Greavsy

Lewis to Newcastle for £13.5M according to mirror.

59 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah we shouldn't kid ourselves. Newcastle is a good forward step for Jamal.

Disagree. They are relegation fodder. They were a poor side last season but somehow managed to spawn enough results to finish mid table, with their keeper keeping them in most games. That won’t happen two seasons in a row.

id hold out for Palace or someone better if I was Jamal. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Why wade your way through 58 pages of history to get to the comments you’re interested in? 

Have you tried going to the last page to see the most recents posts?

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Disagree. They are relegation fodder. They were a poor side last season but somehow managed to spawn enough results to finish mid table, with their keeper keeping them in most games. That won’t happen two seasons in a row.

You’d pick Palace over Newcastle? To be fair they never looked in any danger of relegation from November onwards. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Normally the player has little to no say if the clubs agree a fee. Plus I feel there are not as many clubs after him as some may feel, so he cannot over play his hand. 

I hear what you are saying re: Newcastle, but hopefully they will get taken over with investment to boot. It is a big step up which ever way you look at it. 

4 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

OK, thanks.

Have you seen the thread that's dedicated to transfers, it's called Official Transfer Rumour Thread?

😀

Who decided that was the official thread for transfers? 

Major news like this is worthy of it’s own thread if only to escape from all the rumours and speculation. Thanks for posting it up Greavsy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Thanks for the explanation - but no need for the unpleasantness.

You may not rate him but Lewis is very highly regarded and has often been singled out as our key man - interesting that you pick out Aarons who clearly struggled in the early stages of our campaign and only came good later on (which I felt Lewis did too overall). In fact all of our golden 5 went through peaks and troughs, Buendia was anonymous or poor in plenty of games, Godfrey had a few stinkers, as did Cantwell. I think it’s common nature for youngsters in a new league playing for an unfortunately ****e team.

Maybe Cash is the better player, but usually a season of prem football will bolster a fee whereas there is still some degree of risk in not knowing how the step up will be received for the former. 

I also think it’s a valid point that we are probably not able to extract a bigger fee from Newcastle than we are Villa - is it not?

I'm not sure which part of my post was unpleasant? 

I don't really get where this "a season of Prem football will bolster a fee" thing that everybody keeps repeating has come from. 

Is there any research on that? 

Surely the opposite can also be the case, when a player shows themselves not good enough. 

If anything the values people on here have been throwing around for our players this summer are lower than people were talking about last summer before we'd kicked a ball. I guess finishing rock bottom and losing 10 in a row will do that. Don't see anybody throwing around £30m or £50m for Ben Godfrey now do we? 

Trybull played 16 Prem games, Drmic 21 games, values gone up? Doubt it. 

RE: Max Aarons, well if you think Cash being 5 months older is relevant then Aarons being THREE YEARS younger than Lewis certainly is! Aarons the same age as Sessegnon who can't get a game at Spurs yet, his fee was £25m.

But I personally think Sessegnon (available for loan) and Rico Henry are better than Lewis, and who knows what talent exists in other countries, have to factor that in when working out the Lewis value..... Notice Leicester didn't move for Lewis as the Chilwell replacement, be interested in seeing who they move for, been linked to Henry in the past. 

I actually thought we looked stronger at the back with Bryan playing on the left. Perhaps not going forward, but more solid defensively.  

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

I've been banging on for weeks that in the current covid environment £20M was never going to be achieved.  In my view £15M was going to be the real figure and if Michael Bailey is right the initial fee is only £250K shy. 

Recent recruitment of McCallum always signaled Jamal was highest on list to be released.  In some ways his style of play is most orthodox c.f. the other "jewels" who will not slip easily into other squads as Lewis will.  

No surprises at all with this.

Edit: mispelling

misspelling!! * 😉

Although  a lot of media  sources say City  have accepted a bid for Lewis, the Pink 'Un  said City have not accepted a bid yet, but that the clubs are in talks and hope to negotiate an agreement in the coming days.

But in anycase, if the rumours spreading  about around 14 mill plus  add ons plus a sell on fee for Lewis are somewhere near the mark, that is a significant amount  in these Covid related times. Add to the fact that as other posters have said, we  got McCallum back in Jan. and also Quintilla recently i see it as a huge win win for City.

I have no thoughts on whether a move to Newcastle is good or not for Jamal's career, i just wish the guy well for the future  if the move is finalised in the  coming days.

