Rhino1

Not having a go - is unacceptable!!

I have defended the Norwich city management team for the whole of the season, but today it was simply unacceptable. Parking the bus was fundamentally the wrong approach!! 

Leicester were woefully short of confidence coming into the game. A defence with errors in it, and we decide to park the bus! Dreadful tactical error - it was only a matter of time, for them to score.

A disgrace manager! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

He has what I call Southanpton mode which is like we played at home to Southampton earlier this season. He’s willing and able to get his players to just surrender and that makes me worry for next weekend.

Completely agree. If he can’t find a set of balls to have a go in games like this there is no point in getting a play off position. What does he think will happen in the 1st leg? The tie will be over 

Just now, The Real Buh said:

He has what I call Southanpton mode which is like we played at home to Southampton earlier this season. He’s willing and able to get his players to just surrender and that makes me worry for next weekend.

Totally agree. Against Southampton he got away with it leading some on here to hail it as a 'master class' performance. Today he repeated it and, predictably, lost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Virtual reality said:

What does he think will happen in the 1st leg?

Take the point but the first leg of any play off we are in will be at home. 

woeful performance. Agree go one up and then just switch off but never really tried.  IF we attacked we could have had 3 points.  We always see to leave clever wide men with all the space you just have to defend from edge of penalty area to side line. Crazy iddea to leave them free.

• Like 2

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

Take the point but the first leg of any play off we are in will be at home. 

For some reason I thought it was away leg 1st for the lower places team! Point still stands though. At some point he has to have faith in this team to go out and compete against these teams 

• Like 1

Imo we should have started Fassi ahead of Barnes, to free up Sainz and give Sam some protection.  Leicester are a top aide at this level but we gave them too much easy possession.

Is this the same Rhino who has criticised the fans for being critical of such tactics? Is this your April Fool? 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Totally agree. Against Southampton he got away with it leading some on here to hail it as a 'master class' performance. Today he repeated it and, predictably, lost.

The worry is there is very little tactical astuteness when we go defensive. He just sticks everyone behind the ball. No evidence of a press

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Is this the same Rhino who has criticised the fans for being critical of such tactics? Is this your April Fool? 

Have you crept from out of your stone? A good percentage of the fans were being **** at that point, as we didn’t have the players fit! This was just negative cowardice, with the players ! 

7 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Yeah but he's not having a go though.. 

• Haha 1

Way too passive. Leicester were not great but we didn’t seem like we wanted to give them a game. 

22 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

The Foxes have had a poor run of performances....then, along come Norwich....

Just had to happen..

Were you Big Keith Scott or Big Vince? We can't decide. 6/10 for effort whatever. Which is more than the team did.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, duke63 said:

Way too passive. Leicester were not great but we didn’t seem like we wanted to give them a game. 

We made them look good. The worrying aspect for me is that Wagner had no idea how to stem the tide. Ndidi kept drifting in between Gibson and McCallum, Gibson was more concerned in covering Duffy, who was marking Leicester's poorest player Daka which meant McCallum felt the need to step inside leaving acres for Fatawu. Was plain to see, except for Wagner. Clearly not going to get tactics right all the time, but when they don't work he is paid to concoct plan B, C and D. Plan A clearly didn't work and there was no back up

Edited by Don’t be Krul

4 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

One things for sure. Mark Robins will have been rubbing his hands at that result and abject performance. 

Perhaps Robins is bobbins?

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

Play like that against Ipswich and even if we aren’t losing the crowd will be baying for Wagner’s head.

As long as some people can have a pint for 6 quid and a grey hotdog at the lion and castle that’s all that really matters to some.

some of our fans are prepping for a full on nights sleep totally interrupted if we lose to Ipswich. Not a single wink lost. They’d only lose sleep if they have to pay to park.

As just mentioned on the Ipswich v Southampton match on Sky. Big managers make big decisions in order to try and win a match. Something that Wagner can never be accused of, unfortunately. 

It's a shame for Wagner as he's a decent chap but if we do lose to that lot nothing less than promotion will keep his job as the crowd will turn big time.

