Matt Gill

Looks like a decent signing to me

1. free / probably cheap wages

2. knows the league

3. plays passing football

4. wants to be here

5. well liked / rated by current supporters

6. decent age

I''d not heard of Clingan or Holt before we signed them, can''t really see what people expect, this is exactly the type of player we need to be building a squad from

[quote user="LQ"]Well I hope he does make some of you hang your heads in shame.The guy obviously does read messageboards as this post he''s just made on that Grecians site demonstrates:Thanks guys, I have had some great years here at Exeter but i felt it was time to move on and i chose Norwich.

Thank you i will always remember.

See you next year hopefully

This post is genuine

Gilly

If he reads this one I hope he can overlook one or two posters who have never seen him play but are just jumping on his signing as something else to bash the Club with.Looking forward to seeing him in yellow and green.

[/quote]Good post LQ. And the proof of the pudding as they say...Haven''t seen him play but nothing on this thread suggests to me that he will not prove to be a good signing. I''m pleased - because I have always felt that our midfield never fired well under Roeder and has still lacked cohesion under Gunn - despite Clingan''s efforts. We have a lot of holes to fill but this seems to me like a good start.

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31965&page=20go to about page 16 of the comments... it''s clear he is very well thought of in exeter... I am genuinely excited by this signing... FINALLY we seem to be signing the right kind of player. This is just the start though... this signing needs to be followed up by another good signing... and then another and then another... We cannot under estimate this league and the need to have players in our ranks who are good enough to score 15 - 20 league goals next season.

Thank God some activity-I''m so sick of looking at sites with utter rubbish rumours-Sol Campbell 2 NCFC/Leroy Lita has been linked with every club in the championship & us-Just give me some old fashion heroes-Drinks/Fleck/Ashton/.....Please Please Please never let me feel like i did listening 2 the Charlton game again.I love NCFC and have done since 1984(as a young kid).

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="LQ"]Well I hope he does make some of you hang your heads in shame.

The guy obviously does read messageboards as this post he''s just made on that Grecians site demonstrates:

Thanks guys, I have had some great years here at Exeter but i felt it was time to move on and i chose Norwich.

Thank you i will always remember.

See you next year hopefully

This post is genuine

Gilly

If he reads this one I hope he can overlook one or two posters who have never seen him play but are just jumping on his signing as something else to bash the Club with.

Looking forward to seeing him in yellow and green.

[/quote]

Good post LQ. And the proof of the pudding as they say...Haven''t seen him play but nothing on this thread suggests to me that he will not prove to be a good signing. I''m pleased - because I have always felt that our midfield never fired well under Roeder and has still lacked cohesion under Gunn - despite Clingan''s efforts. We have a lot of holes to fill but this seems to me like a good start.
[/quote]

That was not posted by Matt Gill, it was posted at 15:02. He was at a press conference at 15:00!!!

I think you''ll find the press conference started a little late (they usually do) and whilst waiting he was in the corner office at Colney checking out what the Exeter fans were saying about him.[;)]

[quote user="still holding out for new heroes"]

Looks like a decent signing to me

1. free / probably cheap wages

2. knows the league

3. plays passing football

4. wants to be here

5. well liked / rated by current supporters

6. decent age

I''d not heard of Clingan or Holt before we signed them, can''t really see what people expect, this is exactly the type of player we need to be building a squad from

[/quote]

Absolutely spot on. We need to sign permanent players who want to be here. Players proud to wear the shirt.

The fact he is willing to move all the way back here kind of proves that, as he is giving up guranteed 1st team football with .

A lot of clubs like Exeter are going to be in the position this year of having to let their better players go for nothing.

I think the free agent market this year will be fantastic for clubs like Norwich who can pay above average wages.

I would be amazed if we spend very much on actual transfer fees this year. Its all about wages.

The negativity by some in this thread is not suprising, how many times have the same type of people knocked every signing we have ever made.

I remember Hucks was knocked, Crouch was knocked, Earnie was knocked, Clingan was knocked.........frankly only time will tell how good a player will be for the club. 

As an ECFC fan, can I just say that we are all gutted that Gilly has gone, even though we all suspected that it was inevitable. He has been our best player for three seasons, and will be almost impossible to replace on a like for like basis on our budget. I would go so far as to say we will need to change our style of play now he''s gone.

