unique

Pierre Lees Melou

I will be massively surprised if any City fan can give a heads-up on this guy.

Aged 28 and only 191 appearances.

Late developer?

Looks like he was playing 5th tier football until about 5 years ago but had a quick rise and has had a good top division career ever since. 30 games a year in League 1 isn't too bad.

30 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Looks like he was playing 5th tier football until about 5 years ago but had a quick rise and has had a good top division career ever since. 30 games a year in League 1 isn't too bad.

And if anyone want's to say that's a bad thing look at Vardy. Being a late bloomer in football is not always a bad sign

vardy.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unique said:

I will be massively surprised if any City fan can give a heads-up on this guy.

Aged 28 and only 191 appearances.

Late developer?

Incorrect.

119 appearances for Nice over 4 seasons AND 32 appearances for Dijon in one season. So essentially, 30ish games per season for five seasons in the French top flight. That puts him back to 23.

The season before that he made 16 appearances for Dijon in League 2. At which point we are up to 151 L1, and 16 L2.

Then he played for Dijon 2 and another team in the NA3(conference equivalent I think). 7 for Dijon 2 in the same season as the L2 campaign, prior to that 50 appearances in two seasons at the same level for US Lege Cap Ferret.

So his career total is actually over 220 appearances of which 151 were in the top division in France over 5 seasons. That is not bad. Not to mention he has a one goal in every five appearances ratio for Nice.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

He’s 6ft 1 tall, which is a decent size. 

I was out by 1"... lets just say over 6'... 😉

Edit: Ooops - on the other thread. Ignore me. Sooooo many threads...

Edited by chicken

I was a season ticket holder at OGC Nice for several seasons until recently, where Lees-Melou was one of my favourites. I would say he is quite a cultured player and should fit into City’s style pretty well. The big question mark is how he will adapt to the premier league. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, French Green said:

I was a season ticket holder at OGC Nice for several seasons until recently, where Lees-Melou was one of my favourites. I would say he is quite a cultured player and should fit into City’s style pretty well. The big question mark is how he will adapt to the premier league. 

Thanks for that, really good to hear from someone who has first hand knowledge of him 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, French Green said:

So we can all get it right, how do we say his name?

Is it Lee is Mellow 🤔😬

The online feedback on him is limited but seems to be split between those fans who really like him and those who thing he’s hit his top level and may struggle in the premier league. 

53 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

So we can all get it right, how do we say his name?

Is it Lee is Mellow 🤔😬

Les mel-oo

An interesting selection, but then we probably thought the same when we signed players like Buendia, Rupp and McLean for example. They obviously think he can work well in our system, and if anything with 3 players leaving we need to bring in some decent players just for numbers as much as anything

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Doesn't seem to score many goals for an attacking midfielder, so hope at least he creates a lot of chances.

He's not an attacking midfielder, played as the left sided central midfielder in a 4-3-3.

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

An interesting selection, but then we probably thought the same when we signed players like Buendia, Rupp and McLean for example. They obviously think he can work well in our system, and if anything with 3 players leaving we need to bring in some decent players just for numbers as much as anything

Rupp has hardly been a success has he, one spell where he has looked good but it was for half a dozen games in the second tier.

Although your wider point is valid, I'd never heard of Vrancic and to this day he still only has 6 Bosnia caps! 

9 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He's not an attacking midfielder, played as the left sided central midfielder in a 4-3-3.

Good news, Vrancic replacement then I'll assume, deeper playmaker? Or box-to-box alongside a ball winner?

Still think we need another attacking midfielder.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Good news, Vrancic replacement then I'll assume, deeper playmaker?

Still think we need another attacking midfielder.

Very different to Vrancic.

Lees-Melou doesn't have his expansive passing range, although his short game is good. He is a classic No.8, bags of energy and covers every blade of grass on the pitch. Very similar to Kenny McLean so adds competition there and allows Norwich to go to a 4-3-3 if desired. 

19 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He's listed as an attacking midfielder on at least 2-3 football stats sites that I have looked at. Certainly not a DM. And you then compare him to McLean who largely played AM before coming to us and has been deployed in that roll in games, even in the No.10 role.

1 goal in 5-6 games isn't bad for an AM. Not great, but Buendia has a very similar strike ratio for us.

Edited by chicken

On the offical Twitter now, confirmed 

Amazing business from Webber if the price is true, 3-4 million for a solid midfielder is nothing to sniff at when, once again, you get players like Ajer being refused to leave for less than 20 million

• Like 1

I get the sense the club has been slightly rushed into announcing this due to the fact they've just put out a picture of him in his Nice shirt rather than with the usual photoshoot/video. 

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

On the offical Twitter now, confirmed 

Amazing business from Webber if the price is true, 3-4 million for a solid midfielder is nothing to sniff at when, once again, you get players like Ajer being refused to leave for less than 20 million

Agreed - seems to fit the bill of possessing bigger physical attributes (height, strength, stamina), a good age and price, and has played a lot of games in the French top flight - good competition for places in that CM position with LM, McLean, Gilmour, Rupp, and Sorenson

OTBC

Just now, king canary said:

I get the sense the club has been slightly rushed into announcing this due to the fact they've just put out a picture of him in his Nice shirt rather than with the usual photoshoot/video. 

Tbf Rashica didn't have and still doesn't have any photos in Norwich kit

Cheap and never heard of him. How about signing a midfielder with premier league experience who isn’t a gamble? 

Just now, Uncle Fred said:

Cheap and never heard of him. How about signing a midfielder with premier league experience who isn’t a gamble? 

Jay Spearing?

• Haha 2