Thingy

New stadium at Anglia Square?

On 07/02/2024 at 12:35, Yellow Fever said:

The debacle is absolutely NOTHING to do with civil service. They have no input in the political decisions made.

It's all to with the local and national politics plus wet behind the ears unworldly nimby / green / historical pressure (of all political persuasions like Jenrick) groups that made the perfect the enemy of the good. Seriously not a sensible site for any stadium (transport / noise) but people do need to ask themselves what they want there - or indeed in the city at large. It actually needs to be new 'quarter' where people WANT to live and work - that needs iconic starement  buildings and a sense of life / buzz / action - the place to be. Frankly, it needs the tower - a modern compliment to the cathedral spire - even with a viewing platform probably lit up like some Asian city! Else, I'm afraid it will become a wayward sink area in an ever fossilizing city.

Certainly not somewhere for a stadium but a bespoke concert venue would be good!

On 27/02/2024 at 14:51, Thingy said:

Anglia Square is close to the railway station, bus station, and Castle Mall stops. It is also more central in the city so more people could walk. The site is available and the council willing to forgo some development costs. 

Close to the railway station?  Miles from the bus station!  Have you actually ever been to Norwich City Centre?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

From the Independent on 12 October 2023: Andrew Hopkinson of Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue service said "We don't believe it was an electric vehicle. It's believed to be diesel-powered and then that fire has quickly and rapidly spread."

Just playing devil's advocate, but, just because it was a diesel doesn't preclude either being a hybrid. I drive a diesel mhev myself and you wouldn't know it was a hybrid (even when looking at the fuel economy, bloody thing drinks the stuff)

2 hours ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

Close to the railway station?  Miles from the bus station!  Have you actually ever been to Norwich City Centre?

I was thinking exactly the same M'Lud and he has certainly never set foot in The Mall.

• Like 2

Maybe we could get a big sponsor, someone like Ford

The Ford Anglia Centre, perhaps ?

• Like 2

On 28/02/2024 at 23:19, Yobocop said:

Well I’m not a EV car hater and can categorically state it was a hybrid but please believe what you like… 

Here's a video of the car that started the fire.

Luton Airport: Video shows burning car that may have sparked inferno (telegraph.co.uk)

It's a diesel. Search for images of Land Rover Hybrid and see if you can find one with those rear lights. 

• Thanks 1

Multiple leaks across the roof in the Barclay Saturday. Spent the entire game sitting at an angle to avoid a constant drip, as did many others.

On 05/03/2024 at 08:58, Lazza said:

Here's a video of the car that started the fire.

Luton Airport: Video shows burning car that may have sparked inferno (telegraph.co.uk)

It's a diesel. Search for images of Land Rover Hybrid and see if you can find one with those rear lights. 

Like this one you mean? 

look this has gone on for a few weeks now with random people resurrecting the thread

i maintain my story from ground zero as it were, I’m not anti ev so have no agenda and not trying to spread non truths 

Lets move on 

IMG_8851.png

The council are now looking to purchase the Anglia Square site. Doing so would vastly reduce the cost of building a new stadium on that site as the club wouldn't need to buy the land.

Another option, Carrow Works could soon become available again. Building a new stadium on that site could include a conference centre etc. with views over the river. 

55 minutes ago, Thingy said:

The council are now looking to purchase the Anglia Square site. Doing so would vastly reduce the cost of building a new stadium on that site as the club wouldn't need to buy the land.

Another option, Carrow Works could soon become available again. Building a new stadium on that site could include a conference centre etc. with views over the river. 

The problem is space. Are either of those sites big enough, and the right shape, to build a stadium bigger than what we already have? 

I think Anglia Square and the car parks next to it are roughly the same size of our current ground. I'm not as familiar with Carrow Works, but doesn't it have listed buildings on it?

Carrow Works has a listed building on a small part of the site but the rest of the site is easily big enough for a new stadium. It would be great to have bars, gym etc as part of a new stadium with views overlooking the river.  

The Anglia Square site is also easily big enough. The council now want to buy the land - which would mean NCFC could sell the current stadium including land and then use the money to build a new stadium at Anglia Square without having to incur the cost of buying the Anglia Square land as it would be council owned land. It makes a new stadium far more affordable. 

11 minutes ago, Thingy said:

Carrow Works has a listed building on a small part of the site but the rest of the site is easily big enough for a new stadium. It would be great to have bars, gym etc as part of a new stadium with views overlooking the river.  

The Anglia Square site is also easily big enough. The council now want to buy the land - which would mean NCFC could sell the current stadium including land and then use the money to build a new stadium at Anglia Square without having to incur the cost of buying the Anglia Square land as it would be council owned land. It makes a new stadium far more affordable. 

Interesting re. Carrow Works, if the land is available at a good price maybe it could be a goer. Yes, there are two (I think from Google) listed buildings on site but as with Everton's Bramley Moor site and the listed pump house that was retained, there is no reason why they could not be incorporated into a masterplan and provide some of the facilities required of a sporting venue.

The American model that Attanasio is used to would potentially be happy with your comments on Anglia Square (local authority owned land etc.) - I just think it is too land locked for any sizeable stadium development to be achieved within what will be very tight cost constraints.

10 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Interesting re. Carrow Works, if the land is available at a good price maybe it could be a goer. Yes, there are two (I think from Google) listed buildings on site but as with Everton's Bramley Moor site and the listed pump house that was retained, there is no reason why they could not be incorporated into a masterplan and provide some of the facilities required of a sporting venue.

The American model that Attanasio is used to would potentially be happy with your comments on Anglia Square (local authority owned land etc.) - I just think it is too land locked for any sizeable stadium development to be achieved within what will be very tight cost constraints.

