down rising to £7m if promoted

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Sometimes you have to speculate. Have we got no ambition left ?

I'm heartily sick of the ' little 'ol Norwich ' tag we've been stuck with for years

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Similar championship record to Cameron archer who has just been sold for 18 million

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Ooh - we're going to have a Cannon and a Gunn! 🙂 

No one can argue Webber isn’t trying to give Wagner the weapons he needs this year…..

I’ll get my coat.

9 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I'm heartily sick of the ' little 'ol Norwich ' tag we've been stuck with for years

It's nothing to do with ambition.

You could argue Tzolis and Rashica are attempted to be ambitious.

Ambition doesn't have to be displayed by over-paying for players.

Put it this way - if it doesn't work out and he doesn't help us get promoted will you come back on here and say "Well I can't complain, spent 7m on someone who wasn't worth anything like that but full credit to Webber for being ambitious"

Because I didnt see anyone say that about the other signings!

• Like 4

Depressing isn’t it. in this market you won’t get a decent striker for a miserly £7 million 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Put it this way - if it doesn't work out and he doesn't help us get promoted will you come back on here and say "Well I can't complain, spent 7m on someone who wasn't worth anything like that but full credit to Webber for being ambitious"

But there is also another possible narrative: that the player who scored a goal every 2 games for a mid-table Championship team last season continued that form for City and turned out to be the bargain of the year. I guess our scouts will have been well aware of his career to date and think he's worth that sort of money. We certainly wouldn't get a "many-seasons" proven goal scorer for that sort of money. 

I do take your point about the criticisms of Weber.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

Depressing isn’t it. in this market you won’t get a decent striker for a miserly £7 million 

Not sure if you’re being serious?

Just to say I’ve not seen him play bar highlights from last season at Preston, but a lot of people think a lot of him, if we can get him for 7 million it’s a bit of a bargain!

For measure! Hugill played 103 games and scored 23 his time at Preston, last Hugill has managed 5 goals in 22 for Rotherham and Cannon has 8 goals in 20 during his loan at Preston! 
Bargain if we can buy him for £7 million! IMO

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

£7 million for a 20 yr old striker from an EPL side, on the back of 8 in 20 for an average Championship side seems an appropriate fee. In any case, I doubt it’s that much upfront. 

I think he looks good on the footage posted , strong on the ball , doesn't look slow either and good finishes and 8 goals in 20 for a bang average championship side , here's hoping we get this done ,however Everton can't score goals and it's strange he hasn't been given a run in the side for them!

1 hour ago, Barham Blitz said:

Sky are reporting it now.  I had heard he had done well at Preston last season but didn't see much of it and had assumed he'd get a bit of a go at Everton given that they seem desperate for a striker.  

Has to be said that goals reel from FF above looks highly interesting.  Bit of pace, bit of physicality and some cool (and different) finishes.  Will make things interesting when Josh is fit again if we do sign him mind as for that price you'd have to assume he'll be viewed as a probable starter.

He looks very comfortable on  the ball. Some excellent  finishes on the video..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It’s everything to do with ambition. This possible signing is slightly different in that Tzolis and Rashica we’re brought in when everyone was in the doldrums. This time there’s a real sense of excitement

I’ll admit the team have surprised most of us by starting the season  like an express train for the first time in 20 years.  But now we’ve  lost one of our star strikers for God-knows-how-long and will end up relying on an injury prone Adam Idah to hold the front line with Barnes if we don’t get some re-inforcement in.

True there’ll be a lot of ‘ I told you so ‘ if it doesn’t come off but the feel good factor has returned in spades so let’s grasp this opportunity and have a real good go at it.

34 minutes ago, hogesar said:

23 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Similar championship record to Cameron archer who has just been sold for 18 million

Exactly, I was then about to make the Archer comparison again. 

Archer scored seven in 20 for Preston at the age of 20 in 2021/22, then had a loan spell at Middlesbrough where he scored 11 in 20, and has now been sold for £18m.

Cannon scored eight in 20 for Preston at the age of 20 in 2022/23. A valuation of £7m could prove to be a bargain if he does well for us, although it could, of course, be another waste of money if he turns out to be another Tzolis. 

It's also worth noting that Everton sold Ellis Simms, another centre forward, to Coventry this summer for £8m. Simms' Championship record was very similar to that of Archer and Cannon, but is actually two years older than Cannon as well.

£7m doesn't seem excessive for Cannon in the current market.

He didn't do too much when we stuffed Preston 4-0 last season but maybe he wasn''t given the right ammunition.

(Despite the slight joke, I am serious, but really none of the Preston players did well that day).

he looks strong/fast/eye for goal ticks all the boxes for the system we now play

coring 8/20 for preston takes some doing

would assume £7.5m is a package deal and not in one lump

Edited by Paul101