Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Posted on Tuesday in the Brexit thread: some Brexit supporters will learn what it actually feels to have an economic super power on their doorstep able to act in their interest and against theirs.

All the indignation shown in this thread and elsewhere just shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the position they advocated for.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kirku said:

Posted on Tuesday in the Brexit thread: some Brexit supporters will learn what it actually feels to have an economic super power on their doorstep able to act in their interest and against theirs.

All the indignation shown in this thread and elsewhere just shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the position they advocated for.

It does feel like we have a superpower on our doorstep

China

we should respond in turn and treat them as hostile. Until they do the right thing and become peaceful sovereign nations.

“There are precedents for the UK and, indeed, other countries, needing to consider their international obligations as circumstances change,”

I think we should all agree that this is a "very tightly defined circumstance" and the EU is acting in a "very specific and limited way".

The way people are going on you'd think they were trying to break international law.

32 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

“There are precedents for the UK and, indeed, other countries, needing to consider their international obligations as circumstances change,”

I think we should all agree that this is a "very tightly defined circumstance" and the EU is acting in a "very specific and limited way".

The way people are going on you'd think they were trying to break international law.

Yes, it was a dumb move by the EU but what was behind it was the entirely justified fear that Johnson wants sooner rather than later to bypass or do away with what he signed up to, which is a border in the Irish Sea and NI being in effect still in the single market with the Republic et al.

The EU's kneejerk reaction has to be seen in that context, and what will happen is that the EU, if it hasn't already, will make it plain this is a humanitarian one-off and not a precedent allowing Johnson to renege on the deal.

3 hours ago, paul moy said:

The EU has more deaths than the USA, and is rapidly approaching 500,000 ..... I trust you will be so quick to criticise their milestone when they reach it.  They also calculate differently to us so could be over that figure already.

Tell me you really are not using the vaccine incident to cover up what has happened with deaths in the U.K. There will be a time to discuss everything but this is not the right time, but it is not about 1 week it’s about 1 year.

5 hours ago, paul moy said:

WOW... so you blame AZ and still do not acknowledge that the EU were late to the party and should wait their turn.

You haven't done your research. And whatever anybody says your racist attitude just won't appreciate the facts.

Once more. The EU ordered in August. 100 million doses with a further 300 million to follow. Unfortunately for AZ and the EU, the culture failed for the first batch and only 25 million doses were available.

The EU then stupidly said that AZ should make up the number being sent elsewhere. AZ said the contract called for "best effort" and that was their best effort under the circumstances.

Obviously the EU had an idiot like you working for them and started telling lies and panicking. Even threatening Article 16.

Now our Government, to their credit, didn't panic and a few messages soon sorted it.

Our supplies, as per the contract we have, are not affected. It shouldn't bother you as the under 12sl not be receiving the vaccine.

So take all your racist remarks to the Brexit topic. This one is about Covid.

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You haven't done your research. And whatever anybody says your racist attitude just won't appreciate the facts.

Once more. The EU ordered in August. 100 million doses with a further 300 million to follow. Unfortunately for AZ and the EU, the culture failed for the first batch and only 25 million doses were available.

The EU then stupidly said that AZ should make up the number being sent elsewhere. AZ said the contract called for "best effort" and that was their best effort under the circumstances.

Obviously the EU had an idiot like you working for them and started telling lies and panicking. Even threatening Article 16.

Now our Government, to their credit, didn't panic and a few messages soon sorted it.

Our supplies, as per the contract we have, are not affected. It shouldn't bother you as the under 12sl not be receiving the vaccine.

You are so naive......

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Germany and the president of France have devalued the AZ vaccine based on no evidence at all just to try and undermine our vaccine initiative because we have done so much better than them. This is the behaviour I expect from Russia or China, not “Allies”.

The true colours are out, everyone saw it, it’s going to cost the EU big time. You back the wrong horse soft lad.

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

A good summary KG. Perhaps PM would now like to take the opportunity to thank the EU AZ plants for sending supplies of the vaccine in December when UK production failed. I won't hold my breath.

Looks like the EU have no advance orders for supply of Novavax !

As for the UK government, they have handled this crises well and for once BJ has looked like a statesman, if we have vaccine spare I would love to see the EU being given first refusal.

Just now, Van wink said:

Looks like the EU have no advance orders for supply of Novavax !

As for the UK government, they have handled this crises well and for once BJ has looked like a statesman, if we have vaccine spare I would love to see the EU being given first refusal.

Saving Europe from itself is what we do, let’s face it.

