Sign in to follow this  
Rob Edward is God

Matt Gill

[quote user="CT "]I expect everyone to apologise to Gill if hes as good as I think and heard that he is.

My exeter mates are gutted.
[/quote]

I''m not apologising, I haven''t slated the lad, and will give him a chance to bed in and play at least 12 games before I can judge.  I was one of the first to welcome him as it goes.

[quote user="CT "]So you represnt everyone do you?

I said everyone who doubted Gill, if you dont doubt Gill then this has nothing to do with you  [:P]
[/quote]

Oki doki CT

[quote user="Bexley"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

He''s here on a free and has yet to kick a ball in anger for NCFC.....I''ll have an opinion after he''s had half a dozen games.....Friendlies don''t give you points in the league....

I also personally believe that we are financially in the mire....and therefore, I expect the likes of Gill''s recruitment - to be the norm.....

[/quote]

Agree Mello, I know very little about him, but I''ll give him 10 competitve games before slagging him off.

Agreed............sadly.

Was it not you saying at the weekend that we were shortly to enter admin & that the lack of any signings was further evidence of that?  

[/quote][/quote]

He''s on a free isn''t he?[:|]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]So in summary... 1. people are going to moan when we don''t sign anyone 2. people are going to moan when we start signing players in keeping with our league status and budgetI welcome the signing, it''s a permanent deal not a loan and he''s been proven at the lower levels.[/quote]And of course, had Wycombe beat us to signing him... any guess as to what the reaction would have been?

I think we''d all like Norwich be signing more prestigous players of more obvious calibre, however, the circumstances we''re he''s the type of player we need. We need the team spirit from the play-off/promotion years when the players were proud of playing for the team.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "][quote user="First Wizard"]

Well his old fans seem gutted:

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31965&page=18

[/quote]  I expect the Lowestoft fans would be gutted too if we signed some of their stars , that does not make them good enough for City though.
[/quote]

Thing is, we are in Division 3 now, not Championship and sure as hell not Premiership, we are pretty much skint as far as signing big names goes, we don''t have a full and proper squad yet.

So who do you suggest Gunny buys?  Bearing in mind we might have very little budget, it''s a tough league and we need probably the minimum of 6 to 8 players.

we are in the same leauge as exeter .

i realise the guy may not cut the mustard in the premiership or championship but we have signed a player from a rival who has just been promoted twice .

the guy played a big part of that we should not slate the man before he has kicked a ball for us i would put money on it he will work a dam site harder than the lazy ass players who were on alot more money than he is on.

he will be a player who will want to get stuck in not  some of the tools who could not be bothered turning up and rather dream of playing for thier parent club in the premiership.

hes a local lad im sure he would love to impress his REAL home fans.

good luck matt welcome home .

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Bexley"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

He''s here on a free and has yet to kick a ball in anger for NCFC.....I''ll have an opinion after he''s had half a dozen games.....Friendlies don''t give you points in the league....

I also personally believe that we are financially in the mire....and therefore, I expect the likes of Gill''s recruitment - to be the norm.....

[/quote]

Agree Mello, I know very little about him, but I''ll give him 10 competitve games before slagging him off.

Agreed............sadly.

Was it not you saying at the weekend that we were shortly to enter admin & that the lack of any signings was further evidence of that?  

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote]

Well there isn''t a transfer fee being paid. But no, he wont be "free" - there will be a signing on fee, agents fee, wages. Surpsrising, wouldn''t you think, that a club on the verge of administration would be spending money? Or actually, maybe you were just talking nonsense?

[quote user="Bexley"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Bexley"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Agreed............sadly.

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote]

Well there isn''t a transfer fee being paid. But no, he wont be "free" - there will be a signing on fee, agents fee, wages. Surpsrising, wouldn''t you think, that a club on the verge of administration would be spending money? Or actually, maybe you were just talking nonsense?

[/quote]

As always Bexly, time will tell.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Bexley"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Bexley"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Agreed............sadly.

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As always Bexly, time will tell.

[/quote]

Not long to wait & see though, hey?

[quote user="Bexley"]

I can remember the season after we got relegated having won the Milk Cup and we signed a load of new players in the close season, none of which I had heard of.

There was a Michael Phelan from a Burnley side in the bottom tier I think, Messrs Crook, Bowen & Culverhouse from Spurs, reserve side, Kevin Drinkell from Grimsby. It didn''t exactly set my pulse racing. But they turned out to be gems & they stormed the league the following season & the season after got us a fifth placed finish in the top flight.

They were hungry, commited players & yes, they had skill too. You could see that they were relishing their opportunity & were going to grab it with both hands.

