Ok, so it is clear this coming Championship league season is going to be perhaps the most competitive one ever, so probably no run-away leaders, a very congested mid-table scenario, with most clubs within distance of either end of the table. To get top six will need a sustained good run at some point of the season - and yes it could be us, but it might not be - not because we are necessarily that poor on the pitch, but by the sheer quality and competiteness of the league.

So do we throw our toys out of the pram if we're not in or near the top six after ten games?  If we struggle to start with, do we do the same as some fans did in Farke's second season after a few games and shout for Wagner's head? Or have we learned that sometimes instant success on the pitch is not guaranteed and that we will have to be patient?

All these are very silly questions, because there are ALWAYS fans who lose the plot easily, but really, what should we expect?  For my money we should expect the team to give 100% and leave it all out there - but not expect instant results.  Even last season we could - and maybe should have got a top six place - all it needed was a decent few games near the end of the season - and as long as we are mid-table towards the end of this season, there is always that chance we could put a run together and get in there.

This season - more than any other - is not going to be a walk in the park, so I suggest girding your loins, get ready for the battles ahead, leave your cynicism at home and don't expect too much straight away..........but that's just wht I think, what do you think? 

I didn't throw my toys out the pram when Neil Adams was in charge so how am I supposed to react when we slip a little from the top 6?

44 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Ok, so it is clear this coming Championship league season is going to be perhaps the most competitive one ever, so probably no run-away leaders, a very congested mid-table scenario, with most clubs within distance of either end of the table. To get top six will need a sustained good run at some point of the season - and yes it could be us, but it might not be - not because we are necessarily that poor on the pitch, but by the sheer quality and competiteness of the league.

So do we throw our toys out of the pram if we're not in or near the top six after ten games?  If we struggle to start with, do we do the same as some fans did in Farke's second season after a few games and shout for Wagner's head? Or have we learned that sometimes instant success on the pitch is not guaranteed and that we will have to be patient?

All these are very silly questions, because there are ALWAYS fans who lose the plot easily, but really, what should we expect?  For my money we should expect the team to give 100% and leave it all out there - but not expect instant results.  Even last season we could - and maybe should have got a top six place - all it needed was a decent few games near the end of the season - and as long as we are mid-table towards the end of this season, there is always that chance we could put a run together and get in there.

This season - more than any other - is not going to be a walk in the park, so I suggest girding your loins, get ready for the battles ahead, leave your cynicism at home and don't expect too much straight away..........but that's just wht I think, what do you think? 

If the first 10 games are anything like the last ten then Wagner should be sacked  

53 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

There was me thinking you may post something without reference to your beloved Farke, how wrong I was 🤣🤣🤣

On that basis I almost couldn’t be bothered to read it, but it wasn’t so bad.

In fact, people were clamouring to bin Farke almost every season he was with us: (17/18 we’re going nowhere, 18/19 poor start (beating PNE saved him), 19/20 was a blip, there wasn’t much complaining, 20/21 poor start, 21/22 poor start and we did bin him)

Edited by Branston Pickle

I’d love us to do well,  it I just can’t see it. The system last year was awful and utterly predictable. If it’s “same system, slightly different players” then we’ll be mid table again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

You know Farke is at Leeds..  I am sure you'd be very welcome on their forums.. closer to visit too...

41 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:
4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

You know Farke is at Leeds..  I am sure you'd be very welcome on their forums.. closer to visit too...

I hate to disappoint you, but this post was not about Farke, it is about this season's expectations.

Seems like some of you find even the mention of the word "Farke" too sensitive to handle......

23 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Seems like some of you find even the mention of the word "**CENSORED**" too sensitive to handle......

Nonsense!

• Haha 2

Said in another thread that what I want to see are signs that Norwich City are playing more like the Wagner-led Huddersfield side. Strong pressing, and durable under pressure when pushed onto the back foot. I accept it was very difficult to get that turnaround from the pretty unfit-looking side Smith put out and that can't really be remedied mid-season.

It also explains why we'd often put a decent show against quality opposition away from home such as Blackburn or Millwall, then look flat and uninspired in trying to follow up. Alternatively we'd have a 20-minute spell where it looked like we were a goal away from clicking into some more confident football, then usually doing something silly. The last ten games were junk, but that's likely to happen with the spine of your team out.

Duffy and Barnes should provide us with nous and fight down the centre of the pitch. Duffy should also be somewhat aware of how Omo and Idah play to boot so you'd hope it is a little easier for him to gel. Stacey gives us a better crossing option than Max and also more height. Sargent should never have to see a goddamn wing position again and we can wang him up top all the time and tell him and Barnes to run the bejabbers off the opposition defence or hurry them into sub-optimal play.

That's what I want to see. I won't mind if we're drawing games we should win to start with, but I want to see a team working hard to get on the front foot, force errors, and still be responsible enough if caught.

• Like 2

My expectations are pretty mediocore in terms of where we are likely to finish in the league but that doesn't mean we cannot expect to see a pretty dramatic improvement in effort, tempo and playing style, even if results are patchy and we languish in mid-table.

What we must absolutely see is an improvement in home form. We cannot have Carrow Rd being the venue away teams relish coming to. I don't sense there being much patience tbh and the supporters could turn pretty quickly.

I just want to see us play some football for a sustained period, a low bar, but we haven't seen it in a while

My expectations are top 6. As that’s what every club’s aspersions should be especially for one still with parachute payments. 

In reality I worry that if we have a bad first 10 games it will be a long hard season. If things aren’t going well I can see Wagner out before Christmas. 

time will tell. 

Edited by By Hook or Ian crook

We'll get about 60-70 points and finish just outside the playoffs but our hope will be toyed with until there's about a month or so of the season left.

I think you’re an idiot who doesn’t pay for the most expensive season ticket in the championship like many of us do but still thinks he can tell or guide us on how to let this shambles of a hierarchy get away with their piśš poor management of OUR club

• Thanks 1

I remain concerned at dcm but that's a position that the recruitment team don't seem to ve worried about.    The sainz injury is a concern as we seem creatively bereft,  but creative signings, together with the return of Sara and a fully  refreshed Nunez will hopefully provide a boost.   Unable to predict just yet.

1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I think you’re an idiot who doesn’t pay for the most expensive season ticket in the championship like many of us do but still thinks he can tell or guide us on how to let this shambles of a hierarchy get away with their piśš poor management of OUR club

So what are you doing then? 

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

With the current squad I say 16th 

9/4 to finish in the top 6 and 16/1 to be relegated. Par would be finishing around 8th but who would be happy with that. 

Personally I don't think patience for the sake of it is particularly virtuous.

Wagner finished last season dreadfully. Lots has been pinned on a couple of injuries but even pre those we weren't looking great. If, after 10 games and a whole pre season to drill his style and system into players we still look like we haven't a clue then I'll happily say he should go.