Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Team for Rovers replay

Never mind the team, what socks do I wear?

My membership issue LUCKY HOME SOCKS only have a 20% win rate (Yes, I know we are away, but they didn't work for the home tie, so they might for the away one?).

I recently purchased a NCFC days-of-the-week set and wore the FRIDAY socks on the day of the Hull away win.

Decisions, decisions..

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Addick/Canary said:

My membership issue LUCKY HOME SOCKS only have a 20% win rate (Yes, I know we are away, but they didn't work for the home tie, so they might for the away one?).

I recently purchased a NCFC days-of-the-week set and wore the FRIDAY socks on the day of the Hull away win.

Decisions, decisions..

You definitely can't go out on a Wednesday with Fridays socks on, lucky or not.

I mean, you're gonna struggle to stand up let alone walk, it'll be all wrong. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Addick/Canary said:

Decisions, decisions..

Your problem is likely to be helped if not entirely solved by the weather. It’s going to be so cold that you’ll need to wear 2 if not 3 pairs, so you can spread the risk. Now you only have to decide which to put on first.

• Haha 2

Embarrasing defeat to Rovers will hurt Wagner even more than recent reversals.  Team will be strong to avoid defeat and save Wagner face.  However feel Rovers will be up for this and can see good performance by them and yet another from City as per usual.

Our lineup v Rovers should include  no starters expected to play v Leeds and WBA

In the the bigger picture a 3rd round replay and taking hiding at Liverpool in 4th round serves no purpose so play the B team and if they win fine they all get to play again at Liverpool but while we have a chance of playoffs we cant afford games like Bristol Rovers and Liverpool and injuries to first teamers

7 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Shouldnt be sending anyone of the 1st xi with WBA and Leeds coming up in the next week

Weather notwithstanding, am I right in saying that if we beat Bristol Rovers, Leeds won't be 'coming up in the next week' since it'll be postponed for our trip to Anfield? Happy to be corrected.

Regardless [spoiler alert] we're not going up or down this season, so we might as well have a proper go at the Cup. Obviously we'll almost certainly be tonked by Liverpool, but I like the idea of Sara and Rowe playing at Anfield.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Weather notwithstanding, am I right in saying that if we beat Bristol Rovers, Leeds won't be 'coming up in the next week' since it'll be postponed for our trip to Anfield? Happy to be corrected.

Regardless [spoiler alert] we're not going up or down this season, so we might as well have a proper go at the Cup. Obviously we'll almost certainly be tonked by Liverpool, but I like the idea of Sara and Rowe playing at Anfield.

Leeds has been rearranged fot the wednesday before the 4th round weekend.

I'd hope any club 2 pts outside the playoffs with just under half a season to go still believes theres a chance of going up.

Spolier alert...we havent won the FA Cup in our 122 year history and arent about to start now

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Leeds has been rearranged fot the wednesday before the 4th round weekend.

Cheers, appreciate that.

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I'd hope any club 2 pts outside the playoffs with just under half a season to go still believes theres a chance of going up.

Yes, there's definitely a chance. But I really can't see it - can you?

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Spolier alert...we havent won the FA Cup in our 122 year history and arent about to start now

No, that's true. But that doesn't mean a cup run couldn't give us a magic moment to lift this very frustrating season. Don't you want to see a Rowe or Sara wondergoal at Anfield?

I will accept, though, that my desire for us to give the Cup a go is largely fuelled by nostalgia. And in our very recent history, when we've been in promotion or relegation battles almost every season, I've reluctantly seen the sense in not prioritising the Cup. This season seems like as close as we'll get any time soon to a year where promotion or relegation aren't really an issue.

24 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Regardless of whether or not we feature in the 4th Round we won’t be playing at Elland Rd on the 27th as they’re already through to the next round.

Currently the plan is to play Leeds before the Cup round, on Wednesday 24th

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Cheers, appreciate that.

Yes, there's definitely a chance. But I really can't see it - can you?

No, that's true. But that doesn't mean a cup run couldn't give us a magic moment to lift this very frustrating season. Don't you want to see a Rowe or Sara wondergoal at Anfield?

I will accept, though, that my desire for us to give the Cup a go is largely fuelled by nostalgia. And in our very recent history, when we've been in promotion or relegation battles almost every season, I've reluctantly seen the sense in not prioritising the Cup. This season seems like as close as we'll get any time soon to a year where promotion or relegation aren't really an issue.

Absolutely... Its what Rowe and Sara (and everyone really) should be aspiring to. Playing and scoring at big grounds like Anfield. They deserve it too

7 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

The whole reason behind playing weakened teams in the cup is to let the reserves get some experience and save the first choice players for the league.

A good cup run can act as a distraction and have a negative impact on the league. Remember our season in League One when we were challenging Leeds for the title? We didn't get far in the cup but Leeds got quite some way involving a win at Old Trafford and over time we overtook Leeds. I think once when Portsmouth won the FA Cup about 16-17 years ago they got relegated from the Premier League. Although it was before my lifetime am I also right in thinking when we won the Milk Cup back in the 1980s we also got relegated from the First Division?

When did football start becoming so soulless? The point of the game is a bit of glory here and there, days you remember for the rest of your days. Leeds fans won’t remember much of that 3rd division season, but the ones at Old Trafford will remember that day out until the day they die. Likewise with Wigan, how many matches from those mid table top flight finishes stuck in their fans memories compared to their cup win? If Middlesbrough win their semi final they’ll be talking about it for decades.