I just can't see how playing two up top but having neither of those as an outlet when we sat back made any sense.  It just allows the opposition to squeeze, and it was obvious what was coming.   Very sad to see us play in that fashion, I could understand it if we're giving them something to think about when we break - but we were just handing them possession.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I just can't see how playing two up top but having neither of those as an outlet when we sat back made any sense.  It just allows the opposition to squeeze, and it was obvious what was coming.   Very sad to see us play in that fashion, I could understand it if we're giving them something to think about when we break - but we were just handing them possession.

This is how I feel also. The best part of an hour of today's game was played with 21 players in our half, always going to be hard to keep defending like that.

I'm never one to back gung-ho attack-at-all-costs mode, but I feel this group just lacks the conviction for extended defending. It always makes us look considerably worse. After getting the first goal it feels like we very much let them off the hook today.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Rhino1 said:

I have defended the Norwich city management team for the whole of the season, but today it was simply unacceptable. Parking the bus was fundamentally the wrong approach!! 

Leicester were woefully short of confidence coming into the game. A defence with errors in it, and we decide to park the bus! Dreadful tactical error - it was only a matter of time, for them to score.

A disgrace manager! 

Yes you’re quite right. We were playing away at a team with probably the strongest squad in the division. They have a game in hand on Leeds  and Ipswich and if they win that they will be top. It’s obviously unacceptable that we didn’t go there and batter them 5-0!

Edited by Commonsense
Spelling
  • Like 2

Couldn't watch yesterday but sounds like the Southampton (h) game but with less success.

Seems to me that it's all or nothing with Wagner (or this group of players, or both). Either we play that very attacking formation with both full backs pushing on, which makes us a real threat but highly vulnerable to the counter, or we sit back in a low block and hope for the best. Ideally, we'd have a middle ground where we defend effectively and pose a threat on the counter, but for some reason we can't find that happy medium. I asked this question a while back and the only reply I got was that we don't really have the pace in the team to achieve that.

To be honest, over a Championship season I'm not sure it's an issue. The attacking approach has worked against most teams, in that it's got us into the top six, and I think it's reasonable to assume that without such back luck with injuries, we might be more comfortably there. We won the title last time without beating any of the relegated sides - it's quite possible to have a good season without managing to beat the other best teams, as Ipswich have found this season: wasn't yesterday their first win against a team in the top six?

But it's clear to me that there's a gap between us and Leeds and Leicester. When we really had a go at Leeds, in the home game, they picked us off pretty easily. I know we went 2-0 up, but I'm not sure anyone in the ground thought we'd win from that position. We were pretty conservative in the away game and that didn't work either.

And the two Southampton games are similarly illustrative. We were very gung-ho in the away game, very cautious in the home game - and the result was basically the same.

Not sure what the conclusion is. Perhaps we could have been more attacking yesterday, and it's certainly the case that given their recent form there would have been a lack of confidence to exploit, but I'm not convinced it would have delivered a greatly different result in the end.

Purposefully refrained from reading much on here post the game as it's always a little OTT and silly, particular with Wagner in charge, where fans who were wrong about him are twisting as much as possible to ensure they're still right, somehow.

Anyway...

I thought Leicester were good. I thought they were in control both before and after our goal. They have quality in pretty much every position.

I don't think we set up "too" negatively. People seem to confuse set-up with outcome. They're different and there's 22 players on the pitch that impact it.

We still tried to have the full-backs high.

We still kept Nunez, Sara, Sainz, Barnes and Sargent in the starting 11.

We still started Sorensen for his ball-playing ability, over Duffy.

The problem was not only are Leicester's wide players some of the best in the league (potentially the best), but their central midfield are excellent too. In reality too good for this level. 

So we had some excellent wingers vs our incredibly high full-backs. Eventually we had to concede that a bit, or it could have become a cricket score. Of course we naturally sat a bit deeper and more compact anyway.

Losing Sorensen to injury wasn't ideal. McCallum vs Gianoullis has been a debate but one thing Gini can do is dribble out of the opponents press - Sam can't. We lost a lot of ability to play through the press with a rusty Duffy. Mclean and Nunez were poor and didn't offer enough rotation to help.

Bad day at the office, but I don't think it was down to a simply "negative" manager - both coach and manager have said the intention was to be on the ball, aggressively, a lot more.

• Like 3