Thingy

New stadium at Anglia Square?

Realistically are we in a position to afford a new stadium...ever?

Although saying that didn't Zoe Webber recently state that adding more to Carrow Road (I think it was in the context of recognising ex players in some way around the stadium) might not necessarily be the best thing to do and the reasons will become apparent in due course? Interesting.

21 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The size of the land is almost exactly the same size as Carrow Road:

Screenshot_20240320-134852.thumb.png.0030f9a0e9bd10563d57978883c0b100.pngScreenshot_20240320-135027.thumb.png.31700d04946be378852a5c23c16cf621.png

The zoom is the same for both images, and as you can see from the positions of Edward Street (top left), Botolph Street (bottom left) and the flyover (running down the right, which you can just see at the top right), the width is more-or-less identical (maybe slightly wider in the middle but narrower in the corners), although Anglia Square is probably marginally longer. 

Obviously we have to bear in mind that a football ground needs to be a precise length and width, and whilst I'd say that Anglia Square is a great location, it would be extremely difficult to accommodate a stadium larger than the one we presently have, although the architects who designed Brentford's new stadium in a very small, awkward space might be able to be creative enough with it.

Like I said before, I'm not very familiar with the Carrow Works site, but isn't the large listed building right in the middle of it? Wouldn't that make it impossible to fit the pitch in with four stands around it?

I'm quite interested in the debate though, as Norwich are moving into a new 48,000-seater stadium on my Football Manager save at the end of the season, and I've been wracking my brains figuring out where that could be!

I see that Poundland is on the Anglia Square site which could tie in with our transfer policy when the parachute funds go

On 21/03/2024 at 07:38, chicken said:

Several obvious things here to mention.

1st: for a ground move, the piece of land being purchased to build said ground on would have to be considerably less in value to make it viable. A new stadium would be incredibly expensive so you'd want a drastic difference in value to help give you a head start. Central city sites are not cheap and almost instantly aren't viable from that perspective. See the clubs that are moving to the edges of Cities or even slightly further out.

2nd: the above zoomed in image and similar do not show the entire footprint for Carrow Road, not does it take into account a new footprint. Grounds then to have larger distances between the edge of pitches and spectators now, in addition to that, a larger capacity along with modern regs and require larger footprints for that. Additionally, it doesn't include the actual land that is owned by or part of the Carrow Road site itself.

It's not happening. Anglia Square or Carrow Works. Neither are viable options in anyway when you consider it.

I do wonder if the land at Carrow Road actually has any value at all. No one in their right mind would buy it with the potential flood risk. That risk may be false but how much money would you be prepared to gamble on it. 

If I was in the market for very expensive commercial land I would be looking for zero risk. 

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I do wonder if the land at Carrow Road actually has any value at all. No one in their right mind would buy it with the potential flood risk. That risk may be false but how much money would you be prepared to gamble on it. 

If I was in the market for very expensive commercial land I would be looking for zero risk. 

You say that, but the flood risk would have been known when all of the other land was sold for building on over the last 20years.

Flats along there go for good money still. Whilst they do, that land has value that will reflect how many such properties they can get on there.

I wouldn't worry too much about flood risk. It can be a few mm's.

• Like 1