Graham Paddons Beard

Billy Gilmour. Out of Favour at Brighton

Well having just watched the game highlights, Gilmour wasn’t mentioned once, the Wolves midfield created no end of chances and his stats don’t read well! Pretty ordinary and really nothing to scream about given the result! You’d think he’d have been the MOM the way you big him Up. Not sure why we’re still bringing up a loan player who was utterly ****e for us and not really making massive impact at Brighton!

Edited by Indy

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Fair enough.

However, as long as this thread exists (I didn't post it), I'm within my rights to contribute to it.

If you don't like it, have it removed.

Not sure what you’re hoping for here. Billy isn’t good enough to carry a poor team, correct? But he looks better and doesn’t get found out in a team of better players playing on the front foot (not playing backs to the wall) - also correct? When he plays against the likes of Declan Rice or Rodri he’s rolled over.

Edited by WD40

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/billy-gilmour-singed-on-a-four-year-contract.395977/page-37

Read the posts from today. Lots of Brighton fans gave him MOTM.

It's hardly just me bigging him up.

Screenshot_20230819_232741_Firefox.jpg

He was given one of the lowest ratings of all the Brighton players, don’t tell me those saying MOM for Gilmour are like you obsessed and Scottish! We don’t really care! Failed loan player, one of many recently!

9 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Can't believe we are still talking about Billy Gilmour.

We're not, his dad for some reason is still hanging around.

• Haha 1

Billy was not good at NCFC, but he has played some really nice football recently, I believe yesterday he had made around 70 passes, with a really high success rate.  It will be interesting to see how he does against the stronger sides, but certainly he did keep the ball moving yesterday, that said it is unlikely to convince Norwich fans that he was a good player whilst at Carrow road.

Incontrast every Norwich fan would enjoyed watching Skipp play, does that mean he is the better player, I am not sure, certainly a better fit at Norwich at that point.

• Like 1

Surprise surprise when playing in a functional and competitive team which has been on a consistent upward trajectory for a number of years, he does better. 

But I’m sure Normann, Sargent, Tzolis, Rashica and every other signing would’ve looked better in 21-22 if they had a better support system around them.

We simply had too many players who were not good enough, with a rubbish overall squad mentality. None of what he does now changes the fact of how poor he was for us two seasons ago, ditto anyone else. 

I’m surprised with just how much Brighton are still commanding for their players. They have some quality players but they’re made to look all the better when they’ve got such cohesiveness underneath the pitch there. It doesn’t feel like Chelsea, or anyone else, has learnt any lessons from Cucurella who has been woeful since leaving Brighton on a high for £65mil... £110mil for Caicedo is absolutely absurd!

17 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Surprise surprise when playing in a functional and competitive team which has been on a consistent upward trajectory for a number of years, he does better. 

But I’m sure Normann, Sargent, Tzolis, Rashica and every other signing would’ve looked better in 21-22 if they had a better support system around them.

We simply had too many players who were not good enough, with a rubbish overall squad mentality. None of what he does now changes the fact of how poor he was for us two seasons ago, ditto anyone else. 

I’m surprised with just how much Brighton are still commanding for their players. They have some quality players but they’re made to look all the better when they’ve got such cohesiveness underneath the pitch there. It doesn’t feel like Chelsea, or anyone else, has learnt any lessons from Cucurella who has been woeful since leaving Brighton on a high for £65mil... £110mil for Caicedo is absolutely absurd!

They are superb at recruitment but their real talent is squeezing every last penny out of clubs that buy their players. God knows what they'll get when they sell Ferguson. It will probably be a British record. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

He got a 6.7 rating, 97% passes & 4 tackles (top Brighton player for tackles) on Who Scored.

He also got a nice win bonus from Brighton.

We'll have to wait and see if his performance was enough for him to retain his place in the team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Billy was not good at NCFC, but he has played some really nice football recently, I believe yesterday he had made around 70 passes, with a really high success rate.  It will be interesting to see how he does against the stronger sides, but certainly he did keep the ball moving yesterday, that said it is unlikely to convince Norwich fans that he was a good player whilst at Carrow road.

Incontrast every Norwich fan would enjoyed watching Skipp play, does that mean he is the better player, I am not sure, certainly a better fit at Norwich at that point.

Gilmour was bad for you in a team where most were bad in the PL. Skipp was great for you in a team where most were too good for the Championship. Now Gilmour is playing well for a very good Brighton team and Skipp after being anonymous starting last weekend didn’t get off the bench against Man U in a midfield performance that had MotD purring. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, aBee said:

Gilmour was bad for you in a team where most were bad in the PL. Skipp was great for you in a team where most were too good for the Championship. Now Gilmour is playing well for a very good Brighton team and Skipp after being anonymous starting last weekend didn’t get off the bench against Man U in a midfield performance that had MotD purring. 

I think this explanation certainly puts things in some kind of context.  Norwich were mince , when he was at Norwich. Unfortunately haters have to have scapegoats, such a fickle world.

The explanation that has always put things in context is that we never hated Billy and he only was put up as the scape goat because of Chelsea and jock fans bemoaning him coming here in the first place, then the media making him their darling and telling us he was too good for us and that it was us using him wrong that made him look like a fan that had won a competition to play most weeks. 

