Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

It feels like few people are bothered. There has been no government messaging and people need direction to tell them (again, just my view). Over the past year folk haven't worn face masks much (5% perhaps still do). I think people are taking their chances aren't they? Unless, in the more vulnerable groupings.

It would be interesting to see what cohorts make up hospitalisations and to what degree NHS trusts are struggling with the issue pre winter period. It would be good to know what plans the government has about Covid, about future vaccination plans. And that might include younger people. It would be useful to know more about long Covid and how it is being managed.

All we can do though is read from disparate sources, those stories that help build a picture. Is it just our government or the same with other governments across the world? I don't know.

I do know I've not heard one word about Covid from Coffey, nor Barclay before her, and very little from Javid before him.

Maybe those first 3 vaccination programmes have done the trick? But again, I don't know. WBB who is closer to the frontline of this and may know more. Is it a cost issue?

Personally I would hope the 4th booster can be offered to all and people can decide. 

And in addition this why anybody eligible should get the flu jab asap, including the very young.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63341574

4 minutes ago, wesforprimeminister said:

No. 400 people died who had covid.

Nope 400 had covid as a cause on their death certificates, but please note as already mentioned I really don’t want to get involved in the arguments around covid, we’ve been there done that and like many aren’t to bothered unless things change.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sonyc said:

It feels like few people are bothered. There has been no government messaging and people need direction to tell them (again, just my view). Over the past year folk haven't worn face masks much (5% perhaps still do). I think people are taking their chances aren't they? Unless, in the more vulnerable groupings.

It would be interesting to see what cohorts make up hospitalisations and to what degree NHS trusts are struggling with the issue pre winter period. It would be good to know what plans the government has about Covid, about future vaccination plans. And that might include younger people. It would be useful to know more about long Covid and how it is being managed.

All we can do though is read from disparate sources, those stories that help build a picture. Is it just our government or the same with other governments across the world? I don't know.

I do know I've not heard one word about Covid from Coffey, nor Barclay before her, and very little from Javid before him.

Maybe those first 3 vaccination programmes have done the trick? But again, I don't know. WBB who is closer to the frontline of this and may know more. Is it a cost issue?

Personally I would hope the 4th booster can be offered to all and people can decide. 

Yes long covid is an interesting point. Quite strange really that so many people over the age of 50 were previously telling youngsters about the dangers of long covid. But now there are a lot of over 50s getting booster jabs and seemingly not concerned at all that the youngsters can’t get boosters but are still exposed to long covid. Does long covid in youngsters no longer exist, or were the over 50s not actually worried about the health of the youngsters all along?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Knock me down with a Ben Gibson clearance. Mrs KG (been in Singapore) and I both tested positive last night.

Fingers crossed you and Mrs KG only get a mild dose of it mate.

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Fingers crossed you and Mrs KG only get a mild dose of it mate.

Thanks mate. Yes its not stopping me taking the dog for a walk or pottering in the garden. Its just back to those awful masks and gelling the hands. It wouldn't be so bad but one of my Grandsons lives with us because he works local and his girlfriend lives close as well. So we keep spraying handles and toilet seats etc just to make sure.

It certainly won't stop me watching our game this afternoon. Always expect us to win and every game starts with a clean sheet as far as I am concerned. One game at a time. OTBC

• Like 2

The worse buzz-phrase to come out of all this is that one about the gate closing after the horse has already bolted all in reference to vaccines.

Worse single word has to be “Twindemic”, quickly going to be the next media buzzword that is going to really rial us up.

Edited by KernowCanary

2 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

The worse buzz-phrase to come out of all this is that one about the gate closing after the horse has already bolted all in reference to vaccines.

Worse single word has to be “Twindemic”, quickly going to be the next media buzzword that is going to really rial us up.

Let’s hope that the flu season here ( that has started a month early ) is not as bad as suffered in Australia. Two bits of good news though, there were a couple of bad strains that were picked up before the strains moved North, so the vaccines will hopefully help ( provided enough people take it ) and the NHS are prepared but can only do so much.

At long last the media reports today that a retrospective trial in Cambridge of blood thinners used to treat covid at the start of the pandemic showed that they were of no benefit and in some cases led to significant bleeding.

A previously healthy woman in her 50s whom I knew slightly was hospitalised, treated with blood thinners and had almost recovered from covid when she died of a brain haemorrhage.  Her death was attributed to covid.

I'm not blaming doctors who knew no better, but I'd like to see some honesty about the number of 'covid deaths' that were caused by the treatment rather than the disease.  Unlikely though, in view of potential legal action. 

The routine use of blood thinners in old people who have no risk factors for blood clots apart from age is also an issue.  My mother, who died of a brain haemorrhage, was treated in this way: I'd noticed that she often had bruises but put it down to knocks and falls.  'Preventive medicine' is a huge money-spinner.

Edited by benchwarmer

Chinese Government clamping down on protesters. For a country that has its own values regarding human rights, I find it strange that they are still imposing lockdowns.

Edited by keelansgrandad

2 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

At long last the media reports today that a retrospective trial in Cambridge of blood thinners used to treat covid at the start of the pandemic showed that they were of no benefit and in some cases led to significant bleeding.

A previously healthy woman in her 50s whom I knew slightly was hospitalised, treated with blood thinners and had almost recovered from covid when she died of a brain haemorrhage.  Her death was attributed to covid.

I'm not blaming doctors who knew no better, but I'd like to see some honesty about the number of 'covid deaths' that were caused by the treatment rather than the disease.  Unlikely though, in view of potential legal action. 

The routine use of blood thinners in old people who have no risk factors for blood clots apart from age is also an issue.  My mother, who died of a brain haemorrhage, was treated in this way: I'd noticed that she often had bruises but put it down to knocks and falls.  'Preventive medicine' is a huge money-spinner.

I am sorry to hear about this ladies death, but one of the common things that killed people with covid was blood clots, especially on the lungs. The Pandemic was a harsh thing there were no vaccines or treatments. Now due to trials there are many vaccines and treatments. Anyone that signs up to a trial, especially those where the disease is likely kill you are signing up to the risks, many begged to be put on trials as it was their only chance. You can argue even when the results are in some treatments and vaccines prove far better than others, I suppose a good example of this would be Astra Zeneca against the mRNA vaccines. As much as I love AZ and all what was done, the way forward was the mRNA vaccines, so those that chose that solution were very lucky.

Moving forward because of those covid trials, the traditional type vaccines will no longer be used or manufactured, it will be mRNA. The new flu vaccine in trials at present, it is believed would likely wipe out a future pandemic around the flu viruses.

It is also known that the cancer vaccines, that were being worked on prior to covid, are now well advanced, however it will take years to prove they definitely work. It is said that Bird flu does not transfer to humans, but is that really true as Pfizer are currently trialing a bird flu vaccine.

So in conclusion every death from a trial is so depressing, however the billions these save is immeasurable. Where would we be without things like penasillin and vaccines, still dieing in our 40’s I guess.

• Like 1

Interesting article here that China is effectively dropping its zero-Covid policy, just not saying so.

China Covid: Xi's face-saving exit from his signature policy - BBC News

This leaves concerns about low vaccination rates in China among the elderly, but the previous policy was simply unsustainable.

Also the fact that protests in China have forced the government to effectively change its policy will not be forgotten.