Bradwell canary

Good or bad news?

Gibson nearly fit enough to be considered.

Oh dear!

Not a coincidence that form has improved since his injury. Furthermore Gunn will be more busy than normal, picking up all the back passes, sometimes from the halfway line.

7 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

Oh dear!

Not a coincidence that form has improved since his injury. Furthermore Gunn will be more busy than normal, picking up all the back passes, sometimes from the halfway line.

When he is back fully fit, it will be interesting to see if Wagner keeps playing Kenny at CB. 

41 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

Oh dear!

If it is true that Gibson is now our highest earner after Krul and Pukki left then I should imagine that the club is counting down the days to 30th June 2024 to get him off the payroll. 

Should imagine he'll back to Middlesbrough in the summer to play for his uncle?

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Wagner hinted of some outgoings in January. Gibson could be one if Hanley stays fit.

Batth was having a good chinwag with some of the Wednesday coach staff after the last home game - wouldn’t be surprised to see him make a move in January which might dictate whether Gibson stays or goes. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised to see both of them move on. 

• Haha 1

Gibson's one I wouldn't mind see going. He's a more "European" sort of centre-half who relies on anticipation to pick the ball up rather than tackle to get the ball. We could use someone left-footed who puts a foot in more, and can play out with it.

Gibson I believe is out of contract in the summer. Get rid of him for a few £££ while we can.  I don't want to see him play again this season

Gibson is a conundrum of a player, when he has a good game he is probably the best CB at the club, however that’s normally followed by a couple of 5/6 out of 10 games then his head totally goes and he becomes a total liability and an obvious 3/10. When he is at the low point it looks like he scared stiff when the ball is played to him and either passes the ball like a hot potato to a player who isn’t free or the opposition. My view, as top earner at the club he needs to move on, will caveat that, if he had a Skipp type player shielding him he wouu u ld probably be ok for another season.

33 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

Gibson I believe is out of contract in the summer. Get rid of him for a few £££ while we can.  I don't want to see him play again this season

£1/2 m if we’re lucky? 

Gibson apparently was our best defender in the non season behind closed doors. On the strength of those performances, or contractually because we won promotion, we signed him permanently. It seems since the supporters have been back he makes mistakes under pressure. Perhaps it's the football equivalent of stage fright.

4 hours ago, Bradwell canary said:

Oh dear!

However he was in the team for the strong start to the season 🙂

Hes a starter for me when fit. The fewer injuries, the better. Simple as that.

25 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Gibson apparently was our best defender in the non season behind closed doors. On the strength of those performances, or contractually because we won promotion, we signed him permanently. It seems since the supporters have been back he makes mistakes under pressure. Perhaps it's the football equivalent of stage fright.

This has often been my take on Gibson. There's a reluctance and hesitation in him that doesn't exist in, say, Kenny McLean playing out from the back. I think he responds very actively to the crowd, and if the crowd are nervous any time he's near the ball...

Good news, obviously. 

I honestly can’t get my head around anyone considering one of our own players returning from injury to be ‘bad news’. It’s just… weird. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Given that Idah is doing well at the moment, has Gibson become the club scapegoat now?

Anyone got stats for goals when Idah starts or comes off the bench? Am I wrong in thinking even he is relieved if he’s on the bench. 

I think there is zero chance of us getting a fee for him if he leaves in January.  Personally I would keep him as long as we believe we have a chance of promotion.  Left footed CB’s are valuable.

• Like 1

He's getting paid enough, he's an experienced operator. What's bad about having him available.

He doesn't get a wage reduction when injured.

On balance, it will be good news to have him off the wage bill though. Not so sure about Giannoulis.

14 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

If it is true that Gibson is now our highest earner after Krul and Pukki left then I should imagine that the club is counting down the days to 30th June 2024 to get him off the payroll. 

Should imagine he'll back to Middlesbrough in the summer to play for his uncle?

Pukki was our highest paid player at £50k a week. So yes Gibson is now our highest paid at 40k (ouch) a week. Krul was on 25k when he left.

Gibson and Middlesbrough still seems like a good fit.

Bearing in mind the ridicule thrown at Duffy at times I'm surprised no one has suggested McLean and Gibbo as a pairing 😜

Gibson is actually a way better passer than Duffy.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Gibson is actually a way better passer than Duffy.

But sometimes spends far too much time standing on the ball to pick a pass so he often slows us down when we're on the front foot and we lose momentum. That is actually my main issue with him.

Although it was infuriating from the South Stand at the Preston game seeing Fisher in acres of space down that right side on several occasions and Duffy opting not to pass to him, I don't know if that was due to Wagner's tactical instructions or because Duffy didn't trust him for whatever reason. Fisher had put a couple of quality crosses in prior to that.

13 hours ago, Harry53 said:

For a few ££££ ?

He still has six months left on his contract. I cannot see anyone offering anything like what he is on with us, so why would he want to leave.

• Like 1

Seems I am in the minority thinking Gibson is a good player. Good passer and organiser. The reason all are centre backs look hopeless at times is the system Wagner uses meaning if a team is able to play through the high press which they often do. Our centre backs are then left out numbered and isolated against skilful opponents. At times this season it looks like  we are playing a 2-4-4 formation instead of a 4-4-2. 

His contract is up at the end of season will be interesting what the club and player do. Will we offer an extension to keep him on vastly lower wages or will he become a free agent and see if he can sign one more contract on his current wage levels.

Although it’s an unpopular stand point I would try to retain him we are a mid table championship team Gibson is a mid table championship centre back why would we give away someone potentially to a rival who will be hard to replace.

• Like 1

Gibson was our best CB before he was injured. Much better than Duffy was performing, making far less goal-conceding errors and better on the ball too.

Ultimately once he got injured we were far worse at CB with Duffy and Warner vs Blackburn and lost 3-1. I don't expect he'll come straight back in unless there is need for Kenny in midfield.

17 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

But sometimes spends far too much time standing on the ball to pick a pass so he often slows us down when we're on the front foot and we lose momentum. That is actually my main issue with him.

This is intentional and something all our CB's do. Ultimately if they're confident on the ball the CB's will invite the press from a striker to open up space. Ben Gibson is statistically our best CB for "passing beyond a press". This is often to Gianoullis. If Gibson can also take a CF out of the equation he'll open up an inside run for Gini or it'll offer Gini a simple inside pass to a CM like Sara.

Mclean also stands on the ball but the difference is his physicality and ability as a midfielder means he can sometimes simply dribble past the initial press to open space.

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

He doesn't get a wage reduction when injured.

Well he won't get win bonuses, etc. We've saved a bit in the past month.