Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v 1p5wich Town

Posted (edited)

In days gone by I used to get very nervous before Derby games but over the years It has become easier thanks largely to our long period of dominance over them. At some stage it must come to an end as all good things inevitably do, but as biked down to the ground at today I had no feeling of impending doom. Indeed, it was a fine bright morning and conditions seemed set fair for a decent game.

The crowd was in good voice as the match got underway and City were the first to show, winning a corner on the left. The ball was cleared out to Sainz who could only volley wildly over the top. At the other end Town quickly won a corner of their own but it came to nothing. Both teams looked to keep things tight early on and consequently defences dominated and the was little in the way of goalmouth action. On balance the opening quarter of the game was closely fought but niether team committed much forward as the midfield play became littered with petty fouls. Both sides seemed to needlessly give the ball away and Duffy twice nearly blotted his copy book with silly passes out of defence.

Ref Mr Donahue, was probably sensible not to wave the yellow cards too early but he had no choice as we approached the half hour mark and Tuanzebe took Sargent out on the edge of the box after a neat through ball from Barnes. Tuanzebe was certainly the last man but despite the howls from the crowd and appeals from the home side the card was yellow not red. Nunez tried to hit a low free kick under the wall but it was blocked for a corner.

City kept the pressure on and it was Nunez again as 1p5wich got bodies in the way. Then the Town keeper had to punch away from almost under the bar and it was Sainz this time who couldn't get his shot past a mass of bodies in the six yard box. It was the best period of home pressure in the match and you felt that we needed to make it count and as Sargent was fouled centrally and about thirty yards out the opportunity came. It looked a bit far out for a shot on target but as the visitors formed a line, NUNEZ hit a swerving effort that bounced before beating Hladky and going in off the inside of the post. It was a deserved lead as City had started to look dangerous since the half hour while 1p5witch had still not managed anything resembling a meaningful shot on goal. They did start to push forward a bit more but a couple of catches by Gunn was all it needed to steer the home side through to a half time lead.

CITY 1 1P5WICH 0

I thought 1p5wich might have been more up for it and for a team on top of the league I didn't feel they offered much in the first half and expected to be a bit more under pressure when the teams restarted. They had a decent bit of possession but still nothing to trouble Gunn while whenever the home side moved forward they looked the sharper outfit. A nice ball from McCallum flicked off Sainz's back and fell kindly for the little winger but he could only lift the ball over the advancing keeper but comfortably wide of the post. Barnes was alone in the middle of the penalty area and made his displeasure know in no uncertain terms.

The visitors now began to lift some high balls in for Moore but Duffy was equal to it and Gunn was not stretched as a ball looped goalward. Then finally a shot came in on target but it was straight at Gunn who fielded it comfortably. As the visitors pushed further forward the gaps opened up at the back and suddenly Sargent was in a race with defenders and got of a shot that Hladky had to go to ground to save. Then it was Sargent through again only to be closed down by two defenders and from my end it looked like foul as he was upended on the edge of the box but again Mr Donahue was unmoved despite appeals.

In the stands the confidence began to grow as rounds of OTBC and Yellows Yellows rang round the ground. With fifteen minutes left Barnes went off to loud applause and Gibbs came on to replace him. 1p5witch rang some changes also and although they buzzed around our area for a bit they didn't really create much danger. Stacey who had been a live wire all day, received great applause as he broke from defence and nearly ran the length of the field before being disposessed.

Chaplin skyed a shot over from a neat ball from the left and then Al Hamidi went down on the edge of the box in a foot race with Gibson but again Mr Donahue wasn't buying today. Then there was a near thing as Harness found a bit of space in the box but Gibbs was on hand to scoop the ball away. Despite this late pressure I didn't feel that 1p5wich had it in them as every City free kick, goal kick and throw in was cheered to the rafters and the five minutes added time ran out without any serious alarms.

As I rode home the bells of St Giles on the Hill were ringing out and I couldn't help but think how lucky we are to have witnessed this long period of dominance over the old enemy and what a pleasure it is to keep putting a spoke in their wheel.

Stacey my MOM today. An absolutely towering performance.

