Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Anyone feel just a little bit sad for Watford fans?

Important quote here below, alongside others where they're not happy about having rich owners, who have given them some prem years but taken away their feeling of what their club means to them....

Sold our soul for some time at the top table, simple equation really.

I compare it loosely to being a recording artist who decides to make pop hits of whatever the in sound is at the time, a few singles will sell millions and chart, but in doing so they sacrifice having that classic album, never really establishing an identity, get any critical acclaim and don't ever build a solid, core fanbase

• Like 5

I suspect they were not feeling sorry for us when they beat us at home earlier in the season.

Their points are true for us to.

The comments about selling their soul for a seat at the top table is the flip view to getting in the rich owner.  

This should be a stark reminder to anyone who simply assumes a rich owner = what we have now but with more money...

The Pozzos have taken something I love and turned it into something repulsive. Rancid culture. Constant dealings with an individual who is accused of corruption by the authorities. Players treated as commodities who simply don’t care. Zero interest in youth development. Opaque dealings with Udinese.

I can’t stand my club now. And I despise the owners for what they have done to it. I’m close to jacking it in now. Maybe I can find a small lower league club to enthuse over but I don’t think you can really feel passionately about two clubs in a lifetime.

Shame on them.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I compare it loosely to being a recording artist who decides to make pop hits of whatever the in sound is at the time, a few singles will sell millions and chart, but in doing so they sacrifice having that classic album, never really establishing an identity, get any critical acclaim and don't ever build a solid, core fanbase

Phil Collins? 😊

• Haha 5

This is why i love having a family club and why Delia Smith is good for us.

This is also why i never understand the body of our fans who would have been over the moon if the Saudi's had bought us instead of Newcastle.
Rather League two and a soul than Premier league and classless.

• Like 16

Reading that thread was enlightening. I questioned the legitimacy of their player trading last week and it looks like the fans feel the same.

There seems to be no plan, player trading and hope a few are any good. They hire very different coaches so there isn’t really a defined style that suits the players brought in.

I had no idea they had given up on youth development and not invested in infrastructure.

They will leave the club in a pretty unsure state when they finally walk away. We might be struggling in the premiership but we’ve laid foundations for future success in the decade to come.

• Like 2

I feel very happy with the 3-0 away win & 3 points we departed with on Friday pulling us out of the bottom 3. No beef with Watford but I couldn't give 3 fuchs about their situation. Hopefully Palace will make it 3 wins in a row & we finish at least 3 places above them in just over 3 months. I like the number 3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

I had no idea they had given up on youth development and not invested in infrastructure.

I question this bit about infrastructure. I maybe wrong ( I often am) but there was significant investment in their ground a few years back. I used to go occasionally in the late 90's early 2000's and half of the ground was falling apart, and parts of it were closed because they were unsafe.

This from Wiki;

Following the acquisition of Watford FC by the Pozzo family in 2012, the club were able to finance the development of a new stand to replace the Main Stand.

Further improvements have been done subsequently.

As for any sympathy for them, na.

Getting irritated by the people who look at this as a binary issue. Having a rich foreign owner doesn't immediately mean they are a sh*thouse and that we should be grateful for what we've got. 

What's become obvious is that without external money, we're really going to struggle to ever compete in the PL. We're still favourites to go down and 2 results against very poor teams is just masking this.

With money we might improve, we might not. Without it we almost certainly are limited to where we've been last few years.

• Like 2

The easier question is who at the club don't you hate? 

They've raised the bar above this forum. 

They're now discussing which players they don't hate. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BarclayWazza said:

Getting irritated by the people who look at this as a binary issue. Having a rich foreign owner doesn't immediately mean they are a sh*thouse and that we should be grateful for what we've got. 

What's become obvious is that without external money, we're really going to struggle to ever compete in the PL. We're still favourites to go down and 2 results against very poor teams is just masking this.

With money we might improve, we might not. Without it we almost certainly are limited to where we've been last few years.

Careful... You must realise that it's either the current owners or nasty horrible other owners who will fail... Sensible investment is not an option 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paddycanary said:

I feel very happy with the 3-0 away win & 3 points we departed with on Friday pulling us out of the bottom 3. No beef with Watford but I couldn't give 3 fuchs about their situation. Hopefully Palace will make it 3 wins in a row & we finish at least 3 places above them in just over 3 months. I like the number 3.

Its a magic number

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Yet there are those on this forum who want us to go the same way. Constant attacks on the owners and the model. Maybe some of them should just switch clubs!

Not many fans on here are enamoured with the Watford way to be fair, any evidence to support this? 

But...

Watford, Burnley, Fulham, Bournemouth, QPR, Blackburn, Forest, Stoke, Sheff Utd, Swansea, Birmingham, Hull, Cardiff, Reading, Derby, Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Portsmouth...

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Miss Demeanor said:

I question this bit about infrastructure. I maybe wrong ( I often am) but there was significant investment in their ground a few years back. I used to go occasionally in the late 90's early 2000's and half of the ground was falling apart, and parts of it were closed because they were unsafe.

This from Wiki;

Following the acquisition of Watford FC by the Pozzo family in 2012, the club were able to finance the development of a new stand to replace the Main Stand.

Further improvements have been done subsequently.

As for any sympathy for them, na.

My understanding was they had to because it had been condemned. You are right they have a new stand but out of necessity. 

Oh cry me a river.

Had they been sitting mid table after having beat us with their rich owner they'd be loving it.

Point is they've signed a load of **** players.

****'em.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

My understanding was they had to because it had been condemned. You are right they have a new stand but out of necessity. 

Yeah, if their board had say real ambition Vicarage Road would be a 35,000 seat stadium now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Yeah, if their board had say real ambition Vicarage Road would be a 35,000 seat stadium now.

Exactly, it’s under 22k capacity. Considering Hertfordshire doesn’t have another equivalent sized club, seems a missed opportunity.