Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Away leg predictions

Have to admit based on our away form this season and our home performance against Leeds I'm not feeling all too confident about playing them away. Do rather feel it's going to be decided on just one goal, and that the winner will be whoever scores first.

But what do you think?

There will be huge pressure on the Leeds players and staff and I think this toxic atmosphere will be in our favour.   

0-0 and we win on penalties. It's been the plan all along.

The rational part of my brain can't see anything other than a reasonably comfortable home win for Leeds, however I wouldn't live 3 hours away from Norwich and still have a season ticket if I only listened to the rational bit!  As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm actually happy that we're going in to this game all square.  The thought of us turning up trying to hold on to a 1-0 lead would terrify me, so I'm hoping for it to stay 0-0 as long as possible, and then we snatch a late goal and end up scoring a second in the 94th minute on a breakaway with Meslier up for a corner.  So my prediction, Leeds 0 - 2 Norwich.

• Like 2

I predicted us to win the home leg so bang goes my creditably, however as mentioned the longer it remains 0-0 the more confident I will feel. Prediction- a win after penalties. Fear the game won’t be great for my blood pressure😅

Every second it remains 0-0 the pressure notches up a level.

The hope is we can hold on long enough for the crowd nerves to transfer to the players. In my opinion Leeds fans seem to me to be over emotional and almost too engaged. Normally this would be a good thing but there must be something in the fact Leeds have never won a playoff game.

7 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Every second it remains 0-0 the pressure notches up a level.

The hope is we can hold on long enough for the crowd nerves to transfer to the players. In my opinion Leeds fans seem to me to be over emotional and almost too engaged. Normally this would be a good thing but there must be something in the fact Leeds have never won a playoff game.

They have won individual games, just not been promoted via playoffs. 

I'm still debating to watch it or not. Dont think I can deal with the anxiety and stress! 

We're possibly going to have to play near 100% of the game without making a defensive error. Even Sunday we had a shambles which led to a Leeds goal, although rightly disallowed.

I expect Leeds will look to wear us down and eventually that error will come.

• Like 1

Wagner will set it up for 0-0 and then if we go 1-0 down he will not have a clue what to do about it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I keep thinking back to the home game against Ipswich, and how every one of the team turned up and did their bit.

This gives me hope.

Play like that, and we've got a chance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Wagner will set it up for 0-0 and then if we go 1-0 down he will not have a clue what to do about it.

I think we'll have to try and sit tight for the first 20 minutes at least, as they're bound to come out all guns blazing. However, if it's still 0-0 after that, I hope Wagner recognises that our best chance of progressing is to get a goal rather than trying to play for penalties.

We've got next to nothing on the bench that could change a game compared to Leeds's squad, and I highly doubt Sarge will last two hours, so fingers crossed if we can get through the opening unscathed we might at least try to take the game to them a bit.

I wonder whether Barnes might be able to start alongside Sarge for maximum physical presence, and then perhaps we could at least keep Rowe on the bench for a bit of fresh impetus later on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think we'll have to try and sit tight for the first 20 minutes at least, as they're bound to come out all guns blazing. However, if it's still 0-0 after that, I hope Wagner recognises that our best chance of progressing is to get a goal rather than trying to play for penalties.

We've got next to nothing on the bench that could change a game compared to Leeds's squad, and I highly doubt Sarge will last two hours, so fingers crossed if we can get through the opening unscathed we might at least try to take the game to them a bit.

I wonder whether Barnes might be able to start alongside Sarge for maximum physical presence, and then perhaps we could at least keep Rowe on the bench for a bit of fresh impetus later on.

Pretty much exactly this.  I'll be surprised if we win in 90 mins. I'll be absolutely astonished if we don't lose if it goes to extra time 

If we take the lead, no repeat of Leicester away please and sit back for the rest of the match. They are a passionate fan base but turn on their own players quickly. 

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yes I think if Rowe comes off the bench he has much more of a chance of making an impact, without that option we've nothing to change the game whereas they certainly do.

