Graham Paddons Beard

Billy Gilmour. Out of Favour at Brighton

18 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

True that he is young, that's what I keep saying about Tzolis too. Should have gone on a season long loan to the Championship this season rather joining Brighton U23s.

But he's the same age as Caicedo.

And we can be pretty sure by this stage that he will never be "world class". 

And age shouldn't matter, if your good enough your old enough, look at Max Aarons. 

Then to more extremes look at the likes of Rooney etc. All made debuts young, didn't stop them, didn't make them wet the bed did it. 

31 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

People are forgetting that Billy Gilmour is still eligible for the Scotland u21s. So, essentially, people are using a player who is young enough to play youth international football as a Piñata. lol

Nope.

Something good comes out of a pinata in the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Billy desperately needs a loan where if he works hard he will become a crucial part of the team and squad.  Even in the championship he will need to work harder and win his tackles than he has shown at Carrow Road or at Brighton.

The comparison with Caicedo is harsh because he is so athletic, Gilmour is as good at recycling the ball but he is miles behind in other aspects of his game.

The worst thing he could do is return to Scotland where  I am certain he would do okay, and his ego would be fed without developing.  I did wonder about how he would do in Italy, it seems to be working for Winks.

Although Southgate clearly does not rate Italian football as non of the English players there have had a sniff of a call up. Tomori is the oddest one, but Winks behind Phillips also feel non sensical.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

OK, Mr Time traveller. 😉

I'll lend you my machine, then you can go back and remind yourself how absolutely shocking Billy Gilmour was.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Although Southgate clearly does not rate Italian football as non of the English players there have had a sniff of a call up. Tomori is the oddest one, but Winks behind Phillips also feel non sensical.

Does it? Winks has played 10 times for the team 19th in Serie A, obviously I'm not watching him week in week out but that doesn't scream 'call me up Gareth!'

Tomori I do agree on though- bizarre that players like Coady get in the squad on a regular basis while he doesn't.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Wait, what? You thought that he'd play killer balls? Did any Norwich fan actually see him before he moved to you?

He's a metronomic player. I know that it's not sexy, but every successful team has them. He's certainly not a player who will split a defence in two with a De Bruynesque pass. Never has been

Time will tell.

Todd isn't exactly pulling up trees up here. Contributing 2 goals in 10 matches isn't exactly stellar stuff.

The most obvious Norwich comparison for Gilmour is Leitner but we found a Leitner type player is a luxury you can't afford at the bottom of the Premier League and we aren't alone in that.

In my view he's got three options...

1. Stay as he is and hope he someone lands a role in a team that can play to his strengths in this league
  2. Move to a league with less of an emphasis on physicality (Italy seems to be the preferred suggestion, he may also do well in the Netherlands) and develop there.
  3. Work to add another dimension to his game so he can have a role for a club further down the table in England. Obviously he can't suddenly grow 6 inches but if his body type means he can't play deeper then he needs to work on playing those more cutting passes further up the pitch. 

Still wouldn't 'walk into England's midfield' mind you. 

8 hours ago, TheDarkKnight said:

So did I.

If that's your opinion then I totally respect it. 🙂

I disagree.

You watched 30 full Norwich matches last season??? I'm calling **** on that right now 🙄

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

1 - 3: Agreed.

As for the England midfield. I think he would. Same with McGregor.

Who'll be starting tonight against Italy? I assume it'll be a double pivot? Rice and who else? Surely not Phillips, as he's barely kicked a ball for Manchester City.

Behind Rice and Phillips there isn't much depth. England are definitely well stocked with attacking midfielders, but not actual playmakers.

Oh no. I'm not getting dragged into this again.

Gilmour wouldn't make the squad right now. 

7 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

You watched 30 full Norwich matches last season??? I'm calling **** on that right now 🙄

Along with 30+ full manure games for mctominey, all serie A games with Scottish players involved, all MLS games Gould played in, all games in Scotland and all games Gunny has played too 😜😂

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Manchester United and Norwich rarely played on the same day.

I didn't say all MLS matches. A handful.

All Scotland games? Yes?

Have I seen Gunn play? Maybe once or twice with Southampton. Enough to know he'll struggle at international football.

It's really not. 

3 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Manchester United and Norwich rarely played on the same day.

I didn't say all MLS matches. A handful. I saw him more in Portugal.

