Thingy

New stadium at Anglia Square?

7 hours ago, norwich canary said:

The old stationary building should be saved and restored it’s a brilliant example of the brutalist style of architecture , one of the best in the country

It looks an eyesore only because it isn’t being maintained 

What is this stationary building you speak of? Is it because of flooding? Here in the East Midlands all our buildings stay where we put them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Thingy said:

Anglia Square is available. It would be a good location for a new stadium. 

what a city centric view most people who go to the football dont even live in norwich 

it would be a complete nightmare limited transport links no parking 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, norwich canary said:

The old stationary building should be saved and restored it’s a brilliant example of the brutalist style of architecture , one of the best in the country

Very good point. Cities have to develop,  but you need a cross section of history as a reminder. What is the Norwich Society's view on this area of the city? 

• Like 1

I thought the views of the Norwich Society who backed the scheme, but proposed amendments, was constructive; unlike this Government’s housing policies. 

13 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Well it wouldn't be more inconvenient for anybody who lives in the North or East side of the city.

Its not just Anglia Square that was due to be demolished but that huge unsightly former Stationary Office building and the multistorey car park, so I should imagine it would be big enough for a football stadium, but might have to be one with an under-stadium players, VIP and directors car park (and blue badge holders perhaps?).

Personally I'd rather we stayed at Carrow Road, we're a nightmare to get to by car for fans of most teams so being close to the Railway Station is helpful for away attendances. If away attendances drops so does the overall atmosphere.

Realistically we only need to go to 35,000 and its been confirmed we can achieve that by simply knocking down and rebuilding the City Stand. No new stadium needed. 

Capture.JPG

Bottom left bijou car-park on Edward Street behind Epic Studios where Hunter's 'Squash Club' used to be.....Many a good Friday an' Saturday nights spent in Hunter's 'disco' and I enjoyed boppin' an' a boozin' on a postage stamp sized dance-floor in the late eighties early nineties....Always had to queue to get in....a popular place....

13 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

The footprint for a stadium isn't as big as people think. It would obviously need a lot of funding from outside the club, which kicks this into touch pretty much straight away

The real threat of an Everton bankruptcy while they are halfway through a new stadium build should be enough to scare anybody off.

Realistically, we don't need 50,000 seats so therefore don't need a new stadium.

I think there is a strong argument for building a smart multi storey car park where this car park currently sits though, not sure whether that would be financially worthwhile as would only be full on matchdays and large events, although the hotel would clearly use a bit of it like they currently do, and there will be 2000 new homes just the other side of the river at some point - if another bridge is built over the river might get some use from those visiting.

The edge of the ground floor floor could house the various food vendors as well, make it look a bit neater and tidier. 

Capture.JPG.8f7a447f3a4aef080c153ec156dd39f4.JPG

Nothing wrong with Carrow Road, it would be near perfect, imo, if it wasn't for that Main Stand.

Excellently situated where it is, and yes I'm aware of the traffic problems leaving the ground, but it used to be a chance to listen to Sports Report on the car radio. "Da, da-da, da, da-da ....."

Perhaps a bit of updating here and there, but I wouldn't really know.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

The council are willing to wave some development costs for the Anglia Square plot. It is more central so more people could walk. It is hardly any further from the train station than Carrow Rd. New stadiums have lower maintenance costs. Football funding is available towards new stadiums. A new stadium would solve the problem of knocking down the City stand and where to house those fans as we'd move to a new stadium instead. 

On 07/02/2024 at 07:59, cambridgeshire canary said:

Now if you told me this picture was taken in the USSR..

Brutalist architecture at its finest 🤣

On 06/02/2024 at 23:31, Thingy said:

Anglia Square is available. It would be a good location for a new stadium. 

A great suggestion for our cash rich club, who cant afford to develop a stand due to prohibitive labour and material costs. Genius.

59 minutes ago, Thingy said:

The council are willing to wave some development costs for the Anglia Square plot. It is more central so more people could walk. It is hardly any further from the train station than Carrow Rd. New stadiums have lower maintenance costs. Football funding is available towards new stadiums. A new stadium would solve the problem of knocking down the City stand and where to house those fans as we'd move to a new stadium instead. 

And who would pay for demolishing the current Anglia Square?

Its just a non-starter - too pricey let alone wrong place. No good case whatsoever. Carrow Rd is just fine where it is. Update (two tier) City Stand.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Unthink road said:

Very good point. Cities have to develop,  but you need a cross section of history as a reminder. What is the Norwich Society's view on this area of the city? 

The whole area is a dump and need bulldozing down

Especially the Stationary Office 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daly said:

A huge heart attack risk.

3 hours ago, daly said:

The Stationary Office does have merit - but in the correct setting. Did cross my mind if properly refurbished (and the rest of the site redeveloped) could work for NUA - it was after-all designed to give lots of light and space for 'graphical' design etc.

Indeed the whole site could perhaps more simply redeveloped as part of university campus. 

17 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

The real threat of an Everton bankruptcy while they are halfway through a new stadium build should be enough to scare anybody off.

Realistically, we don't need 50,000 seats so therefore don't need a new stadium.

I think there is a strong argument for building a smart multi storey car park where this car park currently sits though, not sure whether that would be financially worthwhile as would only be full on matchdays and large events, although the hotel would clearly use a bit of it like they currently do, and there will be 2000 new homes just the other side of the river at some point - if another bridge is built over the river might get some use from those visiting.

