Sign in to follow this  
Flying Dutchman

Shots fired from Todd Cantwell

Can’t help himself. He loved the attention and loves it still. Hence the post. I haven’t given Cantwell another thought. 

He came in for unfair criticism. I doubt anyone was saying Hanley ought to shave better when he scored an own goal or Teemu should shave a stupid beard off when he missed a sitter.

But Todd's criticism became personal and nasty and I would say that he never gave less than 100% on the pitch and we do not know the reasons for his sabbatical (so many made something up because their milkman's wifes hairdressers window cleaners gardner used to live only 40 miles from where he used to play as a child).

I, for one, am delighted one of our own is doing well, even if it is for a different team.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I'd rather he was playing for us than impressing at Rangers.

Yes. Todd obviously plays a part in that but can't help but feel its the clubs job to protect him and get the best out of him for us.

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

He came in for unfair criticism. I doubt anyone was saying Hanley ought to shave better when he scored an own goal or Teemu should shave a stupid beard off when he missed a sitter.

But Todd's criticism became personal and nasty and I would say that he never gave less than 100% on the pitch and we do not know the reasons for his sabbatical (so many made something up because their milkman's wifes hairdressers window cleaners gardner used to live only 40 miles from where he used to play as a child).

I, for one, am delighted one of our own is doing well, even if it is for a different team.

Yeah, good post.

• Like 1

I would imagine the Celtic fans have some interesting opinions on his hair and clothes - but he isn’t bothered by that. Nor should he ever have been bothered by Norwich fans views.  He seemed a nice lad to me, but I felt he just wanted out from the moment of our relegation. 

Once a bell end always a bell end should be put on his grave stone 

• Like 1

Always the victim our Todd 

shouldn’t let comments on social media affect him as a professional football it’s part of it unfortunately! 

I do wonder if the comments he’s made there are directed at internal people within the club? 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bert said:

Once a bell end always a bell end should be put on my grave stone 

Sorted.!!.. very easily. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Todd Cantwell will thrive at Rangers. Not because of the relative poor quality of opposition, but because of the love he'll receive from the stands.

They'll make him feel like a giant. In return, he'll run the extra mile and leave everything on the park.

He could dress as a Juggalo in his spare time, they won't care, as long as he gives him all in a Rangers shirt.

And therein lies the difference TDK.

Even when he was playing his best football with us, there was still the incessant focus on his social media, his personal appearance and numerous other factors that had nothing to do with what he was offering on the pitch from a percentage of our fan base.

This wasn't love from the stands, it was a minor witch hunt from smaller minded people who wanted to focus on the non-football part of the player instead of what actually mattered.

Clearly this had an impact on him on a personal level, alongside other potential issues behind the scenes (that none of us know for sure what happened), and it's no surprise that his performances and apparent attitude tipped as time went on, and it all ended up being a bit acrimonious and from that aspect I can understand a degree of potential bitterness from him about the whole.

It's incredibly easy for us to sit here and look at the wages and the fame and pay no attention to how these things impact your daily life, outlook and demeanour, and I do feel that if there'd been less focus on this, and more on getting behind the lad, then it could have been very different.

In the end, the move was the best choice for all parties, and I'm pleased he's back enjoying his football and getting the plaudits he deserves from the Rangers fans, because much like getting rid of Farke and Buendia, the handling of Cantwell seems to have been another failure to some degree from the club, and certainly from the fans who hounded him relentlessly, and it could all have been very different IMHO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FCC said:

I would imagine the Celtic fans have some interesting opinions on his hair and clothes - but he isn’t bothered by that. Nor should he ever have been bothered by Norwich fans views.  He seemed a nice lad to me, but I felt he just wanted out from the moment of our relegation. 

Yeah but equally I doubt he was bothered if Ipswich fans were having a pop at him. Its a bit different when it's your own club.

I do of course wonder what shade of blonde it maybe this season….

No I really don’t, my thoughts are firmly on the following:

Who will replace SW and when? The sooner the better.

Will we finally sign the CDM we so badly need. 

I have kind of given up on the whole MA thing though.

It's a good job Adam Idah hasn't taken to cryptic statements on social media .

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

For someone moving forward and a fresh start, he needs to stop talking about his ex so much. Obviously very bitter emotions towards the club/fans. Wait until you've retired and put it all in the autobiography. 

I don't mind Todd he is what he is....Max should have mentored him on how to behave and be a model football pro....

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yeah but equally I doubt he was bothered if Ipswich fans were having a pop at him. Its a bit different when it's your own club.