All Scotland games? Yes?

Have I seen Gunn play? Maybe once or twice with Southampton. Enough to know he'll struggle at international football.

I think Gunn will be fine- if I was the manager of Cyprus or similar I'd be asking my players to test him with high hanging crosses but I don't think he's a bad option. 

8 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Good thing that I don't care.

A VPN and streams are a good combination.

All EPL matches are streamed live, every weekend, if you know where to look.

So you didn't rather watch your own team? Didn't choose bigger teams over Norwich? Blimey you really do just want to shag Gilmour don't you?

Utter nonsense,  but unsurprising from the poster that gave you the opinion that Gilmour walks into the England side 🙈

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

So you didn't rather watch your own team? Didn't choose bigger teams over Norwich? Blimey you really do just want to shag Gilmour don't you?

Utter nonsense,  but unsurprising from the poster that gave you the opinion that Gilmour walks into the England side 🙈

But we only have Rice and Phillips who play there!!!! 

(We'll ignore the fact that both are vastly better than Billy) 

(We'll also forget that Bellingham gets played there too) 

(Oh and we'll also forget that skipp is currently at spuds and plays that position and is also miles better than Billy) 

• Like 1

Just now, TheDarkKnight said:

Yeah. I told you that United and Norwich played on different days.

Nah. It's just good to keep an eye on Scots playing abroad, and in England.

Fine. Take out Rice and Phillips, who plays in the deep positions in midfield for England?

Bellingham 

Gallagher 

Dier 

Henderson 

Skipp 

(All vastly superior to billy) 

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Bellingham is a no 10.

Even Southgate called him a roaming 10, akin to Gerrard.

That may be, Yet he still gets played deep to bring play forward from deep with him. 🤷

Just now, crispeduk said:

Billy Gilmour threads should be in Non Football.

Don't mention the B.G words! TDK is already here! Don't need to set the BG signal off and call him in again 😂

Just now, TheDarkKnight said:

No 10

No 10

Centerback

Not getting any younger

Not exactly experienced.

Then it's who? Longstaff?

Keep moving the goalposts just to try and shoe horn an argument for billy "walking into England's midfield" 

Just now, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Don't mention the B.G words! TDK is already here! Don't need to set the BG signal off and call him in again 😂

TDK - is that a martial art?

No. Name me a legit worl class midfielder who could fill in for Rice or Phillips.

I don't need to name a 'world class midfielder' - just one better than Billy and I've named several - even you did with longstaff 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 1

If that is what you call "depth" then good luck.

Nope, I call it players in the current England squad  better than Billy Bloody Gilmour and so he couldn't "walk into England's midfield" 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Like 1

Fekenham have a good chance to step up their challenge in their match at Newent Town Development tonight but I’m struggling for a stream, can anyone help?

4 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Fekenham have a good chance to step up their challenge in their match at Newent Town Development tonight but I’m struggling for a stream, can anyone help?

Well there must be a Jock playing for one of them? Unless he's on the bench of course.

7 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Only if someone from north of the border is playing,if not what's the point in watching? 🤷

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

No 10

No 10

Centerback

Not getting any younger

Not exactly experienced.

Then it's who? Longstaff?

According to Whoscored Bellingham has started once at number 10 all season.

Similarly Gallagher has spent most of his starts in central midfield, not as a number 10.

Dier, yeah more of a central defender at this point.

Henderson isn't getting younger but that is irrelevent to whether Gilmour would play now.

Skipp 'not exactly experienced' but has over 100 career appearences (double that of wee Billy).

11 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Doesn't mean anything. Just means that he's not playing in his best position.

Because Chelsea have better options. His first match in the middle, I think it was Leeds, he was red carded.

It's a point that Southgate has even made. The lack of depth. I'm not making it up.

Lack of Depth is one thing Darko, wee Billy walking into the England midfield is another altogether. You are not stupid enough  not to see the difference. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Doesn't mean anything. Just means that he's not playing in his best position.

Because Chelsea have better options. His first match in the middle, I think it was Leeds, he was red carded.

It's a point that Southgate has even made. The lack of depth. I'm not making it up.

No one denies a lack of depth.

It's just that lack of depth isn't enough for Billy Gilmour to theoretically get anywhere close to a reserve list for England.

• Haha 1