hogesar

Cantwell Speaks Out Norwich / Webber / Farke / Smith

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

My understanding was Lambert wanted to get some of the high earners off the wage bill- I think Russell was also in that little group- to get some wiggle room in the transfer market. Didn't last long though.

I know it happens but Farke seemed a particular enthusiast for banishment.

Not sure what you mean about soap opera though. If these things happen, they'll get discussed.

It's strange how fragile football is to these decisions. Lambert had got rid of Wes he would never have been famous. Oh apart from that champions league medal. And what if Pukki had been injured in August 2019 like Sargent this season. I reckon Farke would have been gone by bonfire night and never been famous. Would Todd still have had the stage to shine if it wasn't for Emi and Pukki? Little things fall together to temporarily make players/managers into superstars. The ones who keep that status beyond where it all fell into place are the real stars.

• Like 9

I always got the impression that contracts are were were the main reason relationship between Cantwell/his agent and Webber never really got going.

That being said a workmate's sister went to school with him and he was apparently always a bit of a billy big **** 'do you know who i am?' type. I'd imagine that this interview is full of half truths. 

Edited by KeiranShikari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I can't be bothered to watch the whole thing so can someone tell me- did this happen under Farke or Smith?

Farke.  Who Cantwell seems to speak highly of. But who he admits he should not have gone to see the day before the game to question why he wasn’t it the squad. 

Which then timed with a further stint in the U23s - from which he didn’t recover. 

11 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Not watched it, but from the description how is it Webber's fault? And just because he'd had a family tragedy doesn't mean he didn't have a bad attitude? He was out for a few weeks for personal reasons, sounds like he expected to waltz straight back into the squad, kicked off when he didn't and then didn't react well...

This...and we know what happens to players who step out of line under Farke - it is about the group not individuals. He had his time off - for good reason - and then his job was to train himself back into contention, not go in and say "it's not fair". 

I remember Farke saying "he's 23 now, not a teenager" (or words to that effect) around that time.

That push back by Farke combined with the bad relationship with Webber must have been hard for Todd to deal with, but he contributed to that through his own actions, stalling over contracts and then questioning the manager. 

• Like 2

Given the way Webber talks about and treats the clubs fan base, I 100% think Todd is right..

Seem to remember Webber being dismissive of others as the left or just before.. can not wait for someone with class to take over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I can't be bothered to watch the whole thing so can someone tell me- did this happen under Farke or Smith?

I think that's a key question. If the answer is Farke and he said he had a great relationship with him, I think he may be leaving out some key details from the conversation and maybe, he didn't "just ask" why he wasn't in the squad.

Honestly, I don't really care enough to watch it. I have no particular reason, inside knowledge or anything, but he always comes across as a self obsessed tw*t to me. 

21 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Not watched it, but from the description how is it Webber's fault? And just because he'd had a family tragedy doesn't mean he didn't have a bad attitude? He was out for a few weeks for personal reasons, sounds like he expected to waltz straight back into the squad, kicked off when he didn't and then didn't react well...

From what I listened to I didn’t hear any criticism about Webber from Cantwell, bar his loaded comments that he had no relationship with him but some players did. 

I expect Cantwell played billy big b0llocks in Farke’s office ahead of being left out the Brighton squad and Daniel wasn’t one for that. As Gnonto found out at Leeds recently. 

In theory Webber could have played a role in that from assessing Cantwell’s performance. But Cantwell doesn’t say so. 

He certainly admitted it wasn’t a good idea going to Farke before the match. 

Interesting bit about "weaponising" his bereavement - hints of Webber in the background for that. Feels that he lost the ability to change the narrative, but didn't want to drag Delia et al into the process, has nothing but love and respect for Norwich. Thought about walking away from football - went for Rangers, rather than another club that offered more cash. 57 mins in but on the whole seems reasonable, focused and not as toxic as you would expect.   

9 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I think that's a key question. If the answer is Farke and he said he had a great relationship with him, I think he may be leaving out some key details from the conversation and maybe, he didn't "just ask" why he wasn't in the squad.

Honestly, I don't really care enough to watch it. I have no particular reason, inside knowledge or anything, but he always comes across as a self obsessed tw*t to me. 

I suspect Farke froze him out. But that hasn’t led Cantwell to criticise him.  In part because he says he doesn’t want to burn bridges. He also says Leeds came close to signing him at one point. So perhaps he harbours hope that move may still come to fruition. 
Farke of course may feel differently. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S_81 said:

I suspect Farke froze him out. But that hasn’t led Cantwell to criticise him.  In part because he says he doesn’t want to burn bridges. He also says Leeds came close to signing him at one point. So perhaps he harbours hope that move may still come to fruition. 
Farke of course may feel differently. 

As others have said,  farke was always about a team not individuals , over step the mark and you are in the dog house. The players knew their roles and that's what made average players a good team..

