Sign in to follow this  
Pyro Pete

Starting XI & formation for Friday

For all those who excluded mcclean think again. Correctly first midfield name on the teamsheet.

Gunn 

Aaron's Hanley Andy O mccullam

Gibbs and mcclean

Hernandez cantwell giannoulis

Sergeant

Subs krul Gibson nunes Sara dowell idah pukki.

Bit different hehe?

Best wishes

Little Johnny Besthorpe

Gunn 

Aarons Andy O Hanley McCallum 

Gibbs McLean

Nunez Cantwell Hernandez

Pukki 

Or

Gunn 

Aarons Andy O Hanley Tomkinson McCallum

McLean

Nunez             Cantwell 

Sarge                 Pukki

Gunn

Aarons    Omobamidele   Hanley    Mccallum

Gibbs       Hayden

Nunez                   Sara              Mclean

Pukki

Subs: Cantwell & Sargent on for Sara and Pukki

- Pukki and Sargent do not naturally link up with one another

- Nunez and Sara would link up better with Pukki

- Mclean offers Mccallum protection and gives us an aerial outball on the left

- Instruct Aarons to attack and form a Buendia like partnership with Nunez

- If building from the back, get Hanley/Omo to find Gibbs to play on the half-turn before progressing. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Krul

Aarons Omob Hanley Dimi

Hayden

Nunez        Sara

Cantwell

Sargent     Pukki

This would be my team too! 💪

Krul

Aarons Omob Hanley Dimi

Hayden

Nunez        Sara

Cantwell

Sargent     Pukki

This for me, but I’d be happy to see Nunez playing the Cantwell role and McLean in, and also Gibbs ahead of Hayden as the CDM.

Starting Nunez is a must though, I want to see him rekindle that early season form.

And no more Sargent on the wing!

• Like 1

Krul

Aarons Omob Hanley Dimi

Hayden

Nunez        Sara

Cantwell

Sargent     Pukki

Indeed, I am surprised more are not predicting the return of Krul, if not now over the next few weeks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Indeed, I am surprised more are not predicting the return of Krul, if not now over the next few weeks. 

Must admit I missed that GJL had put Krul back in goal, not for me. Gunn has barely put a foot wrong since coming in.

Seems it’s getting more difficult with fewer options by the week!    

We have to bypass this midfield so some height further forward makes sense.   Also, needs some pace.. 

Gunn

Aarons Omo Hanley McCullum

Gibbs

Cantwell, Nunez and either Springett / Hernandez (pace) / McLean (air)

Idah. Pukki

Subs from… Krul, Tomlinson, Sara, Clarke, Riley, Sargent, Kamara.     Wouldn’t bother with Gibson, Giannoulis, Dowell, Hayden, Ramsey, Sinani, McLean usually (needs must), or Hugill… sadly these all need to find their level somewhere else!

I would point out that the sheer number of different permutations and formations trotted out here is part of the issue with the team at the moment. We have lots of good championship players but no good premier league players.

I think anyone who thinks any moment we have the players to rip up the championship may be on for a shock.

Edited by Ulfotto
  • Like 1

Gunn

Aarons Omabamidele Hanley McCallum

Gibbs Hayden

Hernandez  Nunez   Idah

Sargent    

Edited by Kanadyan Kanary

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Must admit I missed that GJL had put Krul back in goal, not for me. Gunn has barely put a foot wrong since coming in.

Agree about Gunn, been excellent.  The one caveat I would have is Krul's effect on defenders. He is constantly shouting, no, hollering, at his defenders and that is a good thing imo. I'm not sure Gunn does it so much, although I stand to be corrected, but Krul is a big influence on the team on the pitch and if all things being equal with him and Gunn, Krul might get my vote, just for his presence, but we are lucky to have two such good goalkeepers, top two keepers in the division imo - and we've got them both. 

• Like 1

Pretty sure it will be a safe line-up with no surprises.

I think we'll be back to 3 in midfield to make sure Carroll doesn't get many crosses and we're ready for his knock downs and lay-offs.