I''m sorry to say this, but this forum appears to be largely populated by morons. "A free transfer from Exeter"? Do you seriously imagine you''d have got him for under six figures if he weren''t out of contract? Don''t imagine for one minute that Gilly will be a squad player for you. He will be central to everything you do, just as soon as he settles down.

In my opinion, he can play at Championship level, although at 28 time is beginning to run out for him.

What kind of player is he? He''s very good at adapting to whatever role is needed for the team, and how far forward he roams will depend on who''s in midfield with him. Last season he was given more licence to go forward and showed a good eye for an opening as well as decent finishing.

He has a very quick brain. He knows what his options are well before the ball reaches him and, often as not, needs only one touch to find the right pass. This sometimes makes him look unspectacular, but what he does -- or what he did for us -- was to keep the team''s passing game ticking over better than anyone. He is capable of long pinpoint passes, although shorter one-touch stuff is more his forte. He also does more than his share of defensive duties.

Be patient, watch him closely, and you will find that you have a gem on your hands.

Welcome to the club Matt...Looks like a good signing - good age, local lad, liked by the fans, plays the ''right'' kind of football, and has experience of this league.  Oh, and cheap.  Exactly what people have been looking for us to go out and get... and now we''ve got him, its still not good enough for some.  Anyone would think that they''d complain regardless?  When Wiz posts his thoughts, if he hasn''t already, can we sticky them to be reviewed in a day/week/month/year? [;)]

Hi Bristol_grecian

Thanks for the summary, very encouraging. You must ignore the idiots. Some people on here think we should be a Premiership club competing with Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Others are more down to earth and realise that picking out gems like Gills could well be, is the way to make progress for clubs like ours.

Good luck to Exeter next season.

[quote user="bristol_grecian"]

As an ECFC fan, can I just say that we are all gutted that Gilly has gone, even though we all suspected that it was inevitable. He has been our best player for three seasons, and will be almost impossible to replace on a like for like basis on our budget. I would go so far as to say we will need to change our style of play now he''s gone.

I''m sorry to say this, but this forum appears to be largely populated by morons. "A free transfer from Exeter"? Do you seriously imagine you''d have got him for under six figures if he weren''t out of contract? Don''t imagine for one minute that Gilly will be a squad player for you. He will be central to everything you do, just as soon as he settles down.

In my opinion, he can play at Championship level, although at 28 time is beginning to run out for him.

What kind of player is he? He''s very good at adapting to whatever role is needed for the team, and how far forward he roams will depend on who''s in midfield with him. Last season he was given more licence to go forward and showed a good eye for an opening as well as decent finishing.

He has a very quick brain. He knows what his options are well before the ball reaches him and, often as not, needs only one touch to find the right pass. This sometimes makes him look unspectacular, but what he does -- or what he did for us -- was to keep the team''s passing game ticking over better than anyone. He is capable of long pinpoint passes, although shorter one-touch stuff is more his forte. He also does more than his share of defensive duties.

Be patient, watch him closely, and you will find that you have a gem on your hands.

[/quote]

Hopefully Real Madrid fans are not reading as they just paid a record fee for somone of roughly the same age. ;-)

Thanks for the nice comments, obviously as he has already signed for us you have no reason to be complementary.

Its nice to hear an opinion from somone who has watched him closely over the last few seasons.

I think many members here quietly agree with you on the quality of some of the posters on this message board.

[quote user="bristol_grecian"]

I''m sorry to say this, but this forum appears to be largely populated by morons.   

[/quote]Who can he mean?

I''m a moron, and so''s my wife!Matt, if you do read message boards, it might be best if you stay away from this one!

An encouraging signing, sounds like he can play the ball on the ground a bit, has the physical presence that we need too.We need a few more like him then...

[quote user="ncfclad"]9 goals from midfield last season sounds good to me.[/quote]

Mmmmm....

Tough league that Fourth Division......

Actually the first signing to excite me for some time. Here''s the choice:

premier league wannabee kid or has been on loan who never has us at heart or

local lad desperate to pull on the shirt and grab his chance to fulfill a dream

I''m content. This is the future. We''ve seen with Cody that enthusiasm can make up for premier league background. He''s living his dream so let''s enjoy it with him and not be down on the guy before he''s started.  

