Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Plymouth predictions

What we thinking? Another home win or along came Norwich?

Does feel like a bit of a banana skin match.. More so given how we did against them much earlier in the season!

They're not in great form and possibly still adapting to a new manager, but they will be fighting for their lives a bit so I don't expect an easy game. At the same time, I'd hope a few in our ranks are thinking "revenge" and will take any opportunity that arises to push them onto the back foot.

Think we'll have a scare or two along the way as Plymouth are not afraid to attack and Morgan Whittaker is in fine form this season, but if we keep him quiet we should win with a bit to spare.

3-1 would be my guess.

Given upcoming fixtures this will be a case of controlling the game in a thoroughly professional way and hopefully allow for a few resting subs during the 2nd half. Who knows SVH might even get 10 mins!

3-1 with late Plymouth consolation.

• Like 1

Always hard to say after an international break, we've been superb at home but who knows if we still have the rhythm and momentum after 2 weeks off. Bit of a potential banana skin game this playing a lower side in poor form at home before a couple of huge games but I think we'll win 2-1 despite it being an uncomfortable afternoon with Plymouth scoring first, it just has that kinda feel about it for me. 

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Bit of a potential banana skin game

Just on a point of order, the concept of potentiality is already contained within the image of the banana skin, it being something you might slip on. If we win easily, the game will still have been a banana skin, just one we didn't slip on. Describing it as a potential banana skin gets us into dangerous metaphysical territory, making the intrinsic potentiality of the banana skin simultaneously contingent, so that the very existence of the metaphorical banana skin enters into some kind of quantum realm.

So on balance, I think it's safer to just call it a 'banana skin game', because footballers and metaphysics have been uncomfortable bedfellows since the death of Albert Camus and the retirement of Eric Cantona.

Oh yeah, and I think we'll win comfortably.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
edited to make slightly more impenetrable
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Just on a point of order, the concept of potentiality is already contained within the image of the banana skin, it being something you might slip on. If we win easily, the game will still have been a banana skin, just one we didn't slip on. Describing it as a potential banana skin gets us into dangerous metaphysical territory, making the intrinsic potentiality of the banana skin simultaneously contingent, so that the very existence of the metaphorical banana skin enters into some kind of quantum realm.

So on balance, I think it's safer to just call it a 'banana skin game', because footballers and metaphysics have been uncomfortable bedfellows since the death of Albert Camus and the retirement of Eric Cantona.

We're playing the Pilgrims, not the bloody Seagulls. 😉

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Ah, but what if it were a metaphorical banana skin, not a real one? Does what you say still count? 😉 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Ah, but what if it were a metaphorical banana skin, not a real one? Does what you say still count? 😉 

Be careful. Do you really want me to answer that question?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I think you’ve been smoking those banana skins 😳

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What we thinking? Another home win or along came Norwich?

Does feel like a bit of a banana skin match.. More so given how we did against them much earlier in the season!

What do YOU think ?

2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I think you’ve been smoking those banana skins 😳

I tried to, but I slipped on one.

OR DID I?

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

What do YOU think ?

Whatever the consensus is just before kick off 🤣

• Haha 1

I love the idea of a Schrodinger's Banana Skin which simultaneously does and doesn't exist. 

As for the game, here's my guess: Bali Mumba scores a first-half hat-trick (against the run of play). Stuart Webber is force to march around the pitch naked at half time while Ben Knapper follows behind shouting "shame" repeatedly. Mark Attanasio's takeover is confirmed with the club being rebranded as The Anglia Phoenix. Sargent is subbed off after 60 minutes to resounding cheers and chants of "you do know what you're doing". McLean scores a stoppage time equaliser to make it 6-6.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Bali Mumba scores a first-half hat-trick (against the run of play)

What's impressive is that due to Mumba being suspended this is actually the least likely to happen out of the list of predictions you've made! 🙂

• Haha 2

When we got stuffed by ColU we responded superbly in the return fixture and would have eradicated the goals deficit had it not been for a missed pen.

With that in mind, I’m going for 0-4 because Wanger isn’t Lambert and we don’t have the holy trinity of Holt, Hoolahan and Martin. We don’t even have Oli Johnson on the bench. 

The ref is James Linnington (sp?). Checked out our stats with him in charge - 40+ points over about 22 games. He's even awarded us quite a few pens. - i think it was 6. Must go back a bit  Have we even had that many in the last 3-4 years.  Nothing untoward in the presser, although Josh, Nunez (tired) and Grant (longer term) are slight concerns. Assumig no last minute absentees, Forshaw fit is my only remaining nigglling worry.

3-1 including a pen. to us. 

After Webber's latest gaffe and the philosophical discussion about banana skins, I am pleased that we have some football to discuss!

A comfortable 3-0 win today.

OTBC