Graham Paddons Beard

Billy Gilmour. Out of Favour at Brighton

"His passing accuracy of 91.9% is better than any other Brighton player who has featured in at least 10 games this season" 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

yeah, and I bet all of those passes are sideways or backwards mate!!! 

53 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

You mean, the kind of passes that Declan Rice does and he's apparently worth £100m?

Regardless, every team needs a player who can recycle the ball. France and Brazil wouldn't have won their World Cups in the 90s without Deschamps and Dunga.

Not every midfielder has to be able to ping 50 yard passes on a penny. You need variation and different types of players.

Look how Casemiro has transformed Manchester United. He's not a good passer. However, his positioning is world class.

You're not trying to compare wee Billy Krankie to Declan Rice or Casimero are ya?

3 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

You mean, the kind of passes that Declan Rice does and he's apparently worth £100m?

Regardless, every team needs a player who can recycle the ball. France and Brazil wouldn't have won their World Cups in the 90s without Deschamps and Dunga.

Not every midfielder has to be able to ping 50 yard passes on a penny. You need variation and different types of players.

Look how Casemiro has transformed Manchester United. He's not a good passer. However, his positioning is world class.

Dunno, Casemiro's a bit underrated in the passing department, I'd say. Agree that his positioning is quality though.

He'll do exactly what Todd Cantwell did when he was found out for falling a bit short physically to make it at the top level in England, move to a big club in a much easier league, likely the exact same club.

Look.... Cantwell looks like a big man in a league full of midgets...

cantwell.PNG.f195a29e34d8387e9abb46f53ad8ccf5.PNG

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Yeah. Casemiro isn't a bad passer though. He can be progressive.

And like you say, his positioning is world class.

Rice is a physical defensive midfielder who breaks up play and puts in the tackles to set his team up for attack.

Little Billy does none of those. I expect he will look alright compared to the rest of the Scotland team on the ball but that's about it.

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

A lot of commentators and pundits say that, but he is so sloppy. I just looked up his stats, he has an 78% pass success rate in the EPL.

And since his job is to recycle the ball (which is an underrated ability), it's a really bad figure.

Anything above 80% is acceptable.

He plays pretty risky passes out of the deep on a fairly regular basis. Hardly a side-by-side recycle merchant, especially as United can play the counter-attack much more effectively than they have done in years - not quite back to the Ferguson days where their lightning counters down the wing were a hallmark, but Casemiro's used to looking for forward-minded playmakers or someone barrelling down a wing. Not side-by-side possession play.

1 hour ago, NFN FC said:

Who is Billy Gilmore? 

Happy's weaker younger brother. 😉

53 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

Well, he's not Happy. 😁

Apples

If only wee Billy was as good at football as Happy was at golf 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

A 21 year old lad who middle aged men are obsessed with.

(That sounds so wrong)

It is wrong.  He wasnt What we needed at the time, hell do ok but hes not as good as people thought he was. Not the first , nor the last , handy but not that great. 

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I'm still adamant that he wouldn't got a quarter of the abuse he got if Norwich actually owned him

Todd Cantwell? Kenny doesnt get a pass btw just read back some of the comments on him. Slowly some are accepting that hes been a decent servant, but not all.

FWIW, i dont abuse players, i may comment on their  performance.  

47 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I'm still adamant that he wouldn't got a quarter of the abuse he got if Norwich actually owned him.

I mean, for the most part, McLean gets backed. I like him. He's never let Scotland down, but there's a massive drop off from McGregor, Gilmour, McTominay and Ferguson to McLean.

He needs to rebuild his career. Serie A clubs seem to trust Scottish players (Hickey, Doig, Henderson and now Ferguson). I would love to see him go to Serie A. Even on loan.

I don't even rate McLean but he's better than Gilmour. Last season proved that. These threads bring out some hilarious comments from you.

6 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I actually think Rice and Casemiro are a lot alike in terms of positioning and passing.

Wouldn't surprise me if Rice plays at the back when he joins Chelsea.

He's regressed. And no, I'm not blaming Norwich. McGregor is a better option and Ferguson has blossomed in Serie A

I'd actually play him in the U21 matches (yes, he's still only 21).

I can see a midfield of McGregor, McTominay and Ferguson (with McGinn more advanced) against Cyprus and Spain.

Any SPL players who might be affordable that Norwich should be looking at TheDarkKnight? 

I was a bit disappointed we didn't take a punt on Ryan Porteous as was rumoured (unless we tried but he just chose Watford).

A few young Scots have gone to Italy and done well haven't they... Hickey, Ferguson, Doig.

He has struggled from being over hyped at a very young age. There is a player in there but he needs regular game time somewhere like the champs (and not for us!!) 

I think it is simple, he can't tackle, and although he is neat and tidy with the ball he had to contribute to the hard miles a team does.

He would have had a easier time if he was an NCFC player, and he would have had less game time.

Was it his fault he is over hyped, probably not, although he did jump to Chelsea before he needed to in a belief he was destined for the very top, so perhaps doesn't have his feet on the ground as you would hope.

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight said:

He really isn't.

I posted the numbers that showed that Gilmour outperformed both Normann and McLean. I'm sure you'll find it if you search around.

I haven't got blind bias. I've already said that I want Gilmour to drop down the u21s in order to get him some minutes. He's going through a difficult spell.

Numbers. Football isn't played on a spreadsheet. I watched the pair of them on grass about 30 times last season. McLean was better. Awful, but still better than Gilmour by some.

Normann was better to.