Plenty of Gers fans had a pop about his hair on their forum. I don’t have social media but I’d find it very hard to believe that no-one has had a pop from posters up there about him, whether it be rangers fans or fans of Celtic posing at rangers fans. Overall the forum was saying they welcome him and hope he can put his indifferent 2 years prior behind him. I think the same could pretty much be said of a talent coming our way who had maybe lost a bit if verve for a couple of years. Perhaps we would be a bit more sceptical but surely this is reasonable based on the range of young players who have yet to impress or lost their way that come here and continued to be or a talent perceived that never materialised. 

Good luck to him. Couldn’t care about his social media digs. They seem to suggest he feels bitter, but if he has 2 indifferent years at Rangers it won’t be long before the irrelevant, unnecessary and pretty basic jibes come out about his personal appearance or social media profile. This far he has played well it seems, so no problem. Just like when he was playing well for us. The problems only start if he has s run if poor form, the Ibrox crowd won’t just be quiet if that happens. I hope it doesn’t but why couldn’t he phrase his post “It’s nice going into preseason knowing I am with a great squad, a great manager and a great opportunity to impress in Europe and take this club back to the top of the SPL where it belongs”. Could’ve made it a great positive thing and about football. Hey ho. Opportunity lost. 

Edited by SwearyCanary

20 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

why couldn’t he phrase his post “It’s nice going into preseason knowing I am with a great squad, a great manager and a great opportunity to impress in Europe and take this club back to the top of the SPL where it belongs”. Could’ve made it a great positive thing and about football. Hey ho. Opportunity lost. 

Have to agree with that.  It went sour at Norwich for various reasons, all of which culminated in him being unhappy with responses on social media, unhappy with the manager because he wasn't picked, unhappy with the club because of contract issues. Not saying there isn't blame on both sides, but it takes two to fall out.

His comments tell us he hasn't really moved on and he really could have made a comment like you suggest, showing positivity and looking forwards, but instead his repeated harping back just fuel more negative comments and keep the whole thing going.....but then that is the classic case of feeling hard done by but making it worse by keeping drawing attention to yourself, which then lays yourself open to accusations of narcissism.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Thanks 1

Sounds to me he has moved and is enjoying life where he is now. The comment is short and sweet and it doesn't look as though he will be spilling the beans on what galled him about Norwich.

Todd at 65...it's still too raw, but one day I'll reveal the whole truth...🥱😴🤣

Apples

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Always the victim our Todd 

shouldn’t let comments on social media affect him as a professional football it’s part of it unfortunately! 

I do wonder if the comments he’s made there are directed at internal people within the club? 

If he did a who do you think you are I guarantee there will be scouse blood in him 

21 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

In fairness, you can't criticise Cantwell and tell him to "get over it" when Billy Gillour is still being used as a Piñata here*, a year after leaving.

What are the odds that someone here will create (someone who isn't me) a Billy Gilmour thread if he's not in the Brighton XI in the first EPL match next season, with the intent to mock him? 1.01?

*Even though he finished the season in a top 6 EPL team. Won over a world class manager and is the new darling of the Brighton fans. Oh. And he's got one foot in the European Championships.

It's primarily only you who brings up Gilmour. He was a waste of a signing for us, did nothing. If he does well then great to him. If he doesn't I also don't care.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

In fairness, you can't criticise Cantwell and tell him to "get over it" when Billy Gillour is still being used as a Piñata here*, a year after leaving.

What are the odds that someone here will create (someone who isn't me) a Billy Gilmour thread if he's not in the Brighton XI in the first EPL match next season, with the intent to mock him? 1.01?

*Even though he finished the season in a top 6 EPL team. Won over a world class manager and is the new darling of the Brighton fans. Oh. And he's got one foot in the European Championships.

Playing the likes of Georgia and Cyprus, isnt the same as playing Premier League oppositon.

Brighton's league position had very little to do with him

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnight said:

It's true.

Whining about Cantwell not being to let go of Norwich, when some Norwich fans can't let go of Gilmour.

That's what irony looks like.

You mean a comparison between a lad who was born and bred in Norfolk, came up through the academy , represented England at various levels whilst at the Club and played in the prem with that club. Then goes on social media and repeatedly infers the club has wronged him. 
And Billy Gilmour. 

Ps I really can’t believe I’m bothering , but it’s either this or take the dog out. 

• Haha 1

On 24/06/2023 at 21:32, Flying Dutchman said:

Well the first responses speak volumes.

Well done guys. Well done you.

Really? I have no skin in this gave, you must. What's your angle? All I see is a guy who must appreciate that he had a sliding doors moment. Was lauded as the next best thing, certainly in his (short) pomp, more saleable than Buendia. But now, having to rebuild in the 2nd best team in a poor league. Shame, had it all... Could again. 

10 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Difference between Todd, Temu and Handley is that the latter two didn't go onto social media with cryptic comments and look-at-me posts. Once you put something out on social media about yourself then that is an invitation for others to comment on it. so you can't call it unfair criticism. The solution is an easy one. If you don't want comments then don't post on social media.