unique

Pierre Lees Melou

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That isn’t Lees-Melou, it’s Christopher John - one of the first team coaches at Norwich. 

Lol I have just told him what a numpty he is thanks B 

Personally I agree with the comment that if someone gives us our £5m back for Hugill we should take it. Though the pro-Hugill stuff from Farke I read a few weeks ago means I wouldnt be surprised if they have plans to keep him.

If it were me I would sell however, I dont think he is Premier League standard. 

Idah could well do a Cantwell and raise his game to a level we didnt expect. Hard to do from the bench though.

I think our best bet for a quality striker would be the loan route. I dont think we could afford to buy a player already of Premier League standard, when even Championship players, untested in the Prem have £20m valuations. 

Someone blocked by established players at a top club in need of game time however, for instance, the forward version of Gilmour, might be attainable.

I wonder if Tammy Abraham might be an option? Doenst seem to have had a look in at Chelsea since Tuchel came on board and Tuchel and Farke's friendship could bear fruit again? Abraham would give us a very different option to Pukki and Idah

• Like 1

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

Personally I agree with the comment that if someone gives us our £5m back for Hugill we should take it. Though the pro-Hugill stuff from Farke I read a few weeks ago means I wouldnt be surprised if they have plans to keep him.

If it were me I would sell however, I dont think he is Premier League standard. 

Idah could well do a Cantwell and raise his game to a level we didnt expect. Hard to do from the bench though.

I think our best bet for a quality striker would be the loan route. I dont think we could afford to buy a player already of Premier League standard, when even Championship players, untested in the Prem have £20m valuations. 

Someone blocked by established players at a top club in need of game time however, for instance, the forward version of Gilmour, might be attainable.

I wonder if Tammy Abraham might be an option? Doenst seem to have had a look in at Chelsea since Tuchel came on board and Tuchel and Farke's friendship could bear fruit again? Abraham would give us a very different option to Pukki and Idah

Wouldn't work for the same reason as Guehi for the defence - you can only loan one player from a Premier League team, not two at once from the same Premier League team. @king canary and @Bethnal Yellow and Green pointed this out to me earlier on today.

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Wouldn't work for the same reason as Guehi for the defence - you can only loan one player from a Premier League team, not two at once from the same Premier League team. @king canary and @Bethnal Yellow and Green pointed this out to me earlier on today.

****. Better hope between them they know someone languishing at Dortmund then!

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Can't we sign Phil Salt, he's a great striker.

Currently hitting the Pakistani attack all over the place.

Blast!

'Worth his salt'

'Salt Peppers the Pakistani bowlers all round Egbaston'

Etc etc 

Just a meaningless list of names to me, but looking at the Premier League squads these are probably the only players from other Premier League squads who might be loanable. Not sure any of them are ready made or better than what we have already

Pablo Moreno - Man City

Taiwo Awoniyi - Liverpool

Patson Daka - Leicester

Eddie Nketiah - Arsenal

Keinan Davis - Villa

Few listed forwards at Wolves Patrick Cutrone, Leonardo Campana, Renat Dadashov

Michael Obafemi, Dan Nlundunu - Southampton

Joe Gelhardt, Tyler Roberts - Leeds

Leicester aren't about to loan out Patson Daka having just signed him at great cost and a lot of money. Suspect he's going to be the long term replacement for Vardy. 

9 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

All the noise coming out of the club atm suggests they see Idah as a genuine first team option this season. 

Yeah they've assured Idah of his place from day one and nearly every article on here says the same. They're trying to give the lad the confidence he needs.

Likewise Hugill, has been stated he is available and I 100% expect him to be moved on, even if it means paying some of his wages.

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He needs a full season of starting games somewhere, otherwise he's at risk of regressing. 

I'd keep Hugill for one more season for that reason, with the hope that Idah comes back ready for a proper breakthrough here.

So keep Hugill or snap someone’s hands off for £5m? 