The edge of the ground floor floor could house the various food vendors as well, make it look a bit neater and tidier. 

Capture.JPG.8f7a447f3a4aef080c153ec156dd39f4.JPG

Don’t park your electric/hybrid cars in there 

ask Luton airport 

On 07/02/2024 at 09:12, norwich canary said:

Riddled with asbestos and has a lot of concrete in it's structure... which has largely been exposed to the elements for at least 15yrs.

The time for saving it has long passed.

Someone else said it's not Anglia Square... the issue is that it's all integrated. 

On 08/02/2024 at 15:48, Yobocop said:

Don’t park your electric/hybrid cars in there 

ask Luton airport 

Or your Range Rovers, as in what actually went up in flames.  The problem with our country is that far too many people are prepared to believe the **** that you find on the internet put there by people with an agenda and a big budget.

Disband the club, sell the stadium and return the cash to the shareholders. We are never going to be a Champions League side, it's a waste of effort trying. 

9 hours ago, Bobzilla said:

Or your Range Rovers, as in what actually went up in flames.  The problem with our country is that far too many people are prepared to believe the **** that you find on the internet put there by people with an agenda and a big budget.

It was a hybrid mate, I know one of the fire fighters at Luton airport who was a first responder 

14 hours ago, Yobocop said:

It was a hybrid mate, I know one of the fire fighters at Luton airport who was a first responder 

That’s great, but can a firefighter instantly tell which car exploded in a raging inferno, and what type of vehicle it was?  I have absolutely no doubt that there were EVs in that car park, and that would have made the fire more difficult to fight because of the two different types of fuel in play, but the myth that it was a hybrid has repeatedly been debunked.  The Fire Service themselves debunked that, categorically, and they have no ulterior reason to do that, especially under this government that will bend over backwards to promote the interests of the oil and gas industry.  

If you’d have told me that your mate was part of the investigative service that investigated the causes of the fire, and could explain why his story was totally contra to the published one, great, but that’s not what you’ve said.  And plenty of the press have an anti-EV stance so if this were true, it would have come out.  

So sorry, but I simply don’t believe that your assertion has any credibility.

• Like 1

Football stadiums are best located near good public transport links,  and Carrow Road is perfect for the rail links,  and not so far from the A47. 

It's a ridiculous thread talking about Anglia Square as an option for relocation, anyway hasn't planning permission been,  or being approved for redevelopment?

8 minutes ago, Bobzilla said:

That’s great, but can a firefighter instantly tell which car exploded in a raging inferno, and what type of vehicle it was?  I have absolutely no doubt that there were EVs in that car park, and that would have made the fire more difficult to fight because of the two different types of fuel in play, but the myth that it was a hybrid has repeatedly been debunked.  The Fire Service themselves debunked that, categorically, and they have no ulterior reason to do that, especially under this government that will bend over backwards to promote the interests of the oil and gas industry.  

If you’d have told me that your mate was part of the investigative service that investigated the causes of the fire, and could explain why his story was totally contra to the published one, great, but that’s not what you’ve said.  And plenty of the press have an anti-EV stance so if this were true, it would have come out.  

So sorry, but I simply don’t believe that your assertion has any credibility.

He was a first responder to the car in question and knew the make and model and source of fire but ok… 

im not anti-EV by the way, just know the facts presented to me 

was meant to be a light hearted gag however it has backfired (no pun intended) somewhat 

On 13/02/2024 at 12:19, Harry53 said:

Football stadiums are best located near good public transport links,  and Carrow Road is perfect for the rail links,  and not so far from the A47. 

It's a ridiculous thread talking about Anglia Square as an option for relocation, anyway hasn't planning permission been,  or being approved for redevelopment?

Anglia Square is close to the railway station, bus station, and Castle Mall stops. It is also more central in the city so more people could walk. The site is available and the council willing to forgo some development costs. 

On 12/02/2024 at 21:57, Yobocop said:

Nope, it was a diesel.

It had been subject to a recall to fix a spontaneous fire issue, but hadn't had the fix applied.

It is only EV car haters that keep stating it was an EV/Hybrid.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lazza said:

Nope, it was a diesel.

It had been subject to a recall to fix a spontaneous fire issue, but hadn't had the fix applied.

It is only EV car haters that keep stating it was an EV/Hybrid.

Well I’m not a EV car hater and can categorically state it was a hybrid but please believe what you like… 

• Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 22:10, BroadstairsR said:

Nothing wrong with Carrow Road, it would be near perfect, imo, if it wasn't for that Main Stand.

Excellently situated where it is, and yes I'm aware of the traffic problems leaving the ground, but it used to be a chance to listen to Sports Report on the car radio. "Da, da-da, da, da-da ....."

Perhaps a bit of updating here and there, but I wouldn't really know.

Agreed. If we could replace the main stand and add another 5k seats that would be plenty. The ground is in a great spot where it is, easy for walking, train and cars 

Imagine marshalling ManU or Ipswich Town up Prince of Wales Road, Tombland and Magdalen Street

11 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Well I’m not a EV car hater and can categorically state it was a hybrid but please believe what you like… 

From the Independent on 12 October 2023: Andrew Hopkinson of Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue service said "We don't believe it was an electric vehicle. It's believed to be diesel-powered and then that fire has quickly and rapidly spread."