There''s no guarantee of course that Gill (or any new recruits from lower down than the Championship) will hit the same heights and standards but let''s hope so hey? Because there is evidence that lower leagued players have blossomed into great players when arriving at Carrow Road.

I for one will give him & future new recruits the benefit of doubt & total support until I believe they are not worthy of it.

Hear hear! FFS, we are in the THIRD division and we are skint....this is where we are at and this is the sort of player we are going to be signing! Get used to it, signing players people have "heard of" (why must new signings always be players people have, here we go again, "heard of", what is its importance?) or are "names" is long, long past-we don''t want any more Prem reserves, CCC reserves, cluttering up the place, we want our own players, who want to be here, and who want to be part of this club.

Welcome to Norwich, Matty.

I''ve no doubt that, the minute he mistimes a pass in his debut, people will be on his back and dullards will be ringing into "Canary Call" proclaiming that "...that Gilly bloke Neel, ee''s not roight, ee carn''t pass a ball Neil, where did e'' come from, Ex-ter, we should be gittin'' playerz'' from Man U-noited Neel..." and all the rest of it, however, thats to be expected.

But he comes with a good reputation, and, for once -and whenever you sign a player, fans of the club he has left are always proclaiming just how terrible he was-fans of his previous club are telling us what a good player we have. Lets hope we give him the chance to prove that here.

Another player we got in that season who Bexley didn''t mention cost a few thousand quid and came from Bristol Rovers-and was in his thirties! He was David Williams, one of the finest midfield players this club has had in recent years.

David Bentley, on the other hand, was "heard of" and came from Arsenal. Enough said-what was it, one good game?

[/quote]

some people need to relise that we NEED build a squad together of our own players, this guy has done well in the last few seasons and i would much rather us be signing players from around us than youngsters on loan from a premiership reserve side. This model is the way we need to go now and look at some of the sides it has worked for wolves being an example who have signed alot of players from divisions below

...try again...

Hear hear! FFS, we are in the THIRD division and we are

skint....this is where we are at and this is the sort of player we are

going to be signing! Get used to it, signing players people have "heard

of" (why must new signings always be players people have, here we go

again, "heard of", what is its importance?) or are "names" is long,

long past-we don''t want any more Prem reserves, CCC reserves,

cluttering up the place, we want our own players, who want to be here,

and who want to be part of this club.

Welcome to Norwich, Matty.

I''ve

no doubt that, the minute he mistimes a pass in his debut, people will

be on his back and dullards will be ringing into "Canary Call"

proclaiming that "...that Gilly bloke Neel, ee''s not roight, ee carn''t

pass a ball Neil, where did e'' come from, Ex-ter, we should be gittin''

playerz'' from Man U-noited Neel..." and all the rest of it, however,

thats to be expected.

But he comes with a good reputation, and,

for once -and whenever you sign a player, fans of the club he has left

are always proclaiming just how terrible he was-fans of his previous

club are telling us what a good player we have. Lets hope we give him

the chance to prove that here.

Another player we got in that

season who Bexley didn''t mention cost a few thousand quid and came from

Bristol Rovers-and was in his thirties! He was David Williams, one of

the finest midfield players this club has had in recent years.

David Bentley, on the other hand, was "heard of" and came from Arsenal. Enough said-what was it, one good game?

"Another player we got in that season who Bexley didn''t mention cost a few thousand quid and came from Bristol Rovers-and was in his thirties! He was David Williams, one of the finest midfield players this club has had in recent years."

Ah yes - how could I forget. Magic player. I recall at the time thinking "What?? How old? From Bristol Rovers??? An ex school teacher???? (I think he was)" -  He was class!

Williams was a great player, him and Chippy being in the same squad meant that we had two of the best passers of the ball I''ve seen at the club, both at the same time. 

It shows that you really cannot judge a player by the level he is playing at - but we do have to remember we are at that same level right now.  Getting a player from a side who doesn''t want to lose him, who is regarded as their best player, on a free, is surely good business. 

the numpty''s that moan about a player they know nothing about get right on my nerves, if you are one of those "fans" why don''t you p*ss off and support someone else. For Christ sakes, we are div 1, why not sign decent sounding div 1 players? Some people need to take their heads out of their ars*s and realise that we are not playing Bayern Munich next week! Rant over.

[quote user="olej"]WHO? I think this is a sign of things to come, free agents that nobody has ever herd of.[/quote]Sammy Clingan was free and nobody ever heard of him.Your an idiot, give the guy a chance, my opinion is that it could a great signing, the Exeter fan says he''s great, he scored 9 last season and has a winning mentatlity coming from a team thats just won promotion, as Gunn says. Plus he''s Norwich born and bred so will be lovin it and will give 110%.