Stick out a full strength side and aim for a trip to Anfield in the hope of an upset. Chances are we’ll get tonked but at least let the fans dream for a week or so

• Like 3

Ansen 

Fisher.     Warner     Gibson.     Montoia

Gibbs. Forshaw 

Hernandez.         Lima.           Placheta 

Aboh/ogwuru 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Can we have a competition to come up with the end of your final sentence. I can think of a range of different phrases?

I think Hernandez will start, because Wagner... was seen in Argos?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Put the reserves in. They need the game time and it's likely to be a crap pitch to boot, so don't need to injure a litany of first-teamers just when Barnes, Sainz and Sargent are back.

Lungi and Forshaw as the defensive two in midfield is the combo I'd want to see. Provided there's enough pace between them, they should be a more disciplined screen in front of the defence. The bigger problem is when either of them suddenly start thinking they can hit a diagonal ball.

EDIT: I like the argument some have said that you'd like to see Sara and Rowe play at Anfield, which sounds great, but if they pull out a stormer there, then guess what's going down at the back-end of the transfer window?

Edited by TheGunnShow

GK. Barden

LB. McCallum

CB. McLean

CB. Warner

RB. Fisher

CM. Gibbs

CM. Lima

LW. Hernandez

AM. Welch

RW. Fassnacht

ST. Idah

Subs: Long, Batth, Stacey, Sorensen, Sara, Sainz, Rowe, Aboh, Sargent

Edited by HB1989

8 hours ago, HB1989 said:

GK. Barden

LB. McCallum

CB. McLean

CB. Warner

RB. Fisher

CM. Gibbs

CM. Lima

LW. Hernandez

AM. Welch

RW. Fassnacht

ST. Idah

So, play a drastically weaker and more disjointed than we did where we almost lost the first tie? With a chance of a lucrative trip to Anfield on the line?

Got to be a lot stronger and more cohesive than that to stand a chance. Rovers aren't a pushover at all.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nu_matik said:

So, play a drastically weaker and more disjointed than we did where we almost lost the first tie? With a chance of a lucrative trip to Anfield on the line?

Got to be a lot stronger and more cohesive than that to stand a chance. Rovers aren't a pushover at all.

Long is awful, Barden was competent and assured when he has played for us before. Not much difference in McCallum and Giannoulis defensively. McLean at CB is better than Gibson and Batth and he will be able to dictate play from there as we should have more of the ball. Warner deserves a chance as he didn’t put a foot wrong when he has played against higher quality players than Bristol Rovers. Fisher stays at RB.

It was a horrible team selection in the home game against them to play Gibbs and Forshaw (holding midfielders) and 2 strikers. That puts massive pressure on the 2 wingers to create something.

Could play either Welch or Forsyth, both deserve a chance as they have been playing well in u21’s. If you’re not going to play players like Lima, Welch, Forsyth and Aboh etc in a cup game against Bristol Rovers when are you going to know if they can cut it? You will basically end up in situations like Matos all the time.

Still got players like Hernandez who has got a couple of assists lately and was our best player against Bristol Rovers and Fassnacht who scored in his last game. I also feel it would be the perfect game for Idah as well, no point risking Sargent.

Not really sure how this is a 'drastically’ weaker team.

Liverpool could sell 52,000 seats to tourists for the match against us.

52k x £25 × 45% = £585k plus TV revenue.

That's a serious wedge to help with the running of the club.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

A good opportunity for Johnny Rowe to showcase his talent too. If he does leave soon we may as well maximise his value. 

22 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

If the pitch is frozen though it will interrupt our silky passing play...oh wait..we dont play like that. We should be fine.

Is it within the rules to build a snow wall?

11 hours ago, HB1989 said:

GK. Barden

LB. McCallum

CB. McLean

CB. Warner

RB. Fisher

CM. Gibbs

CM. Lima

LW. Hernandez

AM. Welch

RW. Fassnacht

ST. Idah

Why not just leave the subs at home and completely throw the towel in?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Liverpool have recently had 57k attendances and I think the capacity is being increased to 61k-not sure if that’ll be in time for the 4th round.

Talking to a Liverpool season ticket holder last week and he says that the home tickets will sell out regardless of who they’re playing.

From comments on other threads I doubt we would take our maximum allocation of 15% though.

From Presser: Sarge definitely being rested, with Lungi having "minutes". Hanley back on the grass, man!

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

Liverpool have recently had 57k attendances and I think the capacity is being increased to 61k-not sure if that’ll be in time for the 4th round.

Talking to a Liverpool season ticket holder last week and he says that the home tickets will sell out regardless of who they’re playing.

From comments on other threads I doubt we would take our maximum allocation of 15% though.

I think for the FA Cup you get 45% share of gate receipts regardless how many of your own fans turn up.

On 15/01/2024 at 10:14, daz said:

Tbf could be called off yet, frozen pitch, no undersoil heating and freezing temps all week . 

53860AD3-9B3F-4618-8A83-C1D6F7747334.thumb.jpeg.20fdb320e8f1fa794d0468adf4b6c5fb.jpeg

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

From Presser: Sarge definitely being rested, with Lungi having "minutes". Hanley back on the grass, man!

We've only got 3 strikers now so I would imagine Sarge will be freezing his bits off on the bench.

31 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We've only got 3 strikers now so I would imagine Sarge will be freezing his bits off on the bench.

Wagner said Sargent won't be travelling

• Thanks 1