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

A reason why we didn't score enough goals last time was because we had three centre-halves out missing for most of it and defensive midfielders stepping into the centre of defence. It meant we had to totally change how we played and be more cautious, which we couldn't do with that team. The primary lesson we should take from that is make sure the spine of the team has enough back-up, so goal, central defence and central midfield. I'd say we're one centre-half light and one more defensive midfielder light.

Get that nailed down, and attacking will be somewhat easier as the team will be far better balanced. Cantwell's proven at this level, Rashica should be promising, Pukki's done well at this level hitting double figures despite a bust toe for a fair chunk of it.

I think some of us are noting how we struggled in the Premier League last time, which is a perfectly reasonable starting point, but forgetting how badly hamstrung we were for so much of it and the effect losing three centre-halves at once can have on the rest of the team.

A m e n.

I'd also add that xG's considered, Teemu (and Todd) did ok 19/20 and the rest of the squad badly underperformed.

Teemu scores from inside the box. That is the key. He can't dribble half the field to get there. Someone needs to pass him the ball. Can't do that if you keep losing the ball in your own half of the court.

Solidify defense and low midfield. Have a solid 2nd striker to relieve Teemu so he doesn't burn out. Not sure Idah is up to the task yet. Adam Armstrong could potentially be long term replacement for Teemu. Worth £15-20M? I don't know. At £12M or so it is a no brainer to me. 

Do things right and we could be out of relegation competition by November and never look back.

8 hours ago, Upo said:

A m e n.

I'd also add that xG's considered, Teemu (and Todd) did ok 19/20 and the rest of the squad badly underperformed.

Teemu scores from inside the box. That is the key. He can't dribble half the field to get there. Someone needs to pass him the ball. Can't do that if you keep losing the ball in your own half of the court.

Solidify defense and low midfield. Have a solid 2nd striker to relieve Teemu so he doesn't burn out. Not sure Idah is up to the task yet. Adam Armstrong could potentially be long term replacement for Teemu. Worth £15-20M? I don't know. At £12M or so it is a no brainer to me. 

Do things right and we could be out of relegation competition by November and never look back.

In all likelihood, even if things go pretty well, we're going to be tap-dancing near the trapdoor for most of the season. Cases like Sheffield United's first season and Leeds returning are relatively rare. Villa needed VAR to balls it in order to stay up despite lashing out nine figures on squad improvements.

Where I would be confident is our ability to recruit and develop players to stay there a while if we can survive the first season.

12 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

So keep Hugill or snap someone’s hands off for £5m? 

I'd sign another striker, and upon doing that I'd probably plan to loan out Idah to see if he can kick on with regular football.

But being a pragmatic chap I'd change that plan if somebody was willing to make a silly offer for Hugill, and keep Idah around as the third striker.

Everything have to be black and white with you?

In the real world nobody is giving us back our £5m for Hugill in this financial climate, so I'd be geared towards getting a season out of him as a bit part player a la Wilbraham, to free up Idah to get regular football at MK Dons or Shrewsbury or somewhere, with Idah hopefully coming back a more distinguished and refined player who could offer us more at first team level, like Godfrey did after a season long loan.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

If Hugill does leave I doubt it will be for £5m, we’ll do well to get £3m

A loss then as our promotion bumped the fee from £2.5m to £5m I think?

So we'd only want to accept £3m if it were a team with a chance of promotion, with a similar clause to take the fee to £5m if they get promoted?

I can't see a team like that being interested really, although he has now been promoted twice from the Championship with two sides so who knows! 

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

So we'd only want to accept £3m if it were a team with a chance of promotion, with a similar clause to take the fee to £5m if they get promoted?

I can't see a team like that being interested really, although he has now been promoted twice from the Championship with two sides so who knows! 

My comment was based on the link with Forest, I can’t see them giving us anywhere near £5m. Only other option would be a loan

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'd sign another striker, and upon doing that I'd probably plan to loan out Idah to see if he can kick on with regular football.

