Tetteys Jig

Idah off on an adventure

We would have to sign someone. And I highly doubt we could sign better than Idah in this window.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I would have thought one of our CBs should have been marking Virgil no?

Edge of the area is a bit far out for a defending CB at a corner isn’t it? It was Idah’s zone and the look of bewilderment on his face was almost comical. 

Not a bad move for him or us really. I like the kid but it's not really working. I don't think he's ever going to be the man, as such. 

Replacement doesn't really matter until the Summer, if we get left short, we get left short. We're not getting relegated and we're not getting promoted so there's nothing to be short for really. Season is essentially over.

27 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah this is where I do think we hurt his development.

A season where he goes out on loan, plays week in week out, gets to develop his all round game at a lower level could have helped him so much. Cantwell's development shot on after his loan in Holland, Godfrey took a giant step forward after a season starting regularly at Shrewsbury. It can make or break a player.

It’s this to a crazy extent, his senior league minutes for us adds up to roughly 40 games. Not even a full season and that’s with a lot of stop/start due to injuries too.

I think if he stays here his ceiling will only ever be a backup but we could’ve done much better. Even now this is the most he’s played in one season and it’s only amount to 14 90s but he’s got 6 goals out of it.

This is probably the first true test for Knapper in terms of our transfer business. 

45 minutes ago, splutcho said:

Not a bad move for him or us really. I like the kid but it's not really working. I don't think he's ever going to be the man, as such. 

Replacement doesn't really matter until the Summer, if we get left short, we get left short. We're not getting relegated and we're not getting promoted so there's nothing to be short for really. Season is essentially over.

Eh?

We're 2 pts off the play-offs,

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Indy said:

If we bring back that sex mad useless over the hill old journeyman striker and get rid of our second top scorer then we really need to question the entire set ups!

Can Idah get his leg over?

I think idahs problem has been he's a bit too good. He was good enough to be trusted as a backup so we have been reluctant to let him out on loan as signing an alternative backup is expensive and difficult, but needed some consistent game time to fully develop, which he would only get if we loaned him out. If he was a bit worse he would have been loaned out years ago...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Eh?

We're 2 pts off the play-offs,

Exactly we shouldn’t be letting anyone go and we should be reinforcing the squad. Do we want to get promoted or not?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I think idahs problem has been he's a bit too good. He was good enough to be trusted as a backup so we have been reluctant to let him out on loan as signing an alternative backup is expensive and difficult, but needed some consistent game time to fully develop, which he would only get if we loaned him out. If he was a bit worse he would have been loaned out years ago...

Yeah, I've said this before. Between the ages of 18-21 he was never good enough to start over Pukki in a one-striker system but good enough to be a backup. In the end, this state of limbo has meant that he hasn't developed as he should've. 

But Verona would be a very risky move for him. They're in the thick of a relegation battle and like I said early in the thread, they have sold seven or eight first team players this window including all of their best ones. Off the top of my head, they've lost Hien to Atalanta, Ngonge to Napoli, Faraoni to Fiorentina, Doig to Sassuolo and Djuric to Monza. They don't seem to be keen on spending much to replace them and it's going to be a tough slog for the players that are left and the assorted bits and pieces who join. 

• Thanks 1

On 27/01/2024 at 21:58, Tetteys Jig said:

Idah linked with Serie A, Hwang coming back to cover…

How on earth does this make sense?!

i fooking hope so! not the hwangker coming back though

Edited by mastoola

I could potentially see Idah leaving and us telling Aboh sign a new contract and this is your path to the first team. Would be a way of making/saving money for the club too.

Very happy to see him leave. Fed up with watching him flounder about missing chances that would win us games due to having zero strikers instinct. There is something there but equally there us something missing also. Good luck to him if he goes.

• Like 2

If he goes, then starts scoring regularly, who is going to be the first to start moaning about why we sold him? Who will pick up the "Carlton Morris" trophy?

• Like 3

He has all the ingredients to be a decent striker at this level but lacks the hunger and bravery that have made lesser physical specimens at this level (like Holty) successful. If he had a bit more desire to get onto the end of things, and a bit less concern about getting a battering in the process the he could have been magnificent.

54 minutes ago, Herman said:

If he goes, then starts scoring regularly, who is going to be the first to start moaning about why we sold him? Who will pick up the "Carlton Morris" trophy?

It'll be someone who moaned about the length of his contract.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Very happy to see him leave. Fed up with watching him flounder about missing chances that would win us games due to having zero strikers instinct. There is something there but equally there us something missing also. Good luck to him if he goes.

He's our second top scorer, despite being predominantly a bench player. He has certainly visibly improved even from the start of this season thanks to game time. 

He has 6 goals from an xG of 5.83 - yes he has missed some easier chances but he's taken some more difficult one's, too.