[quote user="Marty"]the numpty''s that moan about a player they know nothing about get right on my nerves, if you are one of those "fans" why don''t you p*ss off and support someone else. For Christ sakes, we are div 1, why not sign decent sounding div 1 players? Some people need to take their heads out of their ars*s and realise that we are not playing Bayern Munich next week! Rant over.[/quote]spot on, why waste money on people like Sibierski like we did last season, we need to spend what little money we have wisely, and thats on players who can play at this level and get us out of it. We dont need premiership hand me downs, we need players used to winning at League 1 level.

[quote user="Gunns NO Legend"][quote user="The Chirp"]don''t think that just because you haven''t heard of him he isn''t going to be any good. 9 goals from centre midfield and a decent passer to boot sounds pretty good to me. Not seen him play before I grant you, but i''ve just read through match reports and other things on him and he sounds like a decent signing to me. I was saying that Norwich should have gone after bean of brentford as he was a central midfielder, around six fooot and can score goals... well he''s under contract so Gill looks to be a very decent alternative.

[/quote] Now theres a surprise The Chirp bigging up the most dissapointing signing this club has made in years .[/quote]how is he any different than Clingan last season? free, from a newly promoted side, ball winner, passer, goalscorer. Give him a chance, he could turn out to be the perfect Clingan replacement.

He wants to play for us, he''s a local lad and his family still live here so lets give him a chance and hope he has the passion which was missing last season.

[quote user="Marty"]the numpty''s that moan about a player they know nothing about get right on my nerves, if you are one of those "fans" why don''t you p*ss off and support someone else. For Christ sakes, we are div 1, why not sign decent sounding div 1 players? Some people need to take their heads out of their ars*s and realise that we are not playing Bayern Munich next week! Rant over.[/quote]

I guess you could say he same about the usual suspects who continually get so excited about a player they know nothing about eh?

I might also add that he is more of a Blue Square/Division Four player as Exeter haven''t kicked a ball following their promotion yet have they?

[quote user="Cluck is God"]

[quote user="Marty"]the numpty''s that moan about a player they know nothing about get right on my nerves, if you are one of those "fans" why don''t you p*ss off and support someone else. For Christ sakes, we are div 1, why not sign decent sounding div 1 players? Some people need to take their heads out of their ars*s and realise that we are not playing Bayern Munich next week! Rant over.[/quote]

I guess you could say he same about the usual suspects who continually get so excited about a player they know nothing about eh?

I might also add that he is more of a Blue Square/Division Four player as Exeter haven''t kicked a ball following their promotion yet have they?

[/quote]Except Exeter were promoted from League Two to League One last year, not Conference to League Two. We''ll be playing them next year.

[quote user="Cluck is God"]I guess you could say he same about the usual suspects who continually get so excited about a player they know nothing about eh?[/quote]That is very true.It does amuse me that there are a few people (only a few though I think) who have (justifiably) had a go at people slagging him off before even seeing him play - before promptly admitting that they haven''t seen him play themselves but saying the signing excites them. Which is just as stupid, in my book.I doubt many people had properly heard of him before yesterday and even fewer must have seen him play. So how can anybody, in their right mind, make some sort of decision on how good he is or not? I have not said anything either way - clearly the Exeter fans rate him and are sad to see him go but it has no bearing on how well (or badly?) he''ll do here so can we all chill out a bit? He is our first signing,  I hope there''ll be more to come (let''s face it, we have to sign a lot of players still and it''ll be interesting to see how we do it, to say the least) - are we going to do the same to every player we sign now?

[quote user="WACCOLO"][quote user="singing canary"]

i will pass judgement after i have seen him play .

29 is hardly old either !

i cant see him being any worse than the loan flops we have had here last season .

if he has gained promotion twice he cant be that bad of player.

alot of decent players are over looked because of thier teams position in the leauge .

he as a midfielder has score more than our strikers last season .

i hope he does well for us good luck to him .

[/quote]Someone with a bit of sense! unbelievable.p.s. does anyone actually read my posts?[/quote] You are wasting your time pal, large majority on here would moan if they signed Rooney and Ronaldo. The most important issues are to slag off everyone else and condemn every other Town and City except dear old Norwich.

I too have never heard of him, but I hadnt heard of Clingan either when we signed him.

Fact is, having looked at his record for the last two seasons, if he was under contract still and we wanted to sign him, we probably couldnt afford him.

Moxey has gone to Derby for £300k and Gill sounds a better player to me, so shut the f*ck giving the guy a hard time before he''s even pulled a shirt on.

There are many players over the years as have already been pointed out that we have signed and we had never heard of them....some have worked some havent.

Just hope Gill isnt reading these threads as he''ll probably do a u turn and sign for one of our competitors.

Rich