Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Are there any domestic teams you actually like?

2 hours ago, Spillay said:

Sunderland, Newcastle, Napoli and Dortmund

Sunderland and Newcastle?! Wonder if there are Geordies / Mackems that like us and the binners!

Since domestic seems to now include foreign sides then: Watford, Nantes, Stuttgart, vitesse, fenerbahce,fiorentina, america de cali, pachucha, newells old boys, vasco de gama, fc seoul, atlético Madrid (anyone but Real really), brondby and a few more.

What do we like another team for? Their style of play? They win matches? The Club can communicate sensibly with their fans?

Clearly the latter is a big thing with me because NCFC have lost their way. Some of the smaller clubs do it so much better.

Perhaps another consideration is culture and geography. Two second tier clubs I follow to a degree in Spain are Elche and Cartagena. Could in some ways seem like Norwich and Cambridge then again there are also significant differences. Elche's footballing history is similar to NCFC. Their Club hymn which they sing the verses at the start of each match is something else with its references to the Dame of Elche (a very ancient archaeological find) and the Palmeral (The City's palm tree count of around 200,000 being about the same as it's population though the latter was very small little more than a century ago). The Stadium, dilapidated by our standards, was a 1982 World Cup venue. The view inside though is very panoramic even from the cheap seats. Ditto looking outside of the ground with the flat plains disappearing on the horizon.

Cartagena in contrast is a small ground rather like Cambridge United but with a mountain backdrop in a port city which the Spanish claim is the home of the submarine. The Club songs are far more basic. The City is hugely historic in an urban sense with a superb recently excavated Roman Amphitheatre dating back to the time of Christ.

Domestically, there aren't really any for me. I like to see King's Lynn do well as they're local, but that's about it. Maybe if I had to choose one at a push I'd go Port Vale, as I lived up that way for a few years and went to Vale Park a couple of times. I also had a mammoth Football Manager save with them on FM14 where I became the most successful manager of all time, but I wouldn't be arsed if they got relegated from League One this season.

Overseas, I've mentioned on here a few times that I'm also a Lecce fan. I had a season ticket for a few years when I lived out there and I still watch the vast majority of their games. I think I've only missed about six this season. 

2 hours ago, essex canary said:

Clearly the latter is a big thing with me because NCFC have lost their way. Some of the smaller clubs do it so much better

Cartagena in contrast is a small ground rather like Cambridge United but with a mountain backdrop in a port city which the Spanish claim is the home of the submarine. The Club songs are far more basic. The City is hugely historic in an urban sense with a superb recently excavated Roman Amphitheatre dating back to the time of Christ.

That's nearly as long as you've been railing against the injustices of life.

Infamy, infamy.......

13 hours ago, Canario said:

Sunderland and Newcastle?! Wonder if there are Geordies / Mackems that like us and the binners!

A guy I used to work with just loved watching football. He had season tickets at Carrow and Portman road and just cheered on the home team where he was sitting!

6 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

A guy I used to work with just loved watching football. He had season tickets at Carrow and Portman road and just cheered on the home team where he was sitting!

5 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

That's nearly as long as you've been railing against the injustices of life.

Infamy, infamy.......

6 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Luton hard done by by the fa.

Look for results from Cambridge York City and aldershot and because of Jeff Stelling you sent help having a soft spot for hartlepool.

Leyton Orient. London minnows swimming against the tide.

Had some good players too. Ian Bowyer,  Laurie Cunningham, Peter Kitchen, John Jackson, Barry Fairbrother.

1 hour ago, Old Shuck said:

Leyton Orient. London minnows swimming against the tide.

Had some good players too. Ian Bowyer,  Laurie Cunningham, Peter Kitchen, John Jackson, Barry Fairbrother.

Their best ever player voted by their supporters and with a Stand named after him, Tommy Johnston was also an ex canary.

As we're adding foreign sides.... 

Wimbledon 

FC saarbrucken ( FM save loyalty ) 

Fiorentina ( Grandmother came from Florence, really want to go there on a future holiday ) 

Real Madrid ( how can you not admire them, the galacticos etc. ) 

Tenerife ( first holiday abroad, and watched a game there while out there ) 

Hearts ( possibly a FIFA connection when I was kid 🤷 can't remember, maybe its just because they aren't Celtic or Rangers 🤣

Benfica ( another one I've visited, with a guy who used to work with me who was from Portugal and a die hard fan, was a great holiday and experience ) 

20 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

As we're adding foreign sides.... 

