Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Today's Ref

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

I had a pretty good view of the 'dive' and I'm sure there was contact. Sainz also handled in our box and McLean had previously been penalised for an identical infringement further up the pitch. As the game went on he gave more and more to us, seeming to book Plymouth players for every foul. He was a proper homer. 

Utter nonsense. All the bookings of their players which he gave for fouls were nailed on. The ones for dissent we have to assume that he got right as none of us could hear what the Plymouth players actually said.

15 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Utter nonsense. All the bookings of their players which he gave for fouls were nailed on. The ones for dissent we have to assume that he got right as none of us could hear what the Plymouth players actually said.

As I said earlier it’s all about opinions . But if a poster has seen contact here , specsavers are doing a 2 for 1 deal at the moment 

4 hours ago, Petriix said:

By "best" you mean kindest to us. If I was a Plymouth supporter I'd be fuming. 

Hmmm, was thinking this, but can’t think of many if any decisions he actually got wrong, possibly gave yellows for some fouls which I might’ve expected were solely infringements ….

In my opinion there's clear contact. Maybe Gunn did pull his leg away at the last moment, but he's slid in and got nowhere near the ball.

513569750_Screenshot_20240329_225819_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.8ace53daf4bea3ac1ef88660237007f3.jpg

• Haha 2

He left his leg trailing for about 9minutes. He was looking for it. Right decision. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Petriix said:

I had a pretty good view of the 'dive' and I'm sure there was contact. Sainz also handled in our box and McLean had previously been penalised for an identical infringement further up the pitch. As the game went on he gave more and more to us, seeming to book Plymouth players for every foul. He was a proper homer. 

Binner

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

But it's the rule isn't it? If a player needs treatment for an injury he subsequently has to go off for 30 seconds. It was unfortunate for them no doubt, because the defender had been punched in the head by his own keeper - but the ref applied the rule.

I remember many years ago Malky and Fleming both had to go off at the same time while a corner was taken. Can't remember the outcome though.

4 hours ago, skittles said:

He left his leg trailing for about 9minutes. He was looking for it. Right decision. 

Ref got it spot on. Clearly the guy is looking for it and deserves a booking 

5 hours ago, skittles said:

This. There was contact, but the Plymouth player deliberately made it happen. There was a replay on Canaries TV as soon as it happened and it’s clear to see as Gunny brought his legs in and pulled back as best he could.

9 hours ago, Petriix said:

It was a dive, he was already going to ground before Gunn was making the minimal contact. Barnes got mauled by two defenders in the box, but stayed on his feet. That should have been a pen. Houghton and Sorinola were lucky to not get 2nd yellows, especially the trip from behind in the 2nd half.

8 hours ago, Petriix said:

In my opinion there's clear contact. Maybe Gunn did pull his leg away at the last moment, but he's slid in and got nowhere near the ball.

513569750_Screenshot_20240329_225819_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.8ace53daf4bea3ac1ef88660237007f3.jpg

10/10 for trying . 
“Clear contact” is not an opinion, it’s a fact. And there isn’t “clear contact” even in the one frame you have highlighted. 

I think we’ve done this to death now. 

Posted (edited)

The angle from behind that isn’t shown in this clip but was shown on a replay on the stream I watched shows that there wasn’t any contact at all. Gunn pulled his leg away and the lad has left his there looking for contact that didn’t come and then thrown himself over. Even the Plymouth fans are saying it’s a dive 

Edited by Virtual reality

45 minutes ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

the ref did well, 

on another day with another ref Gunn gets a red and we go into the next games with Long in goal

Even if a pen were given then there's not a ref in the land that would have given a red! The ball was heading out of play and it in no way was a goal scoring opportunity...

To be fair Gunn has made a the lightest of touches. It is the striker who has got it wrong he runs towards the ball which is the wrong call (if looking for the penalty) Gunn was never getting there and he should have got himself between the ball and Gunn. The contact would then have been more pronounced then.

Fair play to the ref for the card many a time the refs forget they can book players for simulation.

