unique

Pierre Lees Melou

5 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Elite sports people can avoid isolation periods I believe - the rules keep changing so hard to know the latest, but it is why teams for the Euros didn't need to isolate before games, or tennis players at Wimbledon. 

I think Rashica is in isolation now.

1 hour ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

I think Rashica is in isolation now.

He was seen in the changing room in one of the players Instagram videos. If he was suppose to be isolating and was hanging out in the changing room, Norwich City are very naughty boys. 

23 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Just a meaningless list of names to me, but looking at the Premier League squads these are probably the only players from other Premier League squads who might be loanable. Not sure any of them are ready made or better than what we have already

Pablo Moreno - Man City

Taiwo Awoniyi - Liverpool

Patson Daka - Leicester

Eddie Nketiah - Arsenal

Keinan Davis - Villa

Few listed forwards at Wolves Patrick Cutrone, Leonardo Campana, Renat Dadashov

Michael Obafemi, Dan Nlundunu - Southampton

Joe Gelhardt, Tyler Roberts - Leeds

Tyler Roberts could be one we look to buy... he's clear 2nd/3rd choice at Leeds, works hard but not the most reliable to score goals. I suspect they'd be open to sell for around £10m max as well.

42 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He was seen in the changing room in one of the players Instagram videos. If he was suppose to be isolating and was hanging out in the changing room, Norwich City are very naughty boys. 

He surely had been here longer than the 5 days needed for test and release, wasn’t that photo of him landing in Norwich 2 weeks ago?

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Not isolation - quarantine... If you look up the quarantine rules... they are, erm, the opposite of water tight. I think it suggests you can leave your house for essentials, which signing the particulars could class as along with posing for a couple of publicity shots. I think it is 14 10 days as well.

So that sort of all fits IMHO. 

Edited by chicken

8 hours ago, birchfest said:

He surely had been here longer than the 5 days needed for test and release, wasn’t that photo of him landing in Norwich 2 weeks ago?

He landed in England on the 3rd July and the video in which he was spotted was on the 7th July (it was the video where Hugill and Cantwell were signing England songs at Sorenson on the day of the Denmark semi final). 

Rashcia came in from Germany so if he was to follow the quarantine rules he’d have to be in isolation for 10 days (although could shorten this to 5 if he got a negative test result on day 2 and day 5). 

I don’t know the isolation rules for elite sports people, or if a player arriving for pre-season counts in and exemptions. He certainly wouldn’t need to be still isolating now, unless he returned a positive result recently of course. 

7 hours ago, chicken said:

Not isolation - quarantine... If you look up the quarantine rules... they are, erm, the opposite of water tight. I think it suggests you can leave your house for essentials, which signing the particulars could class as along with posing for a couple of publicity shots. I think it is 14 10 days as well.

So that sort of all fits IMHO. 

Government guidance is you can only leave where you are quarantining in an emergency, not to go to work. Signing contracts would not count (and he’d have done that in Germany already anyway).

Whatever the case - he doesn’t need to be quarantining now - so his absence from training photos/videos is for another reason. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green

11 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Given when we signed him he must have completed his 10 days then. Your investigations are very thorough and productive Bethnal!

Edited by Yelloow Since 72

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He landed in England on the 3rd July and the video in which he was spotted was on the 7th July (it was the video where Hugill and Cantwell were signing England songs at Sorenson on the day of the Denmark semi final). 

Rashcia came in from Germany so if he was to follow the quarantine rules he’d have to be in isolation for 10 days (although could shorten this to 5 if he got a negative test result on day 2 and day 5). 

I don’t know the isolation rules for elite sports people, or if a player arriving for pre-season counts in and exemptions. He certainly wouldn’t need to be still isolating now, unless he returned a positive result recently of course. 

Government guidance is you can only leave where you are quarantining in an emergency, not to go to work. Signing contracts would not count (and he’d have done that in Germany already anyway).

Whatever the case - he doesn’t need to be quarantining now - so his absence from training photos/videos is for another reason. 

Fitness based maybe? 

Interesting article on the pinkun about the influence influence Pierre at Nice and how he could adapt very well to the Premier league.

Built in the Kenny role and noted competition for him but more importantly a wise head to guide a team in those last 20 minutes or so.

I think that is what I understand from all the reports a great first team squad player who can guide this team and has seen it all before. We need players who can calm situations down, lead and come off the bench and perform. We cannot afford a deep step down from a first team player to the bench. All have to be oven ready.

I am impressed that this signing has gone through with the note that you will challenge and play a part but maybe not a starter. As we look for that defensive midfielder.