I don't understand the continuing debate about Anglia Square. Totally unsuitable site. Never going to happen.

Elsewhere there is a local plan - Carrow Works is for housing. Lots of it.

No - what should happen is to sort the existing City Stand. Then we'll have a really good stadium  / location which we own at modest cost. What's not to like! With some standing allowed again we could even get back to, or insight of, the old 40,000 days.

• Like 1

The latest regarding Carrow Works is that the council planning dept are against the housing plans for nearly 2,000 houses on the site as not enough provision for local school places etc. The decision is due to be made tomorrow. Therefore a new stadium and music venue etc. would likely be approved on that land. See https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-68605010

1 hour ago, Thingy said:

The Anglia Square site is also easily big enough. 

The size of the land is almost exactly the same size as Carrow Road:

Screenshot_20240320-134852.thumb.png.0030f9a0e9bd10563d57978883c0b100.pngScreenshot_20240320-135027.thumb.png.31700d04946be378852a5c23c16cf621.png

The zoom is the same for both images, and as you can see from the positions of Edward Street (top left), Botolph Street (bottom left) and the flyover (running down the right, which you can just see at the top right), the width is more-or-less identical (maybe slightly wider in the middle but narrower in the corners), although Anglia Square is probably marginally longer. 

Obviously we have to bear in mind that a football ground needs to be a precise length and width, and whilst I'd say that Anglia Square is a great location, it would be extremely difficult to accommodate a stadium larger than the one we presently have, although the architects who designed Brentford's new stadium in a very small, awkward space might be able to be creative enough with it.

Like I said before, I'm not very familiar with the Carrow Works site, but isn't the large listed building right in the middle of it? Wouldn't that make it impossible to fit the pitch in with four stands around it?

I'm quite interested in the debate though, as Norwich are moving into a new 48,000-seater stadium on my Football Manager save at the end of the season, and I've been wracking my brains figuring out where that could be!

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Like I said before, I'm not very familiar with the Carrow Works site, but isn't the large listed building right in the middle of it? Wouldn't that make it impossible to fit the pitch in with four stands around it?

I've just repeated your Google Maps zoom test, and you are right, with two listed buildings on the Carrow Works site it is impossible to fit the footprint of the current stadium within that site without demolishing one or both of them.

So, Attanasio et al, just crack on with replacing the City Stand pronto!

Here's a video of the Carrow Road site. The listed building is at the end of the video. There's plenty space for a stadium. It could even go lengthways alongside the river. See 

• Like 1

Wasn’t the whole point of this thread because Carrow Road is due to be under water? What’s the point of building a new stadium at Carrow Works?

9 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Wasn’t the whole point of this thread because Carrow Road is due to be under water? What’s the point of building a new stadium at Carrow Works?

To be honest, we've done extremely well to get 80 posts in and still be this close to original topic. 

7 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Brentford managed to build on a postage stamp with significant physical constraints. Only 17,500 capacity mind, but it is doable. However, if Norwich were looking at a new stadium, it would have plenty more suitable locations.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Thingy said:

Here's a video of the Carrow Road site. The listed building is at the end of the video. There's plenty space for a stadium. It could even go lengthways alongside the river.

Here is the plan of how the Carrow Works site was going to be redeveloped, with the bits in blue being retained. Also note the big yellow square. That is a Scheduled Monument that will need to be left intact.

image.png.32f25caf16acc20bcd77ca3d7137a655.png

And here is how the site is imagined once it has been redeveloped

image.png.dd7342f7468d40363c20f0efec2b517c.png

In short, Good Luck getting permission to build a football stadium on top of one of England's 200 most-important archaeological sites. 

As for Anglia Square, what makes you think that the City of Norwich has enough spare cash to gift a £10m asset to an American multi-millionaire?  And, if this were to happen, what do you think the fiscally hard-pressed voters of Norwich would say when the next local election rolled around?

Edited by NewNestCarrow
  • Like 1

The council are asking the government to give the council the money to purchase Anglia Square and therefore no cost to the council. It would mean the possibility of NCFC building a stadium on Anglia Square without the need to buy the land as the land would be council owned.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

The projected flood level for 2050 doesn't affect the other side of the river because it is higher. 

I've no idea how much trust can be placed in the prediction for 2050 but I certainly wouldn't bet on it by spending a fortune on extending the City Stand. 

If we were to build a new stadium then Carrow Works looks ideal. It also looks ideal for housing as it matches the Government's brown field aspirations. 

Screenshot_20240321_061716_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c921bb7f2362104dc954450ae40d47fd.jpg

Several obvious things here to mention.

1st: for a ground move, the piece of land being purchased to build said ground on would have to be considerably less in value to make it viable. A new stadium would be incredibly expensive so you'd want a drastic difference in value to help give you a head start. Central city sites are not cheap and almost instantly aren't viable from that perspective. See the clubs that are moving to the edges of Cities or even slightly further out.

2nd: the above zoomed in image and similar do not show the entire footprint for Carrow Road, not does it take into account a new footprint. Grounds then to have larger distances between the edge of pitches and spectators now, in addition to that, a larger capacity along with modern regs and require larger footprints for that. Additionally, it doesn't include the actual land that is owned by or part of the Carrow Road site itself.

It's not happening. Anglia Square or Carrow Works. Neither are viable options in anyway when you consider it.

• Like 1

As I've mentioned before, the council are now asking the government for the money to purchase the Anglia Square site. Therefore NCFC wouldn't need to purchase the land. 

There's nothing wrong with Carrow Road that an improved Main Stand wouldn't fix ..... I think.

Here is a map of the available land near Carrow Rd avaiable for redevelopment. This includes Carrow Works, the Deal ground, the utilities site etc. There's a lot of land available.  

image.png