norfolkngood

Delia Interview in FT Still unsure about MA

56 minutes ago, komakino said:

I basically agree with most of this, but I’m not so sure she would be comfortable with just a seat on the board as she’s always had full control - with MWJ. I’m not for one moment thinking the Atanassio’s are the long term answer, but Delia comes across as somebody who wants to know your entire life story on the first date, yet it still won’t be enough. There is no ‘right way’ of doing things here for somebody who arguably has been here far too long already. 

Mask has slipped yet again!

What about Wynnie?

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

I agree there, I also think there is a time when owners outstay their welcome tbh, which I feel ours have done and at the age they are they should realistically leave and let a younger person take it on, but as many say it’s up to them, which it is.

I doubt how long the owners have been there would affect the 50/50 tbh

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I love it. I know people in their 90's who are more switched on than people a lot younger and if their enthusiasm and drive is there, age doesn't matter.

I would like new fresh ideas and my clubs development based on something rather than one person's play thing. We can and do deserve better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Hes a poster who was proven to have made up a lie and spout it as a fact that Delia had tried to buy Ipswich. 

That's the level of poster you're dealing with.

Invest, not buy. I’m still keeping an open mind on this one, but it would never surprise me. 

1 minute ago, komakino said:

Invest, not buy. I’m still keeping an open mind on this one, but it would never surprise me. 

Is that an open mind or is it one that’s closed to all available evidence to the contrary?

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Perhaps she should ask the fans what they want? After all, it's a community club, as she always states. 

If the club drops like a stone this season she'll find out that life's not her a bowl of cherries all right.

Let's, first and foremost hope upon hope they get the next Sporting Director appointment spot on.

It won’t be a community club if it’s passed to the wrong person 

agreed re: SD role 

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Mask has slipped yet again!

What about Wynnie?

MWJ = Winnie! 

Hoping just a ploy to somehow increase price of her shares? If the club is to move forwards and upwards she simply must sell. Or do we have more blind faith that current owners and lame duck sporting director will turn things around? Not me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, essex canary said:

Did we beat them last season with their severe financial restrictions and us flush with cash?

You really are wedded to the idea that the more money a club has, the better they do. 

I am not wishing for a oil rich mega spending spree in a owner but a owner who at least puts money in when needed ,

Delia and MWJ just can not or will not put that extra money in that might make a difference ,

if you own a company of any type you need to put your own money in sometimes to progress and grow ,

Edited by norfolkngood
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

You really are wedded to the idea that the more money a club has, the better they do. 

In a sense No. Nonetheless it is essentially the argument the Webbers have offered and Delia's comment about football being awash with cash reinforces it so I am playing them on their territory. Getting Value for Money is really what matters. Get to work on that and stop making excuses.

8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I would say it’s more that it is nigh on impossible to be successful, in the Premier League, which is where we all want to be successful without a pot of money rather than the simplistic view of money = success. I think most rational people probably do realise that. 

• Like 2

“I suggest a glass of white wine. Smith immediately interjects, “Great, we’ll have a bottle.” We’re off to a promising start.”

This is the real Delia. Fantastic stuff. 

• Haha 2

Maybe I'm naive but I don't think there are many who believe 'new ownership = guaranteed success.' 

However the last few seasons have very clearly shown us the glass ceiling of this model and without change I fear the next couple of seasons could really see the bottom fall out of it. The idea of being debt free and self funding in the Championship is only sustainable for so long and somewhat precariously lies on the assumption that we'll always have a couple of players to sell for 8 figure sums to bridge those gaps- and even then its tough to do that if those sums go into just keeping the club going rather than squad and infrastructure improvements. 

I personally think we, as a club, got a bit arrogant after that first promotion under Farke and thought we'd cracked the secret code. Promotion built on a conveyor belt of youth team prospects and cheap foreign imports that we could sell for huge sums. As time has gone on though it turns out that isn't an easy method to replicate and now here we are.

We can't guarantee new ownership means sustained premier league success. But we can essentially guarantee that current ownership means that we won't have that. It isn't their fault, it's just the reality of football.

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Yes that doesn't work does it, just ask Man City fans if they are happy to be where they are given where they were 25 years ago! 😉

Edited by Indy

1 hour ago, Coneys Knee said:

I would say it’s more that it is nigh on impossible to be successful, in the Premier League, which is where we all want to be successful without a pot of money rather than the simplistic view of money = success. I think most rational people probably do realise that. 

No, I hate the premier league. If we could have the choice of staying in the Championship upon promotion, I'd stay. I know I'm in the minority on this one but the EPL is just irritating. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

Maybe I'm naive but I don't think there are many who believe 'new ownership = guaranteed success.' 

However the last few seasons have very clearly shown us the glass ceiling of this model and without change I fear the next couple of seasons could really see the bottom fall out of it. The idea of being debt free and self funding in the Championship is only sustainable for so long and somewhat precariously lies on the assumption that we'll always have a couple of players to sell for 8 figure sums to bridge those gaps- and even then its tough to do that if those sums go into just keeping the club going rather than squad and infrastructure improvements. 

