Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Goodbye Kieran Dowell..

He'll do well there. Dowell was one of those who was better when we were on the front foot, but a bit too lightweight when we had to scrap more. Best of luck to him up there.

Disappointing as I was one of those who wanted him in the side more. However, be it selection or injury, he only played the equivalent minutes of a smidge over 12 games this year (and that was the most he's ever managed for us).

Goes back to my previous thoughts RE Hayden; do we benefit more from having Dowell for 12 games or someone not as good but plays 40+? 

3 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Disappointing as I was one of those who wanted him in the side more. However, be it selection or injury, he only played the equivalent minutes of a smidge over 12 games this year (and that was the most he's ever managed for us).

Goes back to my previous thoughts RE Hayden; do we benefit more from having Dowell for 12 games or someone not as good but plays 40+? 

Can we have someone who is as good but plays 40 games. Please. Someone who can run faster than me would be a bonus 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Can we have someone who is as good but plays 40 games. Please. Someone who can run faster than me would be a bonus 

Well yes the ideal situation would be Dowell stays fit all season and stays. But his custard cream legs fairly saw to that 😅 

In fairness, we don't know how fast you can run.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Needs replacing.

We missed him as soon as he was injured. The odd thing is that I’m not overly bothered he is gone 

• Like 1

Talented player.

Talented, but inconsistent. Plus a bit injury prone.

I wish him well in Scotland.

Lost some goals from midfield here...Sara aside, nobody else in midfield chips in with any.

Would like to know whether we even offered him a new contract or that he indicated early on that he had this move lined up and wouldnt be signing a new one?

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Lost some goals from midfield here...Sara aside, nobody else in midfield chips in with any.

Would like to know whether we even offered him a new contract or that he indicated early on that he had this move lined up and wouldnt be signing a new one?

Nunez when fit came up with a few

Another one who's decided they can handle probably six toughish games a season and just go thru the motions for the rest. To lightweight for the league we're in. One good game in five not enough.

12 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Wagner did say the clubs were in talks with him, the annoyance is that had he not got injured there's a chance that we'd be in the playoffs and he'd be looking at renewing.  Just how it goes, I guess.

Never really rated Dowell. Injury prone. Too slow. Rarely tracked back. Sure, he can potentially unlock defences which is important when we face two banks of 4 but honestly, we don't need him. He'll do okay for Rangers I'm sure.

Edited by Michael Starr

Good player on his day. 

but he will be injured by September and out til Christmas. 

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

He said he was never going to play for us again. He left here an angry man. 

A great player in there but like Byram also hampered by injuries. I think he could have been a key player for us, clearly has an eye for goal and was able to provide assists but never really grew as a player in his time here due to never being able to string many games together. That said I think he'll do well up North. Cantwell on one flank and Dowell on the other for rangers - who'd have thought that a season ago

Edited by AJ

Dowell is another player who is much better now he's left. He's lightweight and injury prone. Yes, he'll probably do well in Scotland because it's a poor league, emphasised by the fact that Cantwell scored his 6th goal in 12 games for Rangers tonight. Two players who could barely get into a Champs side will now be first choice for the second best team in Scotland.

Neither were good enough.

I always liked Dowell but with his lack of pace and lack of defensive inclination I always felt that he would be better suited more centrally as a #10 than where we always seemed to play him in the wider role.

Good player.  Will do well at Rangers I suspect.   I also suspect he is one Wagner really wanted to keep.

13 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Dowell is another player who is much better now he's left. He's lightweight and injury prone. Yes, he'll probably do well in Scotland because it's a poor league, emphasised by the fact that Cantwell scored his 6th goal in 12 games for Rangers tonight. Two players who could barely get into a Champs side will now be first choice for the second best team in Scotland.

Neither were good enough.

Both on song (or in Cantwell's case the wanting to be here version of a couple of years ago) would walk into our current starting XI.  Would you really want any two of Onel, Sargent, Tzolis or Marquinos starting ahead of either of them ?  Maybe you would - it's a game of opinions.  I wouldn't.

• Like 3