18 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Germany and the president of France have devalued the AZ vaccine based on no evidence at all just to try and undermine our vaccine initiative because we have done so much better than them. This is the behaviour I expect from Russia or China, not “Allies”.

The true colours are out, everyone saw it, it’s going to cost the EU big time. You back the wrong horse soft lad.

So if you order something on Amazon and pay up front only to be told they can only send a quarter of it, you just say oh well never mind, do your best.

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

And then we have to rely on the US.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Its a great opportunity for us to show some leadership on the big stage and would be the right thing to do if we have more than we need.

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 2

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

So if you order something on Amazon and pay up front only to be told they can only send a quarter of it, you just say oh well never mind, do your best.

And then we have to rely on the US.

I wouldn’t expect someone who ordered months before me to not be supplied because of inaction and stupidity on the EU side.

Bottom line is this has all been a metaphor for how the EU can’t deal with a situation like this. It’s static, stuck in the mud, unaccountable. It’s a horrendous organisation basically and elections within Europe where political parties offer a referendum in their manifesto are coming. It’s inevitable.

The USA will always back us over Europe, this is a good thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Its a great opportunity for us to show some leadership on the big stage and would be the right thing to do if we have more than we need.

I’m very much in favour of it. We have our rollout set in stone and nothing should deflect from that.

I’m up for sending additional supply to needy, underdeveloped countries rather than some on here who’d just give it all to the wealthy EU countries

• Like 2

Coronavirus vaccines should be given to all vulnerable groups and health workers across the globe before each country starts giving the jabs out more widely, the World Health Organisation (WHO) says.

This is morally and economically "the right thing to do", WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris told BBC Breakfast.

She says: "There have been a number of very interesting analyses showing that just vaccinating your own country and then sitting there and saying 'we're fine' will not work economically.

"We're so connected and unless we get all societies working effectively once again, every society will be financially effected." 

When asked to clarify whether once the UK has vaccinated the top nine priority groups, it should help efforts elsewhere instead of continuing its own immunisations, Ms Harris says: "We're asking all countries in those circumstances to do that - 'hang on, wait for those other groups'.

"Rather than rushing to vaccinate one country, we need to be doing the lot and we need to be doing it together."

• Like 1

ZOE app boss says numbers still dropping nationally but the speed of decline is slowing. R between 0.8 and 0.9.

• Like 1

Absolutely WBB, all vulnerable groups should be priority, I don’t think we should be vaccinating groups from 6 down till others round the globe are done too. 

There’s little risk to these groups and once everyone is more or less on an even standing then the rest could be vaccinated.

As for where EU or other parts of the globe is irrelevant, rich or poor makes no sense, everyone has the same requirements.

Unfortunately like I’ve said for a while, the rise of nationalism in most countries is noticeable, this is divisive in a time where we need to work together more than ever. Once Covid is under control we will have a massive task to get on with global warming and how we tackle this as one planet.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

ZOE app boss says numbers still dropping nationally but the speed of decline is slowing. R between 0.8 and 0.9.

Still under 1 which is a positive, hopefully once the groups vaccinated takes effect then we will see the hospital admission fall and death too.

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

Still under 1 which is a positive, hopefully once the groups vaccinated takes effect then we will see the hospital admission fall and death too.

Should be seeing the effects of this coming through now or very soon, data already pointing that way.Zoe doing a webinar next Wednesday when their data is going to be discussed on this topic, amongst others, I posted some info about it earlier if you don’t use the app.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Should be seeing the effects of this coming through now or very soon, data already pointing that way.Zoe doing a webinar next Wednesday when their data is going to be discussed on this topic, amongst others, I posted some info about it earlier if you don’t use the app.

To be fair I suspect the priority groups at present aren't actually the ones most likely to be strong vectors of the disease.

Just now, Yellow Fever said:

To be fair I suspect the priority groups at present aren't actually the ones most likely to be strong vectors of the disease.

Agree, I was referring to hospitalisation from the vaccinated groups

• Like 1

I think if we can get everything down, vaccinate people, get the borders sorted we might be in for an amazing “Great British Summer” I honestly do.

can’t see things being as rosy in the EU by this summer...

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Aggy said:

Nothing to do with Paul. I just asked what point you were making.

Presumably, based on your response here, you would agree that the people to blame for anyone catching covid as a result of meeting up over Christmas are the people themselves (not the government)?

No I don't agree. I hope this helps you. Im not going to blame those who were told that they can see family from two households, whilst Johnson prances about shedding crocodile tears. Do you think his trip to Scotland yesterday was essential? I think he should follow Cummings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Hospital admissions are already falling as far as I can see...............