Sign in to follow this  
Sjb

Who thinks boxing day games will happen?

43 minutes ago, Sjb said:

Who thinks boxing day games will be off. Or at least to fans? 

I dont think so, personally think next full round of games will be new years day

I think they will be on, Covid cases at each club permitting.

Fans will be allowed in. 

It is looking as though it will be very difficult for the government to get greater restrictions through the commons now, which don't forget is now closed for Xmas and would have to be recalled to vote on any proposed restrictions.

But given 150-200 Tory MPs could vote against more restrictions it actually starts to look more difficult for further restrictions to get through. 

There is an increasing lack of appetite in parliament and in the country for more lockdowns etc. We've got our vaccines and are getting our boosters. Those were supposed to be the route out of all of this. 

• Like 1

Can't see the Covid situation improving in a week, so no games.

Cobra meeting at 5pm. I would be very surprised if we are not in lockdown by Boxing Day, as we were last Christmas.

image.png.a207acc634a589e725479cd1b77607f8.png

• Like 1

IMO the games will go ahead as there are enough days in between for most players who tested positive to recover.. 

• Like 1

As the danger period is in the winter, let's move the season into the summer. This will have the added bonus of not having to rely on cricket for entertainment during the summer months, and the other home nations not suffering the. disappointment  of failing to qualify for the World Cup 🤪

I have an idea we will be on further restrictions come Wednesday! Cobra meeting tonight at 1700! And. Sage have already stated what their expectations are!

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

IMO the games will go ahead as there are enough days in between for most players who tested positive to recover.. 

Don’t think it’s go too much to do with player availability, more like gatherings of supporters!

These games being called off are because of covid related problems within playing squads and playing behind closed doors will have no influence on the situation but having said that i can honestly see us following The Netherlands into a lockdown very soon.

I think this govt has no stomach to do a lockdown before Christmas - whether or not it’s the right thing to do is irrelevant (but it probably ought to happen) - but I can well see some tightening of rules from perhaps the 28th.  This saves face and ‘protects’ Christmas.  
As to Boxing Day games, imo those ought to be postponed but will probably be left to a match-by-match basis.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Actually getting new restrictions through the commons will be increasingly difficult from here.

100 tories rebelled just on vaccine passports. 

There’s over 600 seats in the Commons; restrictions should get through if needed.  

The point is surely this:  if we are lucky and Omicron is far less effective and doesn’t bring hospitalisation/deaths, then that’s great.  But what if it isn’t?  There’s already a shedload of cases and it’s rising fast - if we do nothing for it to turn out as previous variants it would be disastrous.  Playing roulette with hundreds of thousands of lives simply isn’t a gamble worth making.  Far better to do restrictions and find you didn’t need them than to not do them and wish you had done.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

There’s over 600 seats in the Commons; restrictions should get through if needed.  

The point is surely this:  if we are lucky and Omicron is far less effective and doesn’t bring hospitalisation/deaths, then that’s great.  But what if it isn’t?  There’s already a shedload of cases and it’s rising fast - if we do nothing for it to turn out as previous variants it would be disastrous.  Playing roulette with hundreds of thousands of lives simply isn’t a gamble worth making.  Far better to do restrictions and find you didn’t need them than to not do them and wish you had done.

If that were the only consideration then sure, fine.

But lockdowns bring with them a huge number of problems. Economically of course but also in terms of domestic abuse, reduced availability of treatments for other medical conditions, mental health deficit.

We were told the route out of all this was vaccination. The majority of people have done what was asked of them and there is increasingly a lack of appetite for further restrictions. 

The government is facing a situation where the majority of its MP's will oppose further restrictions, and they will only have a chance to get anything through with significant labour support. It's not a position that Bozo will want be in.

• Like 1

The greed of the Premier League means games will go ahead, haven’t they already said if a team has 14 fit players they will be required to play. The only saving grace will be if someone other than the money men make a decision to benefit the health and safety of players and fans.

38 minutes ago, Beefy is a legend said:

If that were the only consideration then sure, fine.

But lockdowns bring with them a huge number of problems. Economically of course but also in terms of domestic abuse, reduced availability of treatments for other medical conditions, mental health deficit.

We were told the route out of all this was vaccination. The majority of people have done what was asked of them and there is increasingly a lack of appetite for further restrictions. 

The government is facing a situation where the majority of its MP's will oppose further restrictions, and they will only have a chance to get anything through with significant labour support. It's not a position that Bozo will want be in.

Spot on. The government will not want to bring in further restrictions, that’s why they are so desperate for the booster program to be a success and slow the hospitalisations if at all possible. 

Can genuinely see the end of Johnson as PM in the not too distant if the rebels continue.

• Like 1

I see a full on lockdown as unlikely as they will have to bring in the furlough scheme again and the simple fact is they can't afford it. They may bring in tighter restrictions, but doubtful a full on lockdown again. For a start I don't think people will go for it like they did last year. 

• Like 1

There will be enormous pressure on the Premier League from clubs to come up today (Monday) with some kind of rational and clearly-defined system to determine whether matches should go ahead, as opposed to the current baffling and seemingly contradictory hotch_potch. If the EPL can't announce that for the next round of matches then I believe the clubs will force a break on the EPL until it does so.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sjb said:

Who thinks boxing day games will be off. Or at least to fans? 

I'll just be happy if boxing day happens at all, let alone sport played on it. I'm expecting the Queens speech to announce the rest of Christmas has been cancelled because she got a cough.