Our midfield group can look very good with Gilmour, Lungi, rupp, McLean, Pierre and a new signing.

Agree on this  A strong  CDM, forward to challenge Pukki and another CH. Convinced we are going to be more flexible this season in our approach and can see the pace of Placheta and Hernandez being used in some games

I think Dowell may have a break out season for some reason. Just an inkling

• Like 1

Current squad not looking too bad

-----------------------------------Krul-----------------------------------

----------------------------------Gunn----------------------------------

Aarons          Hanley                 Gibson             Giannoulis

Mumba    Zimmermann     Omabamidele       Byram

---------------------Gilmour         Lees-Melou-------------------

------------------------Rupp              Sorenson--------------------

-----Rashica                   Dowell                    Cantwell----

-----Hernandez             McLean                  Placheta-----

------------------------------------Pukki---------------------------------

-------------------------------------Idah------------------------------

https://theathletic.com/2704528/202...that-will-give-norwich-drive-and-flexibility/

Michael Bailey Athletic article on Lees-Melou:

• Farke was very keen on him, club thought he'd be beyond their budget.
  • Club keen to establish a track record of signings from France working out. It could be an important market given Ligue 1's financial issues.
  • Norwich see him as a player who can fulfil a number of roles on the pitch and that he will be able and likely to pop up anywhere.
  • Tactical changes may mean we play without a 10 (not clear if that would be main or secondary tactic)
  • Norwich’s search for a third midfield recruit this summer continues, to find a DM.
  • Lees-Melou is closer to a hybrid of Kenny McLean’s athleticism and Mario Vrancic’s technical ability. A No 8 that can cover the ground and a character that will bark at young players in training if they’re not pulling their weight.

On formations and tactical changes:

Our 4-2-3-1 didn't suit Onel or Placheta, and currently an attacking midfield trio of Cantwell, Dowell, Rashica has basically no high quality backup. Whilst in the deeper areas, it'd have to be Gilmour (probably guaranteed minutes) + a DM who we haven't signed yet. That makes PLM, McLean, Rupp periphery figures. The squad balance wouldn't make much sense.

Based on recruits so far, a 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 seems more likely as it fits far more of our squad and squad building. Without a 10, it made sense to move Stiepermann and Vrancic on. Rashica, Placheta, Onel seem to offer a similar inside forward/winger option, with Cantwell/Dowell competing for the second attacking midfield role. Cantwell + Dowell might suit more patient buildup at home, Rashica + Onel/Placheta could be a counter-attacking combination.

The midfield 3 will probably be Gilmour + DM + PLM/McLean/Rupp/Sorensen, but there's versatility there if needed. That midfield balance can be tuned, and other than the lack of first choice DM, there's cover now for the other midfield berths.

A 3 CB system would probably mean we need 6 CBs, especially given the injury record of Zimmerman+Hanley, and Omobamidele's youthfulness. With Famewo also leaving, it looks like we're going to settle for 4 senior CBs + Omobamidele, which feels about right for a 2 CB system.

Edited by Yelloow Since 72
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Fitness based maybe? 

Yeah, he could have an injury which means he can’t do full training, or he might have had a positive test since arriving in the UK which would mean he needs to isolate. Saw a suggestion that he is waiting on his work permit to be cleared (although if that is the case he shouldn’t have been in the changing room on the 3rd July, so seems unlikely). 

It could be he’s in full training and the club just aren’t showing any pictures to annoy all the people who reply ‘Rashcia’ to every post! 

On 15/07/2021 at 09:55, Yelloow Since 72 said:

https://theathletic.com/2704528/202...that-will-give-norwich-drive-and-flexibility/

Michael Bailey Athletic article on Lees-Melou:

• Farke was very keen on him, club thought he'd be beyond their budget.
  • Club keen to establish a track record of signings from France working out. It could be an important market given Ligue 1's financial issues.
  • Norwich see him as a player who can fulfil a number of roles on the pitch and that he will be able and likely to pop up anywhere.
  • Tactical changes may mean we play without a 10 (not clear if that would be main or secondary tactic)
  • Norwich’s search for a third midfield recruit this summer continues, to find a DM.
  • Lees-Melou is closer to a hybrid of Kenny McLean’s athleticism and Mario Vrancic’s technical ability. A No 8 that can cover the ground and a character that will bark at young players in training if they’re not pulling their weight.