I’ve never said it before, but impressive refereeing. Unlike all the others, he correctly gave yellow cards for the first deliberate foul regardless of the minute which meant that Plymouth couldn’t keep doing this throughout the match. Another great decision was giving Stacey a free kick when he was knocked off balance outside the box but tried to stay on his feet so fell down a second or so later. All other referees seem to punish players for trying to stay on their feet. Re the penalty it was a great call as the Plymouth player instigated contact, but I was surprised as this is always given as a penalty, even after VAR. It’s the sort of non award that I’d hope VAR would have solved, but of course has made it worse by encouraging players to make contact. 

• Like 2

With our second goal, their players goes down, the keeper asks the ref for the trainer who signals for him. I think it's then their #4 who realises this will mean the player will have to go off and starts trying to stop it happening. Even trying to physically push him back off the pitch.

Gamesmanship done wrong and refereeing done right (I say this not having seen a replay, in fairness, from where I was sitting it looked like opportunistic feigning of injury)

14 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Pretty sure the keeper called the trainer on - or at least got the ref to - but once he’s on it is correct that the guy goes off for the 30 seconds.  It’s not the ref’s fault.  I think he had a decent game. 

Totally agree. Their player went down like he’d been shot, keeper called on the trainer. It seemed to me it was of a piece with several other ‘incidents of exaggeration’ by their players, where they sought some kind of advantage or delay. On this occasion, it backfired on them big time, and I for one enjoyed it immensely. 

• Like 1

The other point was the adding of time, where he pointed to his watch several times when Argyle were clearly slowing things down. Although we'd got in front towards the end of the match, those 7 minutes gave Argyle the chance to rescue a point but we handled it better than we had done in the past.  

1 hour ago, Jezzard said:

I’ve never said it before, but impressive refereeing. Unlike all the others, he correctly gave yellow cards for the first deliberate foul regardless of the minute which meant that Plymouth couldn’t keep doing this throughout the match. Another great decision was giving Stacey a free kick when he was knocked off balance outside the box but tried to stay on his feet so fell down a second or so later. All other referees seem to punish players for trying to stay on their feet. Re the penalty it was a great call as the Plymouth player instigated contact, but I was surprised as this is always given as a penalty, even after VAR. It’s the sort of non award that I’d hope VAR would have solved, but of course has made it worse by encouraging players to make contact. 

I totally agree with all of that. The Stacey one was something you never see. I was happy with all the decisions really, I just thought we got the majority of the marginal decisions. 

I thought he was very good and I’ll be the absolute first tot slate a ref. He let the game flow for the most part.

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

With our second goal, their players goes down, the keeper asks the ref for the trainer who signals for him. I think it's then their #4 who realises this will mean the player will have to go off and starts trying to stop it happening. Even trying to physically push him back off the pitch.

Gamesmanship done wrong and refereeing done right (I say this not having seen a replay, in fairness, from where I was sitting it looked like opportunistic feigning of injury)

Yes that’s what I saw except it was their number 8 doing the arguing ( I think)

their keeper did take the player out

The Ref got most things right apart from not giving a couple of their players a second yellow

I hate this trialling Leg thing.. It's their player initiating the contact. Vardy is another idiot that tries this all the time.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, skittles said:

This exactly, he was starting to dive before there was any sign of contact and as already said, Gunn had clearly pulled out and if there was any contact it was tiny and the player had left his leg there to be clipped - ref got it spot on

Edited by Helsinki canary

12 hours ago, Petriix said:

As you can see by the laughing face emoji, Plymouth fans also think it was a clear dive.

I thought he was a bit too quick to book Plymouth players at one point, but he didn't book them for time-wasting which was apparent as soon as they scored so that likely evens itself out.

48 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I totally agree with all of that. The Stacey one was something you never see. I was happy with all the decisions really, I just thought we got the majority of the marginal decisions. 

Tbh I thought initially that the ref had penalised Stacey for simulation and from Stacey’s reaction I think he thought the same.