But being a pragmatic chap I'd change that plan if somebody was willing to make a silly offer for Hugill, and keep Idah around as the third striker.

Everything have to be black and white with you?

In the real world nobody is giving us back our £5m for Hugill in this financial climate, so I'd be geared towards getting a season out of him as a bit part player a la Wilbraham, to free up Idah to get regular football at MK Dons or Shrewsbury or somewhere.

There's no Idah 'or' Hugill.    Plainly Hugill isn't an EPL option at all since he doesn't have the skillset.   Idah is a forward option now and has potential to be a very good asset.    Hugill isn't a playable option and has no potential in the short or long-term whether we are in this league or the Championship if the aim is to be in this league!

A loan could be ideal for Idah, but for that to happen we would need two forwards through the door and i can't see that happening with other priorities.

4 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

My comment was based on the link with Forest, I can’t see them giving us anywhere near £5m. Only other option would be a loan

I'd only sell if we bring somebody in first.

But if we do decide to sell then yeah, £2m to £3m or something I suspect. 

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Disappointed we couldn't scout something better for that initial outlay in the first place.

5 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

There's no Idah 'or' Hugill.    Plainly Hugill isn't an EPL option at all since he doesn't have the skillset. 

Why on earth buy him and give him a three year deal then, as a team targeting promotion.

And if he's been bought specifically for the league below, then the logical decision would be to loan him out in case we need him again next season. 

Remember who you support though, and our modern history, as things stand our highest position with a Farke team is 20th in the top tier, and we've all sat and watched as a front four of Holt, Morrison, Jackson and Wilbraham took us to 11th in the league. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

5 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Disappointed we couldn't scout something better for that initial outlay in the first place.

Perhaps we didn't see the best of him.

9 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Not sure we could have scouted something better than a player with one of the best goals to minutes ratios in the division. 

I jest slightly as a pretty distorted figure, but whenever we had to rely upon him he generally delivered everything his game is about.

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Why on earth buy him and give him a three year deal then, as a team targeting promotion.

And if he's been bought specifically for the league below, then the logical decision would be to loan him out in case we need him again next season. 

Remember who you support though, and our modern history, as things stand our highest position with a Farke team is 20th in the top tier, and we've all sat and watched as a front four of Holt, Morrison, Jackson and Wilbraham took us to 11th in the league. 

I can't answer that question.    I have no idea what we saw in Hugill that fitted any style of our play..... but once he was in the door, it was pretty uncomfortable viewing watching him struggle to adapt, concede foul after foul and generally look awkward up there!   

If he was bought for the Championship, pretty sure Daniel realised early doors that he wasn't an option for many minutes.    Lets face it, had Pukki got injured for any specific time, we wouldn't be playing Liverpool next month!  

9 minutes ago, horsefly said:

It would be a touch ironic if a player with maybe a touch underwhelming highlight reel turns out to be our bargain buy! If Alain Saint Maximin, who spent two seasons with him, rates him then I’d say that’s a fantastic glowing endorsement!

Interesting to point out that the article says PLM is expected to travel here later in the week..so that puts paid to any notions of him being at Palace or the City roof top or Morrisons.

33 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Interesting to point out that the article says PLM is expected to travel here later in the week..so that puts paid to any notions of him being at Palace or the City roof top or Morrisons.

If that's the case and he has to quarentine 10 days, could be a while before he can train with the squad?

24 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If that's the case and he has to quarentine 10 days, could be a while before he can train with the squad?

Elite sports people can avoid isolation periods I believe - the rules keep changing so hard to know the latest, but it is why teams for the Euros didn't need to isolate before games, or tennis players at Wimbledon. 

36 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

Most sites seem to think he was on about £8k per week at Nice, there are people earning that in League Two...really happy with this signing.

https://soccerprime.com/ogc-nice-player-salaries/

If he really was earning about £8k pw, that would be great as I can’t see us paying him anymore than £14k pw