My head expects a similar game and outcome to the league game there.  But as people have pointed out, if we can replicate the energy and focus of the games vs 1p5wich, we have a chance.

If Barnes still isn't fit, I hope Sara plays a lot closer to Sargent.

We can't have Sargent isolated up front.

Sara needs to link up with him.

The fact that Wagner does'nt trust half of our bench,means that we'll have to possibly grind our way through 120 mins relying on 14 players. Somebody like Abou,with his pace,could be a godsend at @ 80 mins......if Wagner has the gonads to do it.

We have a chance, but only a slim one. You have to fancy them at Elland Road. They're good at home, coupled with us being bad away makes it difficult to see a path through for us. Having said that, their fans will turn, so if it stays 0-0 for a while and we start to get a foothold in the game anything can happen. Although my sober, head-not-heart prediction is 2-0 Leeds. 

1 hour ago, Satriales said:

I'm still debating to watch it or not. Dont think I can deal with the anxiety and stress! 

Fan of the year!

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Exactly what I'm fearing for tbh... If we somehow grab the lead though, things will be different , pressure on Leeds will be immense.

Posted (edited)

At the weekend, as great as the build up was, I didn't really feel much throughout the game, especially the longer it went on.  I had no fear, and felt no over-arching excitement either. Completely unlike I felt when were last part of the playoffs, in fact it didn't really feel like a playoff match once we got into second half.

I'd probably go further and say I was more excited watching the playoff games last season and seeing the blood and thunder and desire of each team to win, we just don't seem capable of coming up to that level.

So... I don't know how we get past them, but i've just got this feeling we do it in a very boring way and sleep walk to the prem league.

Of course, It's possible i'm just slowly growing sick of football, or rather disillusioned with it all on a whole, and it doesn't stir me as it used to.  Thursday feels like just another league match to me, and I think it's completely 50-50, I just feel no pressure, but I think Leeds as a club will.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Fan of the year!

Most ridiculous reply of the year!

I'm just saying, watching us away at Leeds on tv in a second leg playoff game will be quite stressful. Obviously I want us to win, and if so I'll be at Wembley with you and everyone else on here.

Reality 2-0 Leeds both goals scores in the first 25 minute's.

Hoping for 0-1 Sara free kick

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

If we take the lead, no repeat of Leicester away please and sit back for the rest of the match. They are a passionate fan base but turn on their own players quickly. 

Pretty much this. Also agree with above that we can frustrate and get the home fans on their players backs.

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Fan of the year!

Watch when we're winning, we only watch when we're winning.

• Haha 1

12 arrests

And a draw at 90 then 119th min winner following the inevitable lapse; after 5 halves defending crushes us to a 1 - 0 home win.   Can't think of anything more norwich.

The difference will be the benches Leeds experienced and talented, Norwich not so much.  Need to be scoring at least 2 even then maybe not.  First goal will be important, if leeds early on we can give up early. 

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think we'll have to try and sit tight for the first 20 minutes at least, as they're bound to come out all guns blazing. 

I agree on the Tilly's point that it will be over if we go behind, but let's see if Wagner can either get us through to penalties or sneak one. If we do end up going to penalties I haven't a clue who will still be on the pitch at the end to take one other than Sara, and possibly Nunez. Gunn will have to be at his very best and luckiest for us to win.

3 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I was more excited watching the playoff games last season and seeing the blood and thunder and desire of each team to win, we just don't seem capable of coming up to that level.

This is the thing with Wagner's management, the style does not ever become truly expansive, if we do get a lead instead of starting to play like that he invariably gets a message on to the pitch to close things down. It really is damn hard to get excited watching Norwich ATM. Yet, we're one good performance away from Wembley, two good performances from getting promotion. I've just no idea how. A truly bizarre season, that just keeps going ....

• Like 2

I have an inkling this will be a much more open game in the end than the previous one. A straight shoot out in attack might be better for us than trying to get a second consecutive clean sheet (something we have only managed once this year IIRC)