That's what got most of our backs up, not Billy himself... Is it fair that he then got stick? Probably not, but that's football plenty of them out there that get stick. Suck it up and use it as character building. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

The explanation that has always put things in context is that we never hated Billy and he only was put up as the scape goat because of Chelsea and jock fans bemoaning him coming here in the first place, then the media making him their darling and telling us he was too good for us and that it was us using him wrong that made him look like a fan that had won a competition to play most weeks. 

That's what got most of our backs up, not Billy himself... Is it fair that he then got stick? Probably not, but that's football plenty of them out there that get stick. Suck it up and use it as character building. 

Absolutely true, these constant posters who try to blame City fans for Gilmour being **** poor given his massive overrating by some and the media! The fact Chelsea got shot must tell you all you need to know! I’d rather have Sara on this season performance than Gilmour!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

It also didn't help when we finally won a game and MOTD spoke about how well Gilmour had been running the midfield in previous games...where he hadn't even been playing!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

And it looks like he has, to be fair to him.

This post by GO should end this thread, really. He was rubbish for us, in a rubbish team as others have said. A couple of years on, he's a better player in a much better team. Good luck to him. Not sure anything else needs to be said.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

"Roberto De Zerbi: “Gilmour is a very smart player. He has an incredible attitude, incredible behaviour.

“He plays like an older player but he’s a young player.

“He’s improving a lot and he’s a completely different player to when I came to Brighton.”"

Contrary to popular belief, this isn't specifically a Norwich forum. In the first page there's threads about England, Australia, Spain, Millwall, Cambridge, Everton, Villa, etc.

Therefore, people saying that "Gilmour isn't a Norwich player" has little importance. Brian Blessed Is in a thread title, does he play for Norwich? 😛

Those who don't care about Gilmour. Don't post. I'm not really seeking negative replies.

There's more than a year of "Billy Gilmour is garbage" worth of threads and posts. "Gilmour will end up at Kilmarnock" is my personal favourite.

And in that time I was roundly mocked for saying that Gilmour is world class. And I took it in good spirits.

Surely no one will begrudge me a little wink and a nod. I'm sure not many people will. The vast majority of the people here are lovely and can take it. 🙂

Why don’t you go on the Brighton forum and discuss this with them, most of us on here don’t care! Now Sara what a player! 

Edited by Indy

10 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Contrary to popular belief, this isn't specifically a Norwich forum. In the first page there's threads about England, Australia, Spain, Millwall, Cambridge, Everton, Villa, etc.

There was me thinking that this entire sub-forum is called “Main Discussion - NORWICH CITY”. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

"Roberto De Zerbi: “Gilmour is a very smart player. He has an incredible attitude, incredible behaviour.

“He plays like an older player but he’s a young player.

“He’s improving a lot and he’s a completely different player to when I came to Brighton.”"

Therefore, people saying that "Gilmour isn't a Norwich player" has little importance. Brian Blessed Is in a thread title, does he play for Norwich? 😛

Those who don't care about Gilmour. Don't post. I'm not really seeking negative replies.

There's more than a year of "Billy Gilmour is garbage" worth of threads and posts. "Gilmour will end up at Kilmarnock" is my personal favourite.

And in that time I was roundly mocked for saying that Gilmour is world class. And I took it in good spirits.

Surely no one will begrudge me a little wink and a nod. I'm sure not many people will. The vast majority of the people here are lovely and can take it. 🙂

Thing is we lost Gilmour but gained Sara. I am over the moon with that.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Sara would walk into Scotland's midfield.....

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Indeed something that I alluded to, Sara impact here is massive, quality player who wants to be here and play for the club. 

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Indeed something that I alluded to, Sara impact here is massive, quality player who wants to be here and play for the club. 

Great minds eh Indy! 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Great minds eh Indy! 😉

I’ll hold my hands up and say how wrong I was about Barnes, thought he was just using us as a last payday, but he’s bought his full on attitude with him and looks like he’s been here for years, credit to the guy! Genuine beast with a brilliant attitude which can only help the likes of Sarg and Idah! These are the characters we need not Gilmour who believed in the hype and almost looked as though we should just be thankful he came here to play!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Sara would walk into Scotland's midfield.....

I'd walk into Scotlands midfield....

• Haha 1

He might be good now but he wasn't 2 years ago for us for a combination of reasons. 

Let it go.

We don't need 47363 posts every time he plays well gloating that he proved us wrong. And 47383 replies saying he was actually ****.

He's an irrelevance until possibly next season when we go up or if we face Brighton in the cup. Can we forget about him till then and concentrate on the fact our own players are playing pretty well at the moment and sitting bear the top of the table.

• Like 4

You were saying? Lol. Nice defending there from the wee boy ... Fact is he's f*cking dreadful and does nothing more than complete obvious 5-yard passes. McLean and Sara are both better CMs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, please can we move on.

It didn't work out for him here. Or at Chelsea. But he's settling down, having been given the time, at Brighton.

Much better players than him have struggled at a clubs far bigger than ours before shining elsewhere.

DeBruyne and Salah at Chelsea anyone!

It happens. Time for the final curtain with Billy Gilmour.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

Yes, please can we move on.

It didn't work out for him here. Or at Chelsea. But he's settling down, having been given the time, at Brighton.

Much better players than him have struggled at a clubs far bigger than ours before shining elsewhere.

DeBruyne and Salah at Chelsea anyone!

It happens. Time for the final curtain with Billy Gilmour.

Oh please! If only, but there’s a certain poster who just can’t let him go! And let’s be honest he was feckin ****e for us so not like we should be thankful for his services!

• Like 1