Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

With Onel out for the rest of the season..

Whos replacing him? Rowe is still out for another month most likely, Plachetas been sold, Fash is rather hot and cold..

Time for Aboh to be in the team?

EDIT: Nevermind Gibbs on the wing it is

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

It should open up a spot on the bench for one of the academy lads at least, whether they'll get on is another question of course. If you're looking for a wide option I think I'd prefer them to choose Welch over Aboh as he is a better fit in that position. Obviously if we're still making a push to convince Aboh to stay then he might get priority.

Maybe time to consider whether Fisher could play that role. He's actually looked better going forward than in defence.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, repman said:

It should open up a spot on the bench for one of the academy lads at least, whether they'll get on is another question of course. If you're looking for a wide option I think I'd prefer them to choose Welch over Aboh as he is a better fit in that position. Obviously if we're still making a push to convince Aboh to stay then he might get priority.

Probably a 2nd goalkeeper knowing Wagner 🤣🤣

Stacey should cover that position, as he's got the drive, eager to track back and defend and capable of great delivery.  Plus played there for Bournemouth.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 2

Always a worry when a coach talks about a player fitting into a position "...if need be".

It's like having a leak your ceiling but, if need be, you can put a bucket under it.

Does a job but you'd rather not have the problem in the first place.

Edited by Old Shuck

45 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Fassnacht and Sainz I suspect. Losing Rowe and Onel long term is a big, big blow. But that's football unfortunately. 

6 months ago I would have agreed with you, but Onel looked REALLY out of sorts on Saturday, like he hated the rest of the team and the feeling was entirely mutual. If that is the case and he's unsettled/unhappy, a break might not be the worst thing to happen now for the longer term benefit.

29 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

Always a worry when a coach talks about a player fitting into a position "...if need be".

It's like having a leak your ceiling but, if need be, you can put a bucket under it.

Does a job but you'd rather not have the problem in the first place.

Yes - agreed. Gibbs played some cameos upfront even when Fassnacht and Argos were available so it's perfectly conceivable that Wagner would play him out wide!! 

25 minutes ago, Bobzilla said:

6 months ago I would have agreed with you, but Onel looked REALLY out of sorts on Saturday, like he hated the rest of the team and the feeling was entirely mutual. If that is the case and he's unsettled/unhappy, a break might not be the worst thing to happen now for the longer term benefit.

You've clearly not watched any of his Youtube videos. He's always laughing and joking around with the team and he spends most of the time outside of matches hanging around with Nunez who's clearly become his best friend

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Yes - agreed. Gibbs played some cameos upfront even when Fassnacht and Argos were available so it's perfectly conceivable that Wagner would play him out wide!! 

Gibbs in for Onel would free up his regular spot on the bench for a second keeper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hanley, Kenny & Gibbo at the back, stacey and mccallum wide, gibbs & sara in the midfield with Barnes and Sainz just behind Sarge. Job done. 🤣

Welch & Myles probably the most likely to step onto the bench. Aboh you would hope is making progress towards staying also.

As an aside, a rare direct criticism from me-I feel that the management of Gibbs has been extremely poor over the past 18 months.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pyro Pete said:

McLean has yet to play on the wing this season.

Sorensen: “hold my beer”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wing backs are an option with 3 at the back. If anything our full backs are more suited to that role

Gunn

Hanley  Gibson McLean

Stacey          Nunez         Giannoulis

Sainz          Sara

Sargent      Barnes

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Maybe time to consider whether Fisher could play that role. He's actually looked better going forward than in defence.

Wroxham

Sorry for Onel, but more importantly no Nacho for Sunderland! Surely that's the bigger news today? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Wing backs are an option with 3 at the back. If anything our full backs are more suited to that role

Gunn

Hanley  Gibson McLean

Stacey          Nunez         Giannoulis

Sainz          Sara

Sargent      Barnes

Nunez is out v Sunderland.

• Like 1

I’d shift Nunez to the right wing.

But again we clearly needed more numbers in January and we sat on our hands. 

I feel sorry for Wagner the guy has setup to fail.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You've clearly not watched any of his Youtube videos. He's always laughing and joking around with the team and he spends most of the time outside of matches hanging around with Nunez who's clearly become his best friend

None of that was at all evident on Saturday. Quite the opposite, even to the point of ignoring the Nunez overlap on the right several times.  

Our U21s play on Friday so we'll get a good idea if any of them are likely to make the bench on Saturday.

The loss of Nunez is a huge blow and likely to mean it will be Hanley and Gibson at CB with McLean and Sara in midfield. I can't see Wagner radically changing the system at this stage of the season whilst we are still in with a shout of the play-offs.

Sunderland have lost 3 in a row, will be without their best player and really need to come out for the win, which might leave them open to the counter attack.