S_81

Heckingbottom

About to be out of work. 

I wonder if Knapper and co think he’s the kind of profile they’d want. Should Wagner be toast in the near future. 

Not saying it will happen. But the fact he’s a free agent probably increases the likelihood of him being considered. 

He might not be a free agent when we have a vacancy though.

If he applies we'll probably consider him, but I don’t see him as a data led progressive thinker Knapper will be looking for.

We need the next Arteta....... easy really 😉

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, S_81 said:

About to be out of work. 

I wonder if Knapper and co think he’s the kind of profile they’d want. Should Wagner be toast in the near future. 

Not saying it will happen. But the fact he’s a free agent probably increases the likelihood of him being considered. 

Any chance of an articulated explanation why you are suggesting Heckingbottom and how he fits in with us right now?     

17 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Any chance of an articulated explanation why you are suggesting Heckingbottom and how he fits in with us right now?     

I’m not saying we should. I’m speculating as to whether the club will think we should. 

Does anyone else find that watching Sheffield United this season triggers past trauma from watching us in the Prem in our previous 2 top-flight seasons? I find it uncomfortable to watch these Blades games because I know EXACTLY what that feels like - especially losing to Burnley at the weekend. It's hard not to watch those games and then wonder why I'm so keen for us to get promoted - I mean, that's almost inevitabley what's in store for us in the top flight, right?

But then, I see Idah score a last minute winner and it makes my weekend! The life of a Canaries fan I suppose...

• Like 1

I just get the impression that Heckingbottom is from the same school of coaching as Dean Smith/Chris Wilder & Steve Bruce, I could be doing him a disservice. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling that Graham Potter would / should be on the radar.

'Failed' at a top 10 club, but has proved at Brighton that he can lead a project. In a instinctive way, I feel that his face would fit.

21 minutes ago, Pugin said:

'Failed' at a top 10 club, but has proved at Brighton that he can lead a project. In an instinctive way, I feel that his face would fit.

That’s dreamworld stuff. He’s aiming miles higher than us for his next job. Would love it to happen. But it’s more likely we get Brian Potter than Graham. With Delia bouncing on Sammy the Snake in the car park. 

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Apparently they are lining up Chris Wilder to replace him at Shef Utd.

Never go back.

47 minutes ago, Pugin said:

'Failed' at a top 10 club, but has proved at Brighton that he can lead a project. In an instinctive way, I feel that his face would fit.

He turned down Leicester at the start of the season…….

We shouldn’t be hiring people who have been sacked, our most recent successes came from hiring people on the up and paying comp, being cheap on the manager is short sighted.

I cannot resist wanting a complete unknown in the image of Ben Knapper himself. An up to date "football man" with modern ideas both technically and in accord with the facilities at our 'famously advanced' training ground. A step forward, such as when Daniel Farke was appointed, and not backwards as I have perceived the outcomes of both Smith and Wagner to have been. Also, men with the best and most pertinent connections in order to follow this route. 

Perhaps it's daydreaming, putting all the eggs in one basket or being influenced by the transformation of Binland, but I'd go for it.

Nobody from that famous merry-go-round, please.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S_81 said:

I’m not saying we should. I’m speculating as to whether the club will think we should. 

Personally think they'll be more concentrating on what we can do with Wagner, I don't think replacing him is on the agenda right now unless things became so untenable.  We have players coming back, and will only improve with what we have.

Furthermore, Any successor to the role would be based on suitability and longer term planning, not whether they've just found themselves out of work or not.  It'd just be Smith all over again.

Edited by Google Bot

6 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Personally think they'll be more concentrating on what we can do with Wagner, I don't think replacing him is on the agenda right now unless things became so untenable.  We have players coming back, and will only improve with what we have.

Furthermore, Any successor to the role would be based on suitability and longer term planning, not whether they've just found themselves out of work or not.  It'd just be Smith all over again.

Especially as he is on a rolling contract. If he starts struggling again, let it run and let him walk - just make sure you're sounding out potential managers in the meantime. But it makes perfect sense for Knapper to let Wagner have a go to the end of said rolling contract and see what he can get right now.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

But it makes perfect sense for Knapper to let Wagner have a go to the end of said rolling contract and see what he can get right now.

It's almost a free shot for Knapper too when you think it through, if it goes **** up with Wagner it will all be classed as Webber's mistake anyway when we did get rid.

However, If Knapper made the decision to change now, then everyone would begin the judgement of his tenure from this point onwards.

If he's smart he won't rush things, a destructor like Webber is all about rapid change - but we need someone now to come in and give us more longterm strategy despite the fans who want blood.

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

I think you’re right. But I hope you’re wrong - as Wagner just isn’t up to it. 

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Especially as he is on a rolling contract. If he starts struggling again, let it run and let him walk - just make sure you're sounding out potential managers in the meantime. But it makes perfect sense for Knapper to let Wagner have a go to the end of said rolling contract and see what he can get right now.

eh ?

"let it run and let him walk"

explain

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

eh ?

"let it run and let him walk"

explain

Basically, let him work to the end of his contract, then don't renew it. Shouldn't have any or indeed much severance to pay then (but that will depend on the T&Cs) but it still gives Knapper time to look for potential managers who would come in.