I personally think we, as a club, got a bit arrogant after that first promotion under Farke and thought we'd cracked the secret code. Promotion built on a conveyor belt of youth team prospects and cheap foreign imports that we could sell for huge sums. As time has gone on though it turns out that isn't an easy method to replicate and now here we are.

We can't guarantee new ownership means sustained premier league success. But we can essentially guarantee that current ownership means that we won't have that. It isn't their fault, it's just the reality of football.

Trouble is MA has already invested more into this club in a bit part than the current owners have in 28 years, so this custodian rubbish spouted by DS is a little old hat! It's time for a change just to get the club going again, we are still all fragmented, DOF who's resigned still leading things, struggling to off load players we wanted to sell with less than four weeks o go to the start of the season, a debt which is being serviced by the parachute money, once it's been paid back we're going to have to see major cut backs.......I could go on but also we've jus gone from a Premiership season to a very poor championship season and now into a very important summer which is still to be seen if it's successful or not! All questions still to be answered.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

No, I hate the premier league. If we could have the choice of staying in the Championship upon promotion, I'd stay. I know I'm in the minority on this one but the EPL is just irritating. 

Maybe following competitive sport isn’t for you. Have you tried picking up another hobby, something where everyone gets a medal at the end?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

“I suggest a glass of white wine. Smith immediately interjects, “Great, we’ll have a bottle.” We’re off to a promising start.”

This is the real Delia. Fantastic stuff. 

"We need a 12th bottle here. Where is it? Where is it? Let's be 'avin it! Come on!".....'hic'.....

image.jpeg.945011ab468070e4c64c386a891e2fd1.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mello Yello said:

"We need a 12th bottle here. Where is it? Where is it? Let's be 'avin it! Come on!".....'hic'.....

image.jpeg.945011ab468070e4c64c386a891e2fd1.jpeg

I wish she’d do this again one last time. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Maybe following competitive sport isn’t for you. Have you tried picking up another hobby, something where everyone gets a medal at the end?

No need to be a condescending pr1ck. 

I hate VAR, I hate all the w@nkers that 'support' 'their' teams from cities they've even never been to, I hate the money, and I hate it's all angled towards the export market. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

No need to be a condescending pr1ck. 

I hate VAR, I hate all the w@nkers that 'support' 'their' teams from cities they've even never been to, I hate the money, and I hate it's all angled towards the export market. 

So do you hate the fact we make a huge profit on many of our young players we’ve sold over the years too? 

5 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

So do you hate the fact we make a huge profit on many of our young players we’ve sold over the years too? 

No, that's good business and a good model. 

Profit is fine, it's the *insert however many millions* teams are allowed to lose each year. Then you are expected to throw money away each year to compete. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

However the last few seasons have very clearly shown us the glass ceiling of this model and without change I fear the next couple of seasons could really see the bottom fall out of it. The idea of being debt free and self funding in the Championship is only sustainable for so long.

Nobody with half a brain thinks more money equals success. I keep seeing this referenced as a argument . It’s nonsense. 

People (also with half a brain) can see that the current financial structure cannot sustain  future success either . People are selective with their facts supporting the polarity. Look at Wigan ? Then again look at Brighton. 

The club needs more money . It needs to compete in the transfer market . It didn’t compete successfully in the premier league because it didn’t compete in the contract negotiations with players, existing and targeted. This is so obvious it hardly needs mentioning. Yes we spent money. But we spent it on a best case basis . Which players would come with a significant relegation clause in the contract? Answer - those that were either not really good enough or those that were a risk that others didn’t need to take . 

Some in the club privately reference the sale of Buendia and everything that signalled as the turning point  throughout the board. It was then they realised that they had to do something. Especially as Brentford kept Toney . 

It isn’t an argument the directors are having The club itself recognises the need for money. Best case at the moment is parity between Anastasio and D/M. That’s  what the club are looking to achieve but the Takeover Rules are the sticking point. If all shareholders get the same offer - MA could gain a controlling interest . The club don’t want that (at the moment) . They have to avoid the Rules being applied and they will . 

The Club know they need money. Do they think it will guarantee success - of course they don’t . But they know they need more to compete and they have found a possible income stream they didn’t have before . They don’t want to give him control now/yet . All the whataboutery is just noise. 

• Like 1

Delia seems determined to go out with a bang. There's an article in the Torygraph today whereby she denounces both vegetarians/vegans and the Labour Party.

Go at it girl, but please don't get involved in the debate about whether a woman can have a penis, we don't want transgenders placarding around Carrow Road just yet. 

No mention of her Norwich City involvement and apparently MWJ is 52 and does most of the home cooking

Delia Smith

"I do it MY way."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/07/14/delia-smith-denounces-veganism-not-helping-planet/

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

The problem is that owners get ed up of "giving" money year in, year out and stop, often leaving the club with a pile of debt. Those that don't leave a pile of debt, scale back their ambitions. Owners cannot subsidise their way to permanent premier league status for clubs our size. It is a simple fact, I'm afraid.

Which clubs with a ground capacity of 27,000 has spent more time than us in the Premier League in the last 20 years? The only way to become established is through patient organic growth. Sorry.

• Like 1

You have to wonder whether another season of bottom half finish and increased debt / declining squad value would put MA off buying