• Like 1

My prediction of him ending up at Kilmarnock might become true sooner rather than later, in fact I might have over egged his career. 

I'm still adamant that he wouldn't got a quarter of the abuse he got if Norwich actually owned him.

I mean, for the most part, McLean gets backed. I like him. He's never let Scotland down, but there's a massive drop off from McGregor, Gilmour, McTominay and Ferguson to McLean.

He needs to rebuild his career. Serie A clubs seem to trust Scottish players (Hickey, Doig, Henderson and now Ferguson). I would love to see him go to Serie A. Even on loan.

You are missing the point DK. This thread isn’t about Wee Billy , it’s about the stick we as a club and set of fans got for ruining the career of the next Iniesta . We were told by the Sports Media that he was too good for us. We should be grateful to have such a gifted player . 

Frankly I’m indifferent to Gilmour . It was the narrative we all had to put up with that grated with me. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

He's going through a difficult spell.

Feels like the only good spell he had was next to quite possibly the world's best centre midfielder at the time, N'Golo Kante.

He's never going to have a shield like that again.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

There's no surprise he isn't getting into the Brighton squad given how well they are doing, I fail to see how he'd offer more than what's available to them. As above he's struggling due to being over hyped like Jack Wilshire was for England. There's probably a decent player in there somewhere but equally when you're young it's probably not hard to look pretty good in a decent PL team as long as you can pass sideways and backwards pretty accurately. 

So did I.

If that's your opinion then I totally respect it. 🙂

I disagree.

There is a reason 95% plus fans would agree with me, even the cohort whose dislike of McLean is as irrational as your defending of Billy Gilmour.

He was dreadful. Easily the worse player we had last season, and that's no easy achievement given how abject we were.

He was never going to make it at Brighton, as many here said when the move was announced.

• Like 1

He's never going to break up the duo of Mac allister and Caicedo. Which isn't anything to be embarrassed about, one of them is a world cup winner.

I mean it may not be something to be embarrassed about...

... but Caicedo is the same age, same position, and reportedly cost them half as much as Gilmour. Last season he was out on loan to Belgium playing for the team which finished bottom of their top tier, Gilmour was in the Premier League.

Surely that place in the sides was very much up for grabs and nobody really knew who Caicedo really was. Lets face it, Gilmour was massively overhyped by Chelsea fans and Scots. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

You are missing the point DK. This thread isn’t about Wee Billy , it’s about the stick we as a club and set of fans got for ruining the career of the next Iniesta . We were told by the Sports Media that he was too good for us. We should be grateful to have such a gifted player . 

Frankly I’m indifferent to Gilmour . It was the narrative we all had to put up with that grated with me. 

Very much this !! The bewilderment from the likes of souness who couldn't understand "why the lad would go to Norwich" before the season even started really kicked it off. 

Then talk sport "experts" questioning why he was being left out - pundits picking out 4 yard passes from wee billy as majestic plays, many of Scottish pundits and Chelsea lovers telling us how lucky such a little club as ourselves were for having this great specimen of a player. 

I even recall one game where he was absolutely dire, worst performance I've seen in a city midfielder since probably Jason Jarret arrived and yet match of the day picked him out as a stand out player in our defeat because he played one ball cross field to set up an attack and because "he always showed for the ball" 

Well showing for the ball is great, but when your playing in a CM role you should also run abit, track back, tackle (not let people jog past you with the ball) and also drive forwards. 

Unfortunately the wee one done absolutely none of all this more often than not and yet WE WERE STILL BEING TOLD HE WAS THE BEST PLAYER WE HAD! And whenever he wasn't in the starting xi the media and the Chelsea/Scotland jerk off crew were all having a collective meltdown that little ol' Norwich dared to not start one of the future ballon d'or winners 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

People are forgetting that Billy Gilmour is still eligible for the Scotland u21s. So, essentially, people are using a player who is young enough to play youth international football as a Piñata. lol

True that he is young, that's what I keep saying about Tzolis too. Should have gone on a season long loan to the Championship this season rather joining Brighton U23s.

But he's the same age as Caicedo.

And we can be pretty sure by this stage that he will never be "world class". 

19 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

And you don't think the fact that Norwich were pinning their survival hopes on a 20 year old with zero league seasonal experience might've been a red flag that all is not well with the squad?

That's the main thing that gets lost in this narrative.

None of the Norwich players covered themselves with glory last season, not the senior players with years of experience and certainly not the experienced internationals.

It was Gilmour's first season in men's football. As a 20 year old in what most deem as the best league in the world.

Taking everything into account, he did pretty well.

Absolutely NONE of us were pinning our hopes on billy Gilmour I can assure you.

Did alot of us think it was a good signing at the time and thought he could be someone to play the deadly balls to who we were actually pinning our hopes on (Teemu)? Absolutely we did... But after a couple of games we could see he wasn't going to work at all. 

The only new signings we "pinned marginal hopes on" were Normann and Kabak because those - on paper - were the 2 players we were desperate for!! 

No, none of of players did cover themselves in glory (pukki apart) however, billy was the worst of the lot!! First season in men's football? That has nothing to do with it, there's plenty of kids make their debuts in the PL and slot straight in!

If billy was as good as many thought he was he wouldn't need world class players around him to make him shine, (kante, jorginho) -  Buendia showed here, if you have the talent yourself, you elevate those around you not the other way round. 

Taking everything into account, he had one maybe two decent games and played some tidy passes but for the most part he was pony. 

I'm sure the lad will have a stellar career in the SPL with one of the only 2 teams worth a jot along with our Todd.

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 1