My mate is a Rangers fan and they are now turning on him ( the fans} perhaps he still want people to feel sorry for him. I for one don’t care in the slightest about him and his big mouth

I haven't and won't watch the interview but it seems, as has been typical, that Todd is a bit all over the place? He loves Norwich but hates the fan for commenting on his hair? Farke is great but also terrible for freezing him out of the starting XI? The club/Webber gave him significant time off for family matters but then don't let him back in right away? I still don't "get" the lad after all these years ...

And this fight with Farke ... how is it Farke's fault that Cantwell is playing like absolute sh*t in the winter of 2021-2022 and then gets loaned out to the Bournemouth where he does f*ck all?

55 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Given the way Webber talks about and treats the clubs fan base, I 100% think Todd is right..

Seem to remember Webber being dismissive of others as the left or just before.. can not wait for someone with class to take over.

This feels overly simplistic. 

I think when you take a step back its quite clear that the club (Webber) failed Todd but Todd also has to take responsibility. 

And as Todd himself says, other players had no problem forming relationships with Webber.

I like Todd and wish him well. Shame it hasn't worked here.

Todd himself also mentions that he's a lot more sensible now which is obviously an admission that he hasn't always been. Clearly more to this than big bad Webber not liking a player.

2 hours ago, Bert said:

What a ** that boy is, he isn’t very popular either up in Scotland especially in one side of Glasgow 

No players who are attached to Rangers are popular with the Celtic catholics 

Another case of so called religion 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

This...and we know what happens to players who step out of line under Farke - it is about the group not individuals. He had his time off - for good reason - and then his job was to train himself back into contention, not go in and say "it's not fair". 

I remember Farke saying "he's 23 now, not a teenager" (or words to that effect) around that time.

That push back by Farke combined with the bad relationship with Webber must have been hard for Todd to deal with, but he contributed to that through his own actions, stalling over contracts and then questioning the manager. 

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head Lakey. I very much doubt Cantwell did his best John le Messurier impersonation when he queried why he wasn’t back in the team. He forgot who was boss and it’s more likely he argued the toss too much for Farke when throwing his toys out of the pram.

Let’s hope for his sake the new guy at Rangers is to his taste.

Not really keen on the tantrum Cantwell but how things are heading with current over age has been, would beens  and no hopers Webber/ Wagner have at their disposal then a creative Cantwell would have at least assured Championship status

There are facts and suppositions, two sides to every story etc.

One fact is that a multi million pound player ended up leaving for nothing - for whatever reason. That is monumentally bad management for a self sufficient club like ours.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

There are facts and suppositions, two sides to every story etc.

One fact is that a multi million pound player ended up leaving for nothing - for whatever reason. That is monumentally bad management for a self sufficient club like ours.

Yes and no - theres an element of damned if you do and damned if you don’t with holding onto players - the optimum selling point doesn’t necessarily fit with the club’s own plans/situation.  They tried to shift him in but it didn’t work out.  It may have not worked out  with Todd, but there are a fair number of relative successes.

My main take is that this is just a yawnfest - ex employee moaning about some of his former employers shocker.  Hopefully everyone will now move on, and he can get in with his career.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yes and no - theres an element of damned if you do and damned if you don’t with holding onto players - the optimum selling point doesn’t necessarily fit with the club’s own plans/situation.  They tried to shift him in but it didn’t work out.  It may have not worked out  with Todd, but there are a fair number of relative successes.

My main take is that this is just a yawnfest - ex employee moaning about some of his former employers shocker.  Hopefully everyone will now move on, and he can get in with his career.

Yes can agree with that and obviously it’s all 20/20 vision with hindsight. However when someone is paid mega bucks to maximise multi million pound assets (money wise not playing wise) then to not spot Cantwell needed shifting before his worth reduced to £0 really is a spectacular fail in my eyes.

Yawn fest certainly.

I look forward to the usual characters on myfootballer scribbler highlighting his praise for D and M. 

8 hours ago, percy varco said:

One day the truth may come out. There do appear to be some parts missing to suit the storey

This is wrong on so many levels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I guess with Farke, it would be a case of seeing him in his office and saying, "I'm going to train really hard and show you I deserve a place in the team" rather than "I've trained really hard and should be in the team".

Managers and coaches put so much emphasis on training now when it comes to team selection. It feels as if performance and effort in training almost comes above form on the pitch, especially if the latter doesn't coincide with the former.

Long gone are the days when the great Liverpool, Leeds and Forest sides, amongst others, rolled in at 11, played a bit of 5 a side for an hour or so before heading off for an afternoon of golf or to the races. Maybe that's the secret!

16 hours ago, hogesar said:

He's entitled to his opinion, I just frankly wont listen to anything that comes out of his mouth. Some people are just quite frankly annoying.

I've just finished the Beckham doc. The contrast between his reaction when Capello froze him out at Madrid and Cantwell's says it all. Beckham turns up every day and works his **** off to get back in, changes the manager's mind and helps them win the league... and this from the biggest player in the world and an England captain. 

10 hours ago, percy varco said:

One day the truth may come out. There do appear to be some parts missing to suit the storey

Who's story would you believe as the truth though? As far as I'm aware Farke has said nothing since and nor would I expect him to. I can't imagine Webber will have cause to mention it again either, unless he one day writes a book.