I do think in reality it's better if he goes, fans have been unduly harsh towards him as sometimes happens with our young players. It's normally reserved for wingers but Idah's had the treatment all season. Of course, there was temporary respite when his goals from the bench sort of shoved it back in the idiot's faces but as soon as he doesn't score in a couple of appearances the stick starts again.

I can understand him wanting to go too. I don't understand our fans wanting him to go now though, significantly weakening us.

• Like 7

Unless we are able to bring someone else in (can't see Hwang coming back given his current issues), I don't see this happening. Whilst Idah's ability to put chances away could be better, his hold up play and work rate is pretty decent. I'd rather we moved Barnes on than let Idah go this window. 

7 hours ago, HB1989 said:

I could potentially see Idah leaving and us telling Aboh sign a new contract and this is your path to the first team. Would be a way of making/saving money for the club too.

I don't think Aboh will be in the frame at all. Wagner clearly doesn't think he's ready otherwise he would have been taken to Liverpool, rather than have 2 keepers on the bench.

We'll probably go with Barnes and Sargent for the rest of the season with Gibbs as back-up. Kamara will return next season unless Portsmouth want him, which is highly likely.

Worrying times and it basically removes any hope of getting top 6.

10 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Exactly we shouldn’t be letting anyone go and we should be reinforcing the squad. Do we want to get promoted or not?

i think that is how we will see what the board and knapper think next day or two ,

weaken the squad by letting people go then they were not serious of a promotion push ,

strengthen the squad a bit and you are doing everything possible to go up , 

i do not think we will go up and do not think Wagner is the future ,

but we are still in the mix so we will learn what board and state of club in next few days ,

I genuinely believe we would live to regret letting Idah go here. He is a 22 year old with a very respectable minutes to goal ratio in the Championship. He would be a starting striker for most teams in the league minus 5 or 6 teams. And just for a bit of perspective at his age... Ivan Toney had just signed for Peterborough after scoring 12 goals in League One the previous season. Teemu Pukki had just signed for Celtic ready for a disastrous spell there. Ian Wright had signed from non-league by Palace a season before... Judge strikers early at your peril. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bristol Canary said:

I genuinely believe we would live to regret letting Idah go here. He is a 22 year old with a very respectable minutes to goal ratio in the Championship. He would be a starting striker for most teams in the league minus 5 or 6 teams. And just for a bit of perspective at his age... Ivan Toney had just signed for Peterborough after scoring 12 goals in League One the previous season. Teemu Pukki had just signed for Celtic ready for a disastrous spell there. Ian Wright had signed from non-league by Palace a season before... Judge strikers early at your peril. 

Carlton Morris was still struggling for goals in League One when he was two years older...

i understand if a club comes in with a big bid and we can maybe buy two players with the money to rebuild and  replace 

But loan to buy does not really help us ,

59 minutes ago, Bristol Canary said:

So basic skill, quickness of thought processes (foresight), work-rate and heading ability to say nothing of apparent shallow self-belief develop with age?

You may be correct.

I don't know, but am inclined not to wait any longer. This discussion could end up going on until the end of his long contract, so I say sell, if possible.

I wouldn't put Adam in the top twenty or even thirty of the decent strikers we've had in the yellow over the years. We've had some good 'uns, Idah falls short. 

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

We've really got to stop being a selling club !

This is getting a joke now, it’s not even selling to replace. We are literally just scraping by with every sale. Two seasons in the prem where we “had a go” (by our standards) and the other seasons “balancing the books” shows how badly run the club is. 
I cannot believe all the player sales from the summer and we are letting a very good backup striker go for next to nothing. It’s really concerning and this ownership change needs to happen pronto, not three years down the line.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Problem with it being reported to be a loan is I fear they will end up sending him back to us at the end of it..

Might be harsh but this is my fear as well. He's never really stepped up here and I doubt he will do it in half of a season where he has the added complications of settling in a new country. 

I'd be happy to sell him now but wouldnt risk a loan with an option to buy. 

I'd be amazed if we let him go anywhere - although I wouldn't be against it. As others have said, there is plenty to like but equally plenty to dislike. No English club is going to give us anywhere near £3m for him so this might be the only opportunity we have to get a decent-ish fee. It just doesn't feel like the lad will ever make it at this club - a failure more on the club's side than the individual I feel in this case.

Edited by Captain Holt

32 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

This is getting a joke now, it’s not even selling to replace. We are literally just scraping by with every sale. Two seasons in the prem where we “had a go” (by our standards) and the other seasons “balancing the books” shows how badly run the club is. 
I cannot believe all the player sales from the summer and we are letting a very good backup striker go for next to nothing. It’s really concerning and this ownership change needs to happen pronto, not three years down the line.

Are we? I haven't seen anything anywhere to say that we've accepted any bid. Please can you show me where you've seen that we're letting him go?

29 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Are we? I haven't seen anything anywhere to say that we've accepted any bid. Please can you show me where you've seen that we're letting him go?

Nicolo Shira reporting it’s loan with 3m euros obligation if certain criteria is met 

• Thanks 1