[quote user="Cluck is God"]

[/quote]

Yes, it is. And the "Third" is even tougher. You''ll find out soon enough, I suspect......

Remember the "Second" was too hot for you, and teams with a losing mentality quite often struggle again after relegation.

Silly of me, though. You''re a big club, so will be immune from all that. Or at least I hope so, for your sake. [;)]

[quote user="bristol_grecian"][quote user="Cluck is God"]

[/quote]

Yes, it is. And the "Third" is even tougher. You''ll find out soon enough, I suspect......

Remember the "Second" was too hot for you, and teams with a losing mentality quite often struggle again after relegation.

Silly of me, though. You''re a big club, so will be immune from all that. Or at least I hope so, for your sake. [;)]

[/quote]

I''m afraid there are a lot of people on this board who have still to accept the reality of our situation. The ''never heard of him'' brigade are living in the same cloud cuckoo land where the trout that owns us is doing a fantastic job. Matty Gill may turn out to be a blinding signing or a complete turnip but at least he wants to be here and is actually going to be our player. He is typical, I''d have thought, of the type of signing we''ll be making this close season. I just want a team of commited NCFC owned players who try to play passing football. Yes we are a big club by league One standardsbut that doesn''t mean squat once the game starts. then it''s doen to ability and heart. 

We got Sammy Clingan on a free transfer from a ''club apparently lower in stature'' and we could sell him for 1m.Dont blame Gunn for the free transfer, blame the board for leaving us in a position Gunn is clearly looking carefully.FFS lads lets give Gilly a chance [Y]

I just browsed that the forum Chirp posted a link to and he was very highly thought of by the Exceter fans, some going as far to say he''s one of the best players they''ve had.

I''m genuinlely pleased with this signing, he''s the type of player we need to be going for IMO and i''m pleased with got him, he sounds like he can be a very good player for us.

And if Gilly reads this board at some point, FFS ignore the complete idiots that have suffered with a bad case of talkingshit-itus for nigh on 5 years now, the objective fans who arn''t detirmined to slate everyone who''s brought in are delighted you''ve come to us and we hope to see you do well.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

This pretty much symbolises the completition of the demise of our football club....free transfers from Exeter City, this is our market place now

Presumably this is our ''replacement'' for the 1million out going Clingan, pathetic.

There even had to be a catch with this signing too, I see he''s a Norwich lad, can''t even buy him without there being a hidden catch.

just **** off Gunn

[/quote]

Why is it a ''hidden catch'' that he''s from Norfolk? Are you saying we should rule out players with Norfolk connections. We''re often seeing players preferring London or Midlands clubs becasue they''re near their home - so this time it works to our advantage, what''s wrong with that? And if he has an extra incentive to play for his local team, all the better. Give the lad a chance at least.  

Never seen the guy play,and in all honesty we are not going to sign big names and haven''t done in years but at least he is our player and wants to play for Norwich City,you can''t judge untill you''ve watched the guy play,Good luck to him and lets hope he is the first of many new players!!! I may not like the board or their choice of puppet....sorry manager but players who want to play for Norwich and have an idea of what the fans expect can''t be a bad thing!

Oh and to say well done board is just a joke,what exactly did they do?

Could be far worse. A player of winning mentality is exactly what we need as we look forward to a tough season. What gets me is that already several members of the message board have shot him down without him even kicking a ball for us! Seriously, give the guy a chance to at least get some pitch time. I remember David Mooney getting similar criticism when we brought him in for a loan spell from Reading and he actually went on to score some goals for us. Granted, we didn''t survive relegation but he still gave us something to shout about.Gill is a contracted Norwich City player, something which fans have been crying out for a while now! He''s also a local lad. And despite this and a solid recommendation from an Exeter fan he''s already being tainted as a nobody. Pathetic. If he turns out to be poor then by all means I''ll retract this statement. But for now I wish him all the best and I have every faith he can deliver the goods for us.

Just got off the phone to my mate who is a Grecians fan, descirbes this as a big loss for Exeter and one of thier better players ( bear in mind they just got back to back promotion ) midfielder , scores a lot.Thumbs up from me !