14 hours ago, Mr. Raumdeuter III said:

My pressing triggers and patterns of play are too data driven for this forum. Just, all I’ll say is this: get out of your seats when we’re in zone 14, yeah, and expect to expect expected goals; X2XXG

Yes! Been waiting for this approach all season. Get your application in for head coach 

Can't believe Hernandez is still in some people's team. His end product is woefully short of what is required and he hasn't been good. Big January coming up and I won't be surprised to see him together with Hugill leave. Maybe even a couple of others as well

My team

Gunn

Omabamidele Hanley Tompkinson 

Aaron's Gibbs Hayden Giannoulis

Nunez

Sara

Pukki

Can't believe folk would want Gibson out for a clearly not match fit AO . In the promotion season he was a rock with Hanley . Had some of the best stats for passing , carrying the ball forward etc etc in the division . Then City went from Farkeball to Smith/Hoof ball . All the back 4 made to look bad now . No Skipp to protect and nobody to lay the ball off to following Emis departure and Cantwell's total loss of form .

Root cause of all problems the blindingly obvious lack of a credible midfield . Meant most of last season and all of this season the defence has been keeping the score down while the forwards feed on crumbs .

Thought Gibson was outstanding vs Luton . Also responsible for the only creative move in the match .

8 hours ago, Petriix said:

It's a little depressing seeing the number of people who want to play Dowell and/or Sargent out wide. Dowell is far too slow to cover the ground required - he either plays at 10 or not at all. Sargent is basically wasted out there - he either plays up front or not at all. I'd be playing Nunez or Sara on the right.

Hopefully someone has found the cupboard they locked Cantwell in and let him out. 

I'm also fairly surprised at how many people are picking Hayden given how poor/unfit he's been. Kenny is fine as part of a double pivot. He played there for most of our two titles under Farke.

The main thing we need to do is stop the rot of conceding soft goals. So emulating the QPR game where we drew 0-0 wouldn't be terrible. A solid 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 would be my preference. 

I seem to remember Dowell playing from the right a few times and scoring a couple of great goals when Emi was out suspended. I just think he brings a bit of quality to our team, well above the level of Sinani or currently Sara.

I also think Nunez gets through a lot of work and with some structure behind him might free him up to probe and interchange with Dowell. Sargent just works and gives us an out ball if under pressure as he should be able to dominate a full back physically 

1 hour ago, Big O said:

I seem to remember Dowell playing from the right a few times and scoring a couple of great goals when Emi was out suspended. I just think he brings a bit of quality to our team.

Dowell works well wide right in a 4-2-3-1 which is dominating the ball against a deep sitting opposition where pace is less of an advantage than movement and being able to pick out the  movement of others.

Less so when he has to track back or operate in a role where his lack of pace is exposed.  I like Dowell but he is very much a horses for courses player.  I'd like to think that we could go back to an approach which would make him relevant again mind ...

Kenny walks into Alan Russell's room.

"Hey gaffer, do I call ye gaffer yet? Aye well remember when we went out on the lash in 2020...."

"Ok Kenny you start....."

Gunn

Aarons Omob Gibson McCallum

Gibbs

Nunez        Sara

Cantwell

Sargent     Pukki

Gunn 

Aarons. Omobamidele Tomkinson McCallum

Gibbs Sara 

Nunez.                Pukki.            Dowell 

Sargent 

On 28/12/2022 at 22:22, mrdi said:

4-2-3-1 PLEASE 

Krul

Aarons | Hanley | Omobamidele | Dimi 

Gibbs | Nunēz

Dowell | Pukki | Sara 

Sargent 

Dowell ?? 

Gunn

Aarons    Omobamidele   Hanley    Mccallum

Gibbs       Hayden

Nunez                   Sara              Cantwell

Sargent

Sarg to start and Pukki to come on when legs are tiring and more space to run into. Hernandez to start if Cantwell not fit

Fresh era so no sign of Mclean or Sinani 

I think it would be a VERY brave AR to leave out the boy Pukki especially after the goal he scored v Luton. Has not been the same player this season I know but it has to be a straightforward 'two up top' surely? 

Gunn

Aarons Omabamidele Hanley McCallum

Gibbs Gibson

Sargent  Nunez   ?????

Pukki   

23 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Kenny walks into Alan Russell's room.

"Hey gaffer, do I call ye gaffer yet? Aye well remember when we went out on the lash in 2020...."

"Ok Kenny you start....."

Seems true! Again ...