Midlands Yellow

When Did You Fall In Love With City

1975, staring at a grave site near the train station. Norwich were playing Sunderland and I couldn’t stop wondering what that magic sound was a mere mile away. 

• Like 1

1998 - my grandad took me to my very first game at Carra as a 5 year old kid... Will never ever forget how magical that place seemed the first time walking in. 

• Thanks 1

Born in Guildford but my Grandad and Dad were City fans. Spent 1979 being the only kid in my school trying to complete the Norwich team in that years Panini sticker album. Guess I knew I was hooked at that point.

• Thanks 1

When I started Infant School in 1956 aged 5. Kicked a ball around and Dad told me what it was like going to watch City. He wouldn't let me go to matches until 1960 though.

March 1968.  A 3-2 win against Bristol City. It seems incredible now that a group of 8 year olds were allowed to go to a football match on their own. 

• Like 1

1963. They used to open the gates at half time and you could get in for free.My brother and I used to go every Saturday at half time to watch either the reserves or the 1st team. Supported Norwich ever since.

Later in life than most, we moved to Norfolk in the summer of 1988 when I was 12. Dad took me to Norwich v Middlesbrough on a very cold December day. It was 0-0 and a dreadful match but I was hooked, my best friend was a Norwich fan so started going to games with him.

Must have been the mid 90's when I was young and often visited my grandad on weekends (Sadly no longer alive) and whenever there was a Norwich match on he would always take me to watch the match with him. Got some very good memories.

He often talked about how his dad took him to games when he was young and I feel rather sad I can't remember much of what he said, whole different world back then just after world war 2 when English football had just restarted.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Early 70s. Some fantastic memories. I'm in it for the duration now unlike a few who seem to going a bit flakey at the thought of being a Championship team.

My first game was 1986 against Carlisle, don't really remember it that well. I think I got properly hooked around 1988. My first 'favourite player' was Malcolm Allen, and the first game I remember very clearly was the 8-0 win against Sutton in 1989.

From birth if it's in the family, old boy, grandad, uncles all fanatics. Especially the old boy, the pram he took me in for my first game was painted in yellow and green stripes.

1959 when I was seven and a half. My dad was a cricket fan, and all I knew about the game was that a wet leather ball was too heavy for me to kick further than a couple of yards, but when Cup fever swept through the school like a dose of covid, it was magical. 

When City lost the semifinal replay I was desolate because I thought it was all over, knowing nothing about league football at that stage.  For better or worse, I was hooked.

Edited by benchwarmer

4 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Sept.'67. A 1-3 defeat to Portsmouth. 2 days after my 10th birthday.Legs thru the railings behind the goal at the riverend. Half a crown to get in I think.

6 months later I may well have been sitting next to you with legs through the railings! 

1972, growing up in Lowestoft and my dad said pick either Ip**** or us, I choose us because most of my schoolmates supported Ip****!

Its been a rollercoaster 50 years lol

Mid way through 1980-81 season aged 6 when my father/grandad started taking me in the old family area in the south stand at the river end, end of the pitch 

Hated going at first but had no choice as my mother would be at at work and had to go.

Didnt help that we got relegated at the end of that season ...then sold Fashanu

Wasnt until the next season 81/82 that I started getting into it properly and the promotion which subsequently followed

The team of Woods Haylock Downs McGuire Walford Watson Barham O'Neill Deeehan Bertschin Bennett sub: Jack was the team I realky started supporting

1963 my first two games being 5-0 FA Cup game v Newcastle and 3 days later a 6-0 league game v Stoke or was it the other way round.

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

1963 my first two games being 5-0 FA Cup game v Newcastle and 3 days later a 6-0 league game v Stoke or was it the other way round.

Stoke 9/3/63 followed by Newcastle 13/3/63. 

• Thanks 1

A 1-1 home draw with Millwall and Robert Fleck got sent off. Can't remember what season but maybe 1990ish. Although my love of Nodge peaked under Farke's first title win. I've never loved a team and style as much as I loved that team. 

First year at UEA, NCFC played a better game than I had previously experienced at Craven Cottage, that was 1982 October.  Been a keen attender since then.  But this season has been so poor rapidly falling out of love if it ever was love with this club.  Saint Delia has much to do with current malaise and a disinterested demeanour.  

First went in 85, went to a very few games in the 85-6 title season. I think the love probably began with Drinkell's late winner against Liverpool in 1987. Fell quite a lot out of love with football (and a bit with NCFC) in the 2010s, but Daniel Farke romanced the absolute hell out of me in 2019. Hooked again...

20 years ago now, my first season attending. I don't believe we lost at home until December that season, what an easy ride I thought I was in for.

8 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

20 years ago now, my first season attending. I don't believe we lost at home until December that season, what an easy ride I thought I was in for.

Was that 2003 and Bradford City? I remember a great home run being ended around that time by  a Robbie Blake hat trick (another player who loved playing us) 1-4 if I recall correctly.