16 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I honestly think this deal if it happens is the classic over everyone is a winner. Norwich get a very good fee for an academy product a fee that will pay for all of our 11 signings and a bit left over. If he flops then it is very good money indeed. If he does well we get more cash and a slice of the profit if he moves to bigger and better. Lewis cannot lose he will be financially secure for the rest of his life, he is playing in the shop window of the best league in the world and he knows that the club that nurtured him have done very well out of the deal. Add to that Newcastle are a lower mid table side and in all probability he will not be in the pressure cooker of a relegation battle Newcastle buy a good left back and they need one, he is at an age where hopefully he will get better and better. My best wishes to all parties in this and Norwich create a space for two players to show their worth and hopefully at least one of them to take there chance

35 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It’s a great move for him and I take he still gets 5% of the transfer fee for not demanding the move? 

It’s a great move for him. I want all of our players that move on to do as well as they can and I believe he can do even better than newcastle

29 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

misspelling!! * 😉

Cheers Paddy.  Wonder how long it would take for someone to spot it!  😆

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

Cheers Paddy.  Wonder how long it would take for someone to spot it!  😆

A lighthearted correction sir!

6 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

OK, thanks.

Have you seen the thread that's dedicated to transfers, it's called Official Transfer Rumour Thread?

😀

Thanks for the thread greavsy. We should all be free to post where we like

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KiwiScot said:

Thanks for the thread greavsy. We should all be free to post where we like

Awful lot of forum police about right now 👮‍♂️ 

• Thanks 1

Wasn't after any kudos for the post, was just sharing a tweet I'd seen with other supporters for their info. 

I think most have been appreciative. Thank you. 

• Thanks 1

I'm surprised Newcastle are prepared to buy anyone else from us after we stitched them up for Jacob Murphy, but we should keep banking their money. I agree that Lewis is a bit overrated and he hasn't progressed quite as much as he perhaps should have done. Maybe he will at Newcastle but I'm sceptical - I think it's a toxic club with even more toxic fans and if he doesn't start well he may go backwards like Jacob. I don't rate Bruce as a coach, and he may have to unlearn much of what has made his game so impressive under Farke.

Made for life perhaps, but career wise not reaching your potential must still be heart-breaking. And I suspect he will be involved in another relegation battle.

As for the comparisons to Cash, Lewis is a full international and has a PL season under his belt, but Cash is the more naturally gifted player and likely to progress further in my opinion.

Under the improvement Newcastle made with Bruce, I really see this as a good move for Lewis, will no doubt get game time and in a half decent team. I’ll definitely be looking out for Newcastle results next year, much bette than a manure or Liverpool.

I look at it this way. If Lewis was a Bournemouth player and we had just announced that we had signed Lewis for £14million + addons, people I believe wouldn’t be overwhelmed.

Good luck Jamal.

Lewis is a natural athlete, never seems to tire, good ball skills but not the best crosser. 

His defending skills will have improved after a hectic Prem season, also has the experience of being a regular international at a young age. 

He has the composure as his goal against Leicester proved. Great buy for Newcastle, we probably wouldn't have sold him had we not bought 2 replacements. 

22 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

They can't be that bad if they managed to put out 10 players good enough to stay in the league whilst carrying Joelinton for a year, where would they have finished with a good striker? 

If they sign Callum Wilson and manage to get him firing then they'll be fine. 

• Like 1

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-jamal-lewis-newcastle-united-offer-accepted-1-6825020

Jamal Lewis is expected to complete his move from Norwich City to Newcastle United in the coming days after the clubs agreed an initial £15m transfer deal.

'The Magpies firmed up their interest late on Sunday evening with personal terms agreed and a medical dependent on Lewis featuring on Monday night for Northern Ireland in the Uefa Nations League against Norway in Belfast.

City’s sporting director Stuart Webber held lengthy talks with the Magpies on Friday following an initial approach for the left back to discuss a potential £15m deal with a series of add ons.'

Edited by Bill

Looks a done deal. £15m  plus add ons in the COVID transfer world is pretty good business. He is a good player andhopefully will improve but at the moment £15m means a lot to our club and probably covers the cost of signing all 11 players that we have this season and a bit in the bank

If £15m plus addons is correct then it's a decent fee and likely not far from the £20m we set as a bar on all our young players pre-covid.

I think people have been a little harsh on Lewis - not as exciting as Aarons offensively but better defensively - reads the a game a bit better too.

On 05/09/2020 at 14:37, Jim Smith said:

Newcastle have spent 26/29 years in the Premiership, Palace 12. Lewis is clearly making a good move that means as long as he performs he will have a long and successful career at the top level. Fair Price for City, proves the model and probably funds the Summer's transfer business.