Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Baggies V Canaries*

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Pathetically thin skinned from the ref

Glad I havent spent good money to travel there for the game to be potentially ruined/decided by a little jobsworth making it about him.

May the referee's yuletide log slip from his fire and burn his house down

Thin skinned is exactly the phrase to use. The guy knew he wanted to do this for a while, the action he took, frankly,  looked rehearsed.

1 minute ago, 7HAR1980 said:

Yeah a card for a foul throw is a bit weird! Lol 

Fair, though. It’s a bit like a professional chef burning the toast. 

• Haha 1

MaCallum getting caught out at the back constantly, doesn’t seem to be able to get back and no-one covering for him either, just like the first half at Portaloo Road. He either needs to buck his ideas up second half or get hooked and put kenny at LB and Hanley or Bahtt CB

1 minute ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

You are being far too charitable to Sainz here.

If you are on a yellow then don't go scream and shouting at the ref, get your captain to do it, common sense.

And at the end of the day telling the refree what to do as in demanding he gives a player a yellow is written in the rules as a yellow card booking offence.

Is it soft? Yes. But was it worth a yellow?

Probably.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

You are entitled to your opinion. But even you personally think it's not a yellow card offence, the laws of the game and the EFL directives say otherwise.

Left to the referees interpretation. 

End of the day, the referee is in charge of the match and will adjudicate it as he sees fit.

Sainz has been a red card waiting to happen across the last few games so hardly surprising

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

You are entitled to your opinion. But even if you personally think it's not a yellow card offence, the laws of the game and the EFL directives say otherwise.

so why wasn't the wba player booked then for doing the same earlier?  yet more inconsistent refereeing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 7HAR1980 said:

Not a bookable offence in my opinion. 

I dislike players doing it but surely the ref could of pulled McLean over and told him to calm his player? 

The laws of the game say that "excessively/persistently gesturing for a red or yellow card" is a cautionable offence.

I saw a replay and he makes that gesture once, so could be deemed as a bit harsh. But we've all seen it happen so many times, it's bloody stupid to do it at all, especially if you're already on a yellow card.

• Like 2

Red card is a joke, poor/weak ref doesn’t give that against a home side. Ruined the game.

that said it should not let Wagner off the hook for his completely inept tactics once again. You cannot continually allow yourself to be outnumbered in midfield against the better sides and you cannot sustain good results or form when you have 25% possession. He really is incredibly limited. 

1 minute ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

If you are on a yellow then don't go scream and shouting at the ref, get your captain to do it, common sense.

Yes it’s not as though a week or so ago people were praising him for showing passion.

10 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Regardless of whether you think it's harsh or whether it should be a yellow in your opinion, the EFL made it clear at the start of the season that waving an imaginary card is a yellow card offence, and that instruction has been followed this season. 

True, but it has been woefully inconsistent in application.  If already on a yellow it can surely be a final warning - just a tweak of the rules - as a sending-off doesn’t remotely fit the crime.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Watch the replay, he didn't go screaming and shouting at the ref.

I am surprised Sainz foul was a yellow but the one on Barnes wasn't. And since Sainz can barely speak English I guess hand gestures are a bit second nature. 

Stupid from Sainz regardless but you can tell the ref spent Christmas on his own. Desperate to get the red card out and unnecessarily ruin a game. Final warning could have been given, get Kenny over.

The PGMOL claim they do their utmost to keep 11 men on the pitch.

Yeah f*cking right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are very lucky we are not 3/4 goals down by now -so at present glad its 0-0 but second half we will tire - has we not fit enough to keep in the game - so I do believe if we dont pack the defence its going to be 2 goals at  least for WBA

4 minutes ago, 7HAR1980 said:

Left to the referees interpretation. 

End of the day, the referee is in charge of the match and will adjudicate it as he sees fit.

Then why even have rules in the first place?

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

True, but it has been woefully inconsistent in application.  If already on a yellow it can surely be a final warning - a sending-off doesn’t remotely fit the crime.

I agree that the punishment doesn't really fit the crime. However, it's written in the rules, and no yellow card offence in football is subject to whether the player has already been booked or not.

The players all know the rules. I'm not sure what Sainz was thinking.

Can't complain with adhering to the rules however as others have said the application of this law is a joke. Like when we got sanctioned for our players reaction last season v Burnley, you see worse across all PL games every week constantly. 

It's either a rule, or it's not.

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

The laws of the game say that "excessively/persistently gesturing for a red or yellow card" is a cautionable offence.

I saw a replay and he makes that gesture once, so could be deemed as a bit harsh. But we've all seen it happen so many times, it's bloody stupid to do it at all, especially if you're already on a yellow card.

I could understand if Sainz had done it excessively or aggressively even but it wasn't like that at all.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I agree that the punishment doesn't really fit the crime. However, it's written in the rules, and no yellow card offence in football is subject to whether the player has already been booked or not.

Perhaps- but watch that incident juxtaposed against the WBA player who wasn’t carded and tell me it is a) consistent and b) fair.  You could argue that Sainz saw their guy get away with it so did the same - refs need to be consistent. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Rules are only worthwhile if they're applied consistently He has done nothing plenty of other players have done regularly this season with no punishment, regardless of what the EFL said at the start of the season. Sending off was excessive and has wrecked the game. Referees just arbitarily getting strict on rules if they're in a huff is not acceptable.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 minute ago, 7HAR1980 said:

Watch the replay, he didn't go screaming and shouting at the ref.

OK just seen it again.

Waved an imaginary card.

Everybody knows that's a yellow card now, so opinion hasn't changed - stupid thing to do.

• Like 1

You used to see poncy card waiving in Europe, Spain and Italy especially. 

If Sainz can't speak English that's not the ref's problem.

11 minutes ago, mrdi said:

If you do the ‘give him a card’ motion to the ref, you deserve a card yourself. I’ve always hated players doing that. 

But then I also think players should get a yellow for committing a foul throw-in, so… 

With you in charge it would be just a couple of players on each side by the end!

• Like 1

Whatever the rules, sainz has shown a total lack of discipline and has almost certainly cost us the chance for three points and in all likelihood one point as well.

Right or wrong, silly unnecessary booking that sainz needs to eradicate from his game. For all the promise of his excellent start, he’s no good to us if he’s unavailable!

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Perhaps- but watch that incident juxtaposed against the WBA player who wasn’t carded and tell me it is a) consistent and b) fair.  You could argue that Sainz saw their guy get away with it so did the same.

I didn't see the West Brom player do it, but if he did, then he obviously should've been booked as well.