CITY 1 1P5WICH 0.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 16

Posted (edited)

Great report and agree the crowd really got behind the team - Stacey was brilliant and was the birthday boy

Edited by Helsinki canary
  • Thanks 1

Completely agree withStacey MoM, but for the first 15 mins or so he was panicky on the ball. But when he calmed down he was outstanding. I should think Mrs Stacey will find Leif Davis in Jack's shorts this evening

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ricardo said:

In days gone by I used to get very nervous before Derby games but over the years It has become easier thanks largely to our long period of dominance over them. At some stage it must come to an end as all good things inevitably do, but as biked down to the ground at today I had no feeling of impending doom. Indeed, it was a fine bright morning and conditions seemed set fair for a decent game.

The crowd was in good voice as the match got underway and City were the first to show, winning a corner on the left. The ball was cleared out to Sainz who could only volley wildly over the top. At the other end Town quickly won a corner of their own but it came to nothing. Both teams looked to keep things tight early on and consequently defences dominated and the was little in the way of goalmouth action. On balance the opening quarter of the game was closely fought but niether team committed much forward as the midfield play became littered with petty fouls. Both sides seemed to needlessly give the ball away and Duffy twice nearly blotted his copy book with silly passes out of defence.

Ref Mr Donahue, was probably sensible not to wave the yellow cards too early but he had no choice as we approached the half hour mark and Tuanzebe took Sargent out on the edge of the box after a neat through ball from Barnes. Tuanzebe was certainly the last man but despite the howls from the crowd and appeals from the home side the card was yellow not red. Nunez tried to hit a low free kick under the wall but it was blocked for a corner.

City kept the pressure on and it was Nunez again as 1p5wich got bodies in the way. Then the Town keeper had to punch away from almost under the bar and it was Sainz this time who couldn't get his shot past a mass of bodies in the six yard box. It was the best period of home pressure in the match and you felt that we needed to make it count and as Sargent was fouled centrally and about thirty yards out the opportunity came. It looked a bit far out for a shot on target but as the visitors formed a line, NUNEZ hit a swerving effort that bounced before beating Hladky and going in off the inside of the post. It was a deserved lead as City had started to look dangerous since the half hour while 1p5witch had still not managed anything resembling a meaningful shot on goal. They did start to push forward a bit more but a couple of catches by Gunn was all it needed to steer the home side through to a half time lead.

CITY 1 1P5WICH 0

I thought 1p5wich might have been more up for it and for a team on top of the league I didn't feel they offered much in the first half and expected to be a bit more under pressure when the teams restarted. They had a decent bit of possession but still nothing to trouble Gunn while whenever the home side moved forward they looked the sharper outfit. A nice ball from McCallum flicked off Sainz's back and fell kindly for the little winger but he could only lift the ball over the advancing keeper but comfortably wide of the post. Barnes was alone in the middle of the penalty area and made his displeasure know in no uncertain terms.

The visitors now began to lift some high balls in for Moore but Duffy was equal to it and Gunn was not stretched as a ball looped goalward. Then finally a shot came in on target but it was straight at Gunn who fielded it comfortably. As the visitors pushed further forward the gaps opened up at the back and suddenly Sargent was in a race with defenders and got of a shot that Hladky had to go to ground to save. Then it was Sargent through again only to be closed down by two defenders and from my end it looked like foul as he was upended on the edge of the box but again Mr Donahue was unmoved despite appeals.

In the stands the confidence began to grow as rounds of OTBC and Yellows Yellows rang round the ground. With fifteen minutes left Barnes went off to loud applause and Gibbs came on to replace him. 1p5witch rang some changes also and although they buzzed around our area for a bit they didn't really create much danger. Stacey who had been a live wire all day, received great applause as he broke from defence and nearly ran the length of the field before being disposessed.

Chaplin skyed a shot over from a neat ball from the left and then Al Hamidi went down on the edge of the box in a foot race with Gibson but again Mr Donahue wasn't buying today. Then there was a near thing as Harness found a bit of space in the box but Gibbs was on hand to scoop the ball away. Despite this late pressure I didn't feel that 1p5wich had it in them as every City free kick, goal kick and throw in was cheered to the rafters and the five minutes added time ran out without any serious alarms.

As I rode home the bells of St Giles on the Hill were ringing out and I couldn't help but think how lucky we are to have witnessed this long period of dominance over the old enemy and what a pleasure it is to keep putting a spoke in their wheel.

CITY 1 1P5WICH 0.

Źzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lacking quality, long range hit, poor keeping, even worse referring ! 

Just now, JUBWICKS75 said:

Źzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If you dont like whats posted on here, run along, loser

1 minute ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

Źzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So which match were you watching? Not the one at Carrow Road obviously.

7 minutes ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

Źzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

They should put you lot in a zoo, absolute state of the lot of you.

7 minutes ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

Źzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oi **** bubble Argie

BASURA PAPELERA

I was surprised how poor Ipswich were. 

Plymouth were comfortably better and had more noisier fans.

Carrow Rd rocked.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

Źzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You're having an absolute shocker on here tonight, even by your subterranean standards. Would suggest you leave this site and see if you can find some black-and-white footage somewhere on the internet of your lot winning an East Anglian derby

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let's be honest they were like a rabbits in the headlights. No great surprise they haven't troubled the top sides all season. 

Either that or they completely bottled it and underperformed. Could have played until next week and they wouldn't have scored 

They'd be troubling Derby's record if they manage to sneak up

18 minutes ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

Źzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ahhh, ok loads too many beers… your talking about Ip$hite 

If the other Binner pedant is out they’re - I know it’s YOU’RE.. 

23 minutes ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

Źzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Your report compared to Ricardo’s is about on par with the difference between the two teams today. 

• Like 5

Not actually convinced that it was poor goalkeeping. Nunez got that free-kick to swing more than anything Wasim Akram ever sent down in his whole damned career.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

Źzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But what about Norwich?

3 hours ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

Źzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Always a thick (pretend) binner to quote so as to clog up the thread.  The idea being that if you post really stupid stuff we will think you really are a binner, much like Keith Snot and Pig Mince. All very sad really.

Thought we played quite well, I think Ipswich's late heroics and going to the well against Southampton last time out caught up with them a bit here. They displayed a fair few signs of being a bit leggy, a half-yard slower in thought and execution than usual and throw in that we were clearly fired up and on it from the very start, that exaggerated it.

A deserved win for us, we kept the pressure on and forced them to work.

Not sure where else to post this- having watched McKenna's post match on the Pinkun YouTube I have to say, I didn't realise he was such a sour little goblin.

I much prefer Ricardo's version.

• Haha 1

On 06/04/2024 at 17:04, ricardo said:

CITY 1 1P5WICH 0

CITY 1 1P5WICH 0.

Thanks Ricardo. A thoroughly enjoyable read. I have to say your state of serenity as kick-off approached was in sharp contrast to my own feeling of foreboding. I’m glad my sense of uneasiness was so misplaced. 

• Thanks 1

On 06/04/2024 at 17:49, Capt. Pants said:

I was surprised how poor Ipswich were. 

Plymouth were comfortably better and had more noisier fans.

Carrow Rd rocked.

Think the Anglican nuns 5 a side team fans would have made more noise than the binners did!

5 minutes ago, Vegueros said:

Thanks Ricardo. A thoroughly enjoyable read. I have to say your state of serenity as kick-off approached was in sharp contrast to my own feeling of foreboding. I’m glad my sense of uneasiness was so misplaced. 

I think its an age thing mate. You slowly come to realise that all that pent up tension and worry is just a waste of energy. I used to deal with it by little rituals that I hoped would make a difference. Wearing some lucky item of clothing or going in a certain turnstile. In the end you have to accept that what will be will be, and just try to enjoy the moment.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

I think its an age thing mate. You slowly come to realise that all that pent up tension and worry is just a waste of energy. I used to deal with it by little rituals that I hoped would make a difference. Wearing some lucky item of clothing or going in a certain turnstile. In the end you have to accept that what will be will be, and just try to enjoy the moment.

I think you might be right Ricardo. I was very calm on Saturday, the nerves only really kicked in a bit when the 5 minutes of added time was announced, only because Ippo have been scoring late, late goals.

I would also like to use your thread to take credit (jointly with the chap that sits next to me) for our goal. I have been hearing about this "visualisation" thing. When the free kick was given I said to him "this is going in, I am visualising it", he agreed and we "visualised" together, he said it would be a "Nunez wobbler" and so it came tp pass.

We tried to "visualise" a second goal but for some reason it did not work, maybe the 4G/5G/wifi or something was not working properly 😀...............

• Haha 2