Wimbledon 

FC saarbrucken ( FM save loyalty ) 

Fiorentina ( Grandmother came from Florence, really want to go there on a future holiday ) 

Real Madrid ( how can you not admire them, the galacticos etc. ) 

Tenerife ( first holiday abroad, and watched a game there while out there ) 

Hearts ( possibly a FIFA connection when I was kid 🤷 can't remember, maybe its just because they aren't Celtic or Rangers 🤣

Benfica ( another one I've visited, with a guy who used to work with me who was from Portugal and a die hard fan, was a great holiday and experience ) 

I've been to Benfica too. Great stadium and loved the eagle mascot before the match.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2024 at 12:21, Google Bot said:

I've had a soft spot for Man Utd since the days of Beckham/Scholes/Ronaldo/Giggs and through watching Keane and Viera battling it out on the pitch, it's hard to watch those matches without some kind of bias forming and I think it's just stuck with me.  Fergie just delivered on entertainment and success.

The way you know if there's a team you like is if you'll always seek to watch or listen on the radio when they're playing, and United are like that for me.  But that's as far as it goes really. 

That said, i've watched Ipswich a lot this season, so maybe my logic is flawed!  😳

Do you live in Yarmouth?

• Haha 1

I usually hold positive’ish views about other teams if I’ve lived in an area and felt part of the community, and have got to know people. The exception being Gippeswyk where I lived for 3 years. 
I like going to Home Park when I lived in Stonehouse, Plymouth. I’ve lived near to Orient’s ground for nearly 30 years and go occasionally ( but I’ve never made the famous Supporters club with the best ale).

If we go by countries

England - Leeds (and later Spurs)

Spain - Real Sociedad and Valencia

Italy - Parma, Lazio 

Germany - Dortmund

France - Auxerre, Monaco

Netherlands - Ajax

Portugal - FC Porto

Most of these are connections I formed when I started to watch international football circa 96-97.

When I was young I had soft spots for Bournemouth and Huddersfield Town - don't anymore.

These days still look out for Cambridge's results even though Wes doesn't play for them anymore.

On 16/04/2024 at 10:24, paddycanary said:

Shamrock Rovers, Athletic Bilbao, Bayern Munich, Bari, Ajax.

The young lad supports Wellington Phoenix over in New Zealand.

Ask your lad about their (Wellington Phoenix) goalkeeper Paulsen I think his name is. We should definitely bring him here. The guy is so good - he'd solve any goalkeeping issues we have in one swoop !

On 15/04/2024 at 18:02, Iwans Big Toe said:

Oh and an honourable mention to Cambridge United. I have accompanied a friend there on several occasions as his carer.

Does he lost excessively on here? 

1 hour ago, LaUnionCanary said:

Does he lost excessively on here? 

I think it's normal to feel excessively lost on here at times.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Ask your lad about their (Wellington Phoenix) goalkeeper Paulsen I think his name is. We should definitely bring him here. The guy is so good - he'd solve any goalkeeping issues we have in one swoop !

Just asked him there now. Reckons you might well be right; recently won a hat-trick of player of the months and could be a great option. However he had a caveat about a similar kiwi goalkeeper who left and flopped so you never know.

5 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Some of you need to Google the term 'domestic' 😁

Not the divorcees in the SnakePit, obviously. 

• Haha 1

a couple I find non offensive but .... that can flip at a moments notice

On 18/04/2024 at 09:28, paddycanary said:

Just asked him there now. Reckons you might well be right; recently won a hat-trick of player of the months and could be a great option. However he had a caveat about a similar kiwi goalkeeper who left and flopped so you never know.

Paddy, your lad's not talking about Michael Theoklitoes is he ? Theoklitoes who played for us in 2009 is an Australian not a New Zealander. I know they are both from the Australian League, but Paulsen's a totally different kettle of fish. His positioning, handling and shot stopping is impeccable.   

Ebbsfleet United - it's a long story going back 17 years but I will be biting my nails watching their relegation battle on TNT Sport before we take on Brizzle City at the Carra on Saturday.

36 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Arbroath. We once bought some nice shortbread there

Given your last statement on another thread, are you sure the shortbread brought up north was "nice"? 😉