Posted (edited)

He gets plenty of criticism, so I think Wagner gets credit for today. He set us up to slow the game down and frustrate and the players delivered that very well.

In the second half, I'd been thinking to myself that I was almost afraid we might score too early and bring them back to life. When the goal did come, it did feel like Preston started coming back to life; I'm really glad it happened late, although I suspect that may have been by accident rather than design.

Hooijdonk's brief cameo, for all the running around, didn't suggest to me he's really ready to do a job yet, so using him as a time-wasting sub seemed pretty good. On the other hand, Rowe's introduction for the last 20 minutes seemed to come just when they were already losing a bit of steam; the moment he was  on, Preston seemed to back off immediately. As for Rowe, brilliant work rate and effect from the off.

Was hoping for a draw today, so this is epic. Especially with the other results in the league. Well done, Wagner, but especially well done Team for such determined defending in the first half especially.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 11

I thought we rode our luck - PNE really ought to have scored from the chances they had.....but we had chances too, but with a lot of poor finishing, many of our shots well off target.  Still managed more on target than Preston though and deserved the win in the end - but it could easily have gone the other way.  Rowe's introduction made all the difference, he is so lively on the ball.

The last half hour we were very comfortable and looked far more likely to win it. Great away support today too, chuffed for the fans. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

He gets plenty of criticism, so I think Wagner gets credit for today. He set us up to slow the game down and frustrate and the players delivered that very well.

In the second half, I'd been thinking to myself that I was almost afraid we might score too early and bring them back to life. When the goal did come, it did feel like Preston started coming back to life; I'm really glad it happened late, although I suspect that may have been by accident rather than design.

Hooijdonk's brief cameo, for all the running around, didn't suggest to me he's really ready to do a job yet, so using him as a time-wasting sub seemed pretty good. On the other hand, Rowe's introduction for the last 20 minutes seemed to come just when they were already losing a bit of steam; the moment he was  on, Preston seemed to back off immediately. As for Rowe, brilliant work rate and effect from the off.

Was hoping for a draw today, so this is epic. Especially with the other results in the league. Well done, Wagner, but especially well done Team for such determined defending in the first half especially.

It was well managed in that despite his previous tendencies he decided to actually keep our best player on the pitch (funny how Sarge was able to do 90 mins today)

football is indeed a simple game.  Me thinks Wagner finally realised the total disaster he created on Tuesday and even he knew not to do it again. So from that aspect well managed - pity about the other numerous matches we have thrown away 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, City Stand Ultra said:

It was well managed in that despite his previous tendencies he decided to actually keep our best player on the pitch (funny how Sarge was able to do 90 mins today)

football is indeed a simple game.  Me thinks Wagner finally realised the total disaster he created on Tuesday and even he knew not to do it again. So from that aspect well managed - pity about the other numerous matches we have thrown away 

I think that's excessively harsh about the other night given that the players must have been completely knackered from the derby effort only a few days before.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, City Stand Ultra said:

🤡

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think that's excessively harsh about the other night given that the players must have been completely knackered from the derby effort only a few days before.

By dropping Barnes.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, City Stand Ultra said:

Talk about faint praise!

Great win, tactics spot on. Rowe back and Sargent played nearly 90 mins and you have to come out will this negativity.

What is it? You need to be proven right that when Sargent went off against Wednesday Wagner lied to cover up his bad call rather than Sargent feeling his ankle? Sad.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

How we gonna fit Sainz, Rowe, Sara and Nunez in the same team ?

A nice problem to have. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I thought we rode our luck - PNE really ought to have scored from the chances they had.....but we had chances too, but with a lot of poor finishing, many of our shots well off target.  Still managed more on target than Preston though and deserved the win in the end - but it could easily have gone the other way.  Rowe's introduction made all the difference, he is so lively on the ball.

Most games can so easily go the other way though with chances and it all about tucking them away 

19 minutes ago, City Stand Ultra said:

Probably because he had half an hours rest on Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Drop Barnes

26 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

That’s a problem Wagner is dying to have.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BSEYELLOW said:

By dropping Barnes.  

Or, heaven forbid, having a genuine threat from the bench. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Or, heaven forbid, having a genuine threat from the bench. 

I'm not saying we should, but that's the only way to play all of those mentioned.  Sara in the hole, Sainz left, Rowe right, Nunez in CM

Yes, well managed, dominated possession. Their only real chances from set pieces. Frustrated them. Classic away performance.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Rowe instead of Barnes

1 hour ago, City Stand Ultra said:

In defence of Tuesday, remember that Sarge was touch and go for today-he is absolutely vital at the moment. Also yes he did 90 minutes, but we don’t have a midweek fixture this week. 

• Like 1

As much as I've been critical of Wagners approach away from home, I totally agree he got it right today 👍

24 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

In defence of Tuesday, remember that Sarge was touch and go for today-he is absolutely vital at the moment. Also yes he did 90 minutes, but we don’t have a midweek fixture this week. 

Absolutely! Seems obvious we are trying to manage his workload and recovery time. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mrD66M said:

Rowe instead of Barnes

Rowe will probably need to be eased in from the bench, even though he looked fully up for it today

Let Barnes do the dirty work first to pave the way for the greater degree of pace and skill that Rowe offers.

Also, starting with the Barnes/Sarge partnership is effective for now. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Absolutely! Seems obvious we are trying to manage his workload and recovery time. 

Do these players require extensive painkillers just to perform? I should know.

If so, I would expect them to be less detrimental to the body than when Ted MacDougall sensibly refused to be shielded by them.

If you disguise pain with injections of these drugs, then more harm than good can be done.  That's in intensive physical activity as far as I know.

The painkiller regime in sport will have improved beyond recognition since Ted's days, it doesn't mean that masking pain to play can be quite dangerous even though they can be more accurate and targetted.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Rowe should be the impact sub and Sara's better coming off the flank in that Buendia-esque position. That said, where's Kamara going to fit next season?

• Like 1

I would say this has been a well managed season. Injuries put paid to any auto challenge. But the way those injuries have been managed has brought about a play off challenge. I’ve praised the fitness of this squad for months but we should also praise the fitness team who have consistently got players back from injury early. Helped by the much derided ‘swimming pool’. And Wagner who has clearly stuck to the fitness plans which have given us every chance of some success at the end of this 46 game slog.

• Like 6

Agree I thought we managed that second half today as well as we have managed any game away from home this season. Nice also to be able to bring some pace and attacking threat off the bench rather than the substitutions making us less threatening. 

• Like 1

We always looked the better footballing side and deservedly won the game. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I would say this has been a well managed season. Injuries put paid to any auto challenge. But the way those injuries have been managed has brought about a play off challenge. I’ve praised the fitness of this squad for months but we should also praise the fitness team who have consistently got players back from injury early. Helped by the much derided ‘swimming pool’. And Wagner who has clearly stuck to the fitness plans which have given us every chance of some success at the end of this 46 game slog.

Yup. Listening to the CG on Radio Norfolk in the run up to the game, when he laid out just how bad we've had it on injuries, I thought that it's really quite remarkable we're in the fight at this point.