On formations and tactical changes:

Our 4-2-3-1 didn't suit Onel or Placheta, and currently an attacking midfield trio of Cantwell, Dowell, Rashica has basically no high quality backup. Whilst in the deeper areas, it'd have to be Gilmour (probably guaranteed minutes) + a DM who we haven't signed yet. That makes PLM, McLean, Rupp periphery figures. The squad balance wouldn't make much sense.

Based on recruits so far, a 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 seems more likely as it fits far more of our squad and squad building. Without a 10, it made sense to move Stiepermann and Vrancic on. Rashica, Placheta, Onel seem to offer a similar inside forward/winger option, with Cantwell/Dowell competing for the second attacking midfield role. Cantwell + Dowell might suit more patient buildup at home, Rashica + Onel/Placheta could be a counter-attacking combination.

The midfield 3 will probably be Gilmour + DM + PLM/McLean/Rupp/Sorensen, but there's versatility there if needed. That midfield balance can be tuned, and other than the lack of first choice DM, there's cover now for the other midfield berths.

A 3 CB system would probably mean we need 6 CBs, especially given the injury record of Zimmerman+Hanley, and Omobamidele's youthfulness. With Famewo also leaving, it looks like we're going to settle for 4 senior CBs + Omobamidele, which feels about right for a 2 CB system.

What I have been saying to folks suggesting a three at the back system - though it is a bit worrying that he has put Sorensen in the same bracket as PLM/McLean/Rupp as very clearly Sorensen is a DM and can play CB. So potentially, sign another CB and we do have six that can play that role. Especially as it very much suits bringing through an inexperienced CB who will be well supported and guided by two experienced CB's. Which goes against what I said I know... still. To early to be sure atm.

Could it be that we play 3 at the back when we have 3 available and 2 when we don't? Isn't Farke all about switching systems - like Italy did to bamboozle Southgate?

I appreciate it only a friendly, but Melou is something special. His passing range is brilliant & he doesn't duck out of his defensive duties either. If this performance is anything to go by, then we have got ourselves a diamond. 

• Like 1

Think he's looked really good today. 

Rashica, on the other hand... Umm... Not really sure what he offers us at the moment. Fingers crossed it's just rustiness/getting used to physicality. Probably too early to judge 

1 hour ago, Top corner said:

I appreciate it only a friendly, but Melou is something special. His passing range is brilliant & he doesn't duck out of his defensive duties either. If this performance is anything to go by, then we have got ourselves a diamond. 

He has a bit of an 'overall' midfielder perfect for Farke's style of play about him. Yes, he's technically very good on the ball, as are pretty much all our midfielders.

But it's clear he has a very good engine, a decent amount of physicality and not afraid of a tackle. And, he's fairly tall.

51 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Melou gets his revenge on O'Brian after copping for one five minutes ago.

Not going to get bullied. Good lad.

Not sure O'Brien expected that, the look of shock on his face when he was on the floor.

Loved seeing that from Lee Is Mellow

25 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Not sure O'Brien expected that, the look of shock on his face when he was on the floor.

Loved seeing that from Lee Is Mellow

Best bit was him screaming as loudly as he could and rolling around.. Only for then to whisper 'I'm alright' when one of the Huddersfield players tried helping him up

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Best bit was him screaming as loudly as he could and rolling around.. Only for then to whisper 'I'm alright' when one of the Huddersfield players tried helping him up

I liked the fact that you could hear the conversation between the ref and O'Brien following the foul.

Ref: "Can we leave it at one all now?"

O'Brien: "I think his was a bit worse than mine"

Ref: "It was. I'll give you that, I'll give you that, so I'm gonna let you have half a point alright?" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I liked the fact that you could hear the conversation between the ref and O'Brien following the foul.

Ref: "Can we leave it at one all now?"

O'Brien: "I think his was a bit worse than mine"

Ref: "It was. I'll give you that, I'll give you that, so I'm gonna let you have half a point alright?" 

Ref had an excellent game, I thought. Handled that perfectly for a pre-season friendly.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Didn't hear that, that's brilliant.

20 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Think he's looked really good today. 

Rashica, on the other hand... Umm... Not really sure what he offers us at the moment. Fingers crossed it's just rustiness/getting used to physicality. Probably too early to judge 

I don't think we'll see what Rashica is really about until we play a counter-attacking style against PL opponents. The pre-season games, even Newcastle, won't really give us that. He needs to use his pace and trickery to beat defenders and get in behind, whereas Lees-Melou is well suited to playing against sides like Huddersfield. That said, he still put in an amazing shift for this early in pre-season.

On 23/07/2021 at 14:58, Hank shoots Skyler said